What is the secret to the series' longevity?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: What is the secret to the series' longevity?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:54 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:55 am
I think Mai was in her early 30s in her first appearance, mid 20s at the very least. Assuming she was indeed thirty, then: AGE 749 - 30 = AGE 719. AGE 719 + 70 = AGE 789. She is around seventy years old in the beginning of Dragon Ball GT.
When it comes to age... Bulma's parents exist.
Never really bothered to think much about it at that point :p

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:04 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:54 pmWhen it comes to age... Bulma's parents exist.
Never really bothered to think much about it at that point :p
Toriyama says they are at least seventy at the time of Movie 14. That would mean they were around twenty-five whey they had Bulma. But Tights exists, so they must be a bit older than that.

Let's see if we can work something out:

• AGE 778 - 75 = AGE 703 (The couple's birth year).
• AGE 703 + 19 = AGE 722 (Tights birth year).
• AGE 703 + 30 = AGE 733 (Bulma's birth year).

I guess we can assume they were nineteen when they had Tights, and thirty when they had Bulma, if we accept they are seventy-five during the events of Movie 14.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:43 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:04 am Toriyama says they are at least seventy at the time of Movie 14. That would mean they were around twenty-five whey they had Bulma. But Tights exists, so they must be a bit older than that.
Well I meant it more in the sense of their appearance than anything else.

Also:
Movie 14
Why is it that people categorize BoG and RoF as continuing from the line of the non-canon Z movies? Never understood this, the demarcation line seems pretty clearly drawn to me (they also don't have over the top titles like 2-13).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:54 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:43 am
Why is it that people categorize BoG and RoF as continuing from the line of the non-canon Z movies? Never understood this, the demarcation line seems pretty clearly drawn to me (they also don't have over the top titles like 2-13).
They're still the 14th and 15th Z movies *shrug*

It's not like canon and non-canon has ever been a thing Toei has ever concerned themselves with. The 13 Z movies exist when it's convenient (video games, when Toei needs original material for the anime) and de-exist when its convenient (when they're following Toriyama's story)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:36 pm

I think that it's a regurgitating effect. Prior generations of fans are introducing the work to the current generation, and as a result the series has continued. I don't know how much longer that will last, unless Dragon Ball changes, because the world and art surrounding Dragon Ball are always changing. Newer works have learned from older works, so if older works are to remain any sort of relevant they will also have to learn from newer works, which is hardly something new for Dragon Ball considering its wide-range of different influences over the course of it's initial eleven year serialization.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:41 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:54 am They're still the 14th and 15th Z movies *shrug*

It's not like canon and non-canon has ever been a thing Toei has ever concerned themselves with. The 13 Z movies exist when it's convenient (video games, when Toei needs original material for the anime) and de-exist when its convenient (when they're following Toriyama's story)
While this is true, it just has this strange effect of putting them in the same group as though they were actually alike. There's also the actual titles not being as hard to remember or as different between EN and JP as the previous 13 (actually 12 because the first Z movie is just called "Dragon Ball Z" in JP without any episode title-esque add-ons).
At least that's how it comes off personally with the "next in line" type of speaking.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:43 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:41 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:54 am They're still the 14th and 15th Z movies *shrug*

While this is true, it just has this strange effect of putting them in the same group as though they were actually alike. There's also the actual titles not being as hard to remember or as different between EN and JP as the previous 13 (actually 12 because the first Z movie is just called "Dragon Ball Z" in JP without any episode title-esque add-ons).
At least that's how it comes off personally with the "next in line" type of speaking.
From a broader narrative...they are the next in line? In-universe continuity isn't the only way to look at things.
She/Her
bisexual milf

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:05 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:43 pm From a broader narrative...they are the next in line? In-universe continuity isn't the only way to look at things.
At which point it just boils down to the fact that they're movies without regarding any other details.
(Feeling unsure atm of why I made a discussion out of that... don't know if I knew what it is I was doing.)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:08 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:43 amWhy is it that people categorize BoG and RoF as continuing from the line of the non-canon Z movies? Never understood this, the demarcation line seems pretty clearly drawn to me (they also don't have over the top titles like 2-13).
That's one of the questions we ask out of life. I mean, why is it that people are so obsessed with this imbecilic bullshit that is "canon"? Nevertheless, you got your answer. After "Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won’t Do it, Who Will?", the thirteenth Dragon Ball Z movie, comes "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods", making it the fourteenth Dragon Ball Z movie. I don't think I'll ever get my answer, though. :(
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:58 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:08 pm That's one of the questions we ask out of life. I mean, why is it that people are so obsessed with this imbecilic bullshit that is "canon"?
Not primarily speaking as a participant to that whole question. It's just a convenient label to use, but even without it one can see that they're different kinds of movies. Is there any other better way to categorize them then if this one isn't to everyone's liking?
But I suppose it's no problem, JP Wikipedia also counts the movies this way (although they also count all movies made under the "Dragon Ball" branding so from the first one to RoF is 19 movies in total, while the ones with the "Z" branding is 15).

I mean I did get that reason for counting them like that but am not really one to use it myself as I find the titles easy to use.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:18 pm

It has interesting and well developed characters from which we get to see 50 years of their lives. Their thoughts and interactions with one another feel real as the characters in a good book novel.

It is a thriller combined with sci-fi and comedy, sort of like back to the future, who would not enjoy something like that? in any given time period?

The music is suberb as john williams with starwars

Those are the three things in the back of my head.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:36 pm

It's just that damn good and there's nothing like it. That's the short of it. You can read into that what you will. Even nearly 40 years after it was published, it's still special.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:49 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:36 pm I think that it's a regurgitating effect. Prior generations of fans are introducing the work to the current generation, and as a result the series has continued. I don't know how much longer that will last, unless Dragon Ball changes, because the world and art surrounding Dragon Ball are always changing. Newer works have learned from older works, so if older works are to remain any sort of relevant they will also have to learn from newer works, which is hardly something new for Dragon Ball considering its wide-range of different influences over the course of it's initial eleven year serialization.
Can Dragon Ball really change at this point though? I mean the original series for all intents and purpose ended in 1995. As far as Toriyama was concerned It wasn't ever supposed to get a new serialization in the first place. The fact that this happened at all is kinda shocking.
If it truly can change then I'm open to it, but the only story to come out of this revival that really pushed the franchise into completely new territory was Battle of Gods. And, we're 10 years removed from that now.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:01 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:49 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:36 pm I think that it's a regurgitating effect. Prior generations of fans are introducing the work to the current generation, and as a result the series has continued. I don't know how much longer that will last, unless Dragon Ball changes, because the world and art surrounding Dragon Ball are always changing. Newer works have learned from older works, so if older works are to remain any sort of relevant they will also have to learn from newer works, which is hardly something new for Dragon Ball considering its wide-range of different influences over the course of it's initial eleven year serialization.
Can Dragon Ball really change at this point though? I mean the original series for all intents and purpose ended in 1995. As far as Toriyama was concerned It wasn't ever supposed to get a new serialization in the first place. The fact that this happened at all is kinda shocking.
If it truly can change then I'm open to it, but the only story to come out of this revival that really pushed the franchise into completely new territory was Battle of Gods. And, we're 10 years removed from that now.
As a franchise? Change is inevitable, so yes, Dragon Ball has, can and will continue to change, both in commercial and fandom hands.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:36 pm

It will last a pretty long time. Even beyond our natural lives. I'm moreso talking from an American point of view. But 80s, 90s, and early-mid 2000s babies all grew up on Dragon Ball Z in some form. The Toonami Airings, Reruns, Video Games(Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi 3 are still popular to this day), DBZ Kai, BoG, RoF, and Dragon Ball Super all provided life to the series. We as hardcore fans might nitpick but casual fans aren't as picky. Now in the age of social media and the internet the lines of casual and hardcore fans have been blurred at times but that's another subject for another day.

Especially for late 90s-Early 2000s babies whom are not in their 30s still actively enjoying the series. Younger siblings or family members would watch it with them too. If they have kids they might watch it while raising their child. Similar to me watching DBZ as a 3-4 year old. I actually think Dragon Ball's simplicity HELPS. For the most part it's easy to follow and that allows people of ALL age ranges to enjoy it. I just can't imagine Dragon Ball not being passed down for generations to come. I don't think DB is going the SuperMan route where he lost popularity. I'm not saying DBZ will always be the topic of discussion but rather a respectable older franchise that occasionally still make modern material.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key