Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:14 pm

I wonder if this is supposed to air at the end of the next manga arc so it'll sorta tie in with it. Granted it would mean that the next manga story'll be hella short but I think it'd be kinda weird if we had two major brand new story lines happening at the same time. I know it was like that when the Super anime was airing but at that the time Manga was playing catch up with what we've already seen animated.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:42 am

Another thing that strengthens the theory that this could take place before BoG is that Beerus, while awake, would hardly let Kaioshin go on a dangerous journey that could result in his death, and if the Kaioshin dies, Beerus also dies. Unless after the Super Hero Arc he goes back to sleep of course, then it would make sense for that to happen, but I still think this takes place during Gohan and Videl's wedding

Important edit: just decided to take another look at the official info we have so far, and this got my attention "worldwide release", this is interesting, could a DB TV series really be released worldwidely at the same date? AFAIK this never happened to any series from the franchise before, I can see that happening if it was a web anime, but we still don't know if it's going to be a web series or not, maybe this indicates that it's indeed a web series and every country will be able to follow it at the same time? (Dubs apart, I don't care about dubs, actually I personally believe if we really see a worldwide release of the series then it's going to be a worlwide sub release only, not dub)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:33 am

I mean in this day and age simulcasting is just the norm. It will certainly have an English sub release on day one, at least, which... makes it accessible to most of the world really. Heck, back when Super was airing it was if anything weird that it took them a whole year to get a simulcast going, because even back then it was kind of just expected that every show anyone cared about would get a simulcast.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:13 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:49 pm Seconding this. This seems to be treated as a foregone conclusion because... Beerus and Whis aren't present?
Goten being back to his Goku-like hairstyle is a sign this might indeed be set sometime before BoG.

For example when Bulma and Chichi got turned Chibi they kept their hairstyles. Why would shrinking Goten give him his kid-self, Goku-like hairstyle back, if he has long hair as a teenager now? And why would it make Goten and Trunks babies, if they were teenagers? They probably should've only shrunk back to being kids.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:03 am

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:13 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:49 pm Seconding this. This seems to be treated as a foregone conclusion because... Beerus and Whis aren't present?
Goten being back to his Goku-like hairstyle is a sign this might indeed be set sometime before BoG.

For example when Bulma and Chichi got turned Chibi they kept their hairstyles. Why would shrinking Goten give him his kid-self, Goku-like hairstyle back, if he has long hair as a teenager now? And why would it make Goten and Trunks babies, if they were teenagers? They probably should've only shrunk back to being kids.
Goten wore the Goku hairstyle for all of Super until Super Heroes. It could be before Super Heroes. It could also just be Toriyama using Goten's more iconic hairstyle for baby Goten for some reason.

HulkTySSJ5

Post by HulkTySSJ5 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:39 am

99% sure this will be before Battle of Gods... In fact, what if not much time passes in the show, and the party they're at in the trailer is just postponed to be the one in Battle of Gods? Lol
I do wish this was after Superhero though... It would make the tension MUCH higher time wise, it would be far more stressful as Bra and Pan would probably be unborn, and it would mean there's a chance that Goku KEEPS the Power Pole.

If this is before Battle of Gods, the pole will either go back after restoring their bodies or brake in the series beyond repair.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:43 am

I doubt that the Nyou-i-bou will break. That seems like a decisive move that Toriyama would not go for.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:46 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:43 am I doubt that the Nyou-i-bou will break. That seems like a decisive move that Toriyama would not go for.
Definitely not.

He'd probably save that for a particularly dramatic moment in a full-on proper story arc with major stakes, since it'd mark the death of Goku's childhood in a sense.

And given how vehemently against that kinda thing he tends to be, I doubt we'd see it get broken anyways.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:53 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:43 am I doubt that the Nyou-i-bou will break. That seems like a decisive move that Toriyama would not go for.
Pardon me for doing this again, but I would like to say it in JP this time:
Just thinking it might be good to remember what we're all aiming for on this site.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:59 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:46 am
Definitely not.

He'd probably save that for a particularly dramatic moment in a full-on proper story arc with major stakes, since it'd mark the death of Goku's childhood in a sense.

And given how vehemently against that kinda thing he tends to be, I doubt we'd see it get broken anyways.
Honestly, I just don't really expect Toriyama to think in ways of symbolism. The guy seems as divorced from wanting to draw out any sort of emotion or meaning to his writing as possible, which, honestly, just makes his writing a drag to get through unless someone else is adding oomph to it.
GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:53 am
Pardon me, but I would like to say it in JP this time:
Just thinking it might be good to remember what we're all aiming for on this site.
it must be nice to be young, healthy and full of energy
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:05 am

Pretty much a zero chance it will all air at once, ReLIFE is the only anime I know of to ever do that outside of Netflix anime.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:23 pm

I'll give you Kibito as I forgot that Shin and Kibito were still fused until half way through the Beerus arc. So yeah, unless there's alternate time-line shenanigans, this probably does take place during Super. Where I will plant my flag is that this is meant to be a canonical continuation of "Super." As in: I don't think that this is meant to follow Super Hero. Because why would it? Never mind that that would assume that, despite how many years this was likely in production, that Toei has some master plan for the Super which...nah? I think if anything, Toei haphazardly adapting films as "canonical storylines" says more that Toei is just kinda making it up as it goes along.

More importantly, a lot of what is shown in that footage does not line up with this interpretation. I don't really buy that Goku's Gi tells us anything about where this story takes place as it pretty much looks like Goku's Gi in general. It lacks Whis' mark or the Galaxy Police mark that would place it within Super's Timeline.

I do think its significant that Whis and Beerus are not in this trailer: Those two are easily the breakout characters of Super and have been pretty much associated with that franchise since the beginning. To not feature those two is very much a "choice." Just like it's a choice to specifically focus on the Buu Saga as well as only feature characters that were essential to that arc. The fact that the cast shown thus far are closer to their Buu variants (specifically Chi-Chi and Bulma who are both wearing their haircuts and clothing from that arc) is a choice. It's too specific of a choice to not tell us something about where this anime will likely take place, or at the very least what Daima is pulling from.

At the end of the day, this is meant as a project meant to celebrate Dragon Ball as a whole. So it's likely that canon doens't factor into this at all, and this is just a fun little aside.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:29 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:42 am Another thing that strengthens the theory that this could take place before BoG is that Beerus, while awake, would hardly let Kaioshin go on a dangerous journey that could result in his death, and if the Kaioshin dies, Beerus also dies. Unless after the Super Hero Arc he goes back to sleep of course, then it would make sense for that to happen, but I still think this takes place during Gohan and Videl's wedding
kemuri07 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:23 pm I'll give you Kibito as I forgot that Shin and Kibito were still fused until half way through the Beerus arc. So yeah, unless there's alternate time-line shenanigans, this probably does take place during Super. Where I will plant my flag is that this is meant to be a canonical continuation of "Super." As in: I don't think that this is meant to follow Super Hero. Because why would it? Never mind that that would assume that, despite how many years this was likely in production, that Toei has some master plan for the Super which...nah? I think if anything, Toei haphazardly adapting films as "canonical storylines" says more that Toei is just kinda making it up as it goes along.

More importantly, a lot of what is shown in that footage does not line up with this interpretation. I don't really buy that Goku's Gi tells us anything about where this story takes place as it pretty much looks like Goku's Gi in general. It lacks Whis' mark or the Galaxy Police mark that would place it within Super's Timeline.

I do think its significant that Whis and Beerus are not in this trailer: Those two are easily the breakout characters of Super and have been pretty much associated with that franchise since the beginning. To not feature those two is very much a "choice." Just like it's a choice to specifically focus on the Buu Saga as well as only feature characters that were essential to that arc. The fact that the cast shown thus far are closer to their Buu variants (specifically Chi-Chi and Bulma who are both wearing their haircuts and clothing from that arc) is a choice. It's too specific of a choice to not tell us something about where this anime will likely take place, or at the very least what Daima is pulling from.

At the end of the day, this is meant as a project meant to celebrate Dragon Ball as a whole. So it's likely that canon doens't factor into this at all, and this is just a fun little aside.
Honestly? All of this, combined with how DB has been playing up the 'multiverse/alternate realities' concept (even more in recent years than they normally have) has been making me think that Daima is kicking off what's essentially the start of a 'new reality', where Beerus and Whis never met the Dragon Team. Frankly, I'm hoping that IS the case, as I'd love to see an 'alternate reality' for DB that's not so broken by the power scaling and goes back to Toriyama's gag-infused Dragon Ball. Heaven knows this series is at its most fun (and Toriyama himself is at his best) when the gags are played up, IMO.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:07 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:23 pm .

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up so self-contained and inconsequential that it could take place literally any point after Buu and before the epilogue

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:36 pm

I see people say that Toei can't do Daima and Super at the same time, but I don't see how? You can easily have different animated teams working on different titles. Dima is a webseries meanwhile Super airs on TV. It's like how Kamen Rider had a web series like Amazons while also having the main series airing on TV.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:03 am

I have a theory about the Kibitoshin thing.

Note that while some other characters (such as Goku and Vegeta) are seen transforming from adults to kids in the trailer, adult Shin and adult Kibith are never featured, and it might be on purpose.

It all depends on the exact wording of the wish (which we don't know yet), because "make them younger" and "make things as they were in the past" would yield very different outcomes, in fact, including the inability to turn into Super Saiyan amongst other things.

With the latter wording, Kibitoshin might indeed be still fused at the time of the wish, but he can't revert to a child, because there's never been a young Kibitoshin in the first place. Instead, the wish does the next logical thing, splitting Shin and Kibith as a side effect, because that's "how they were in the past".

Thoughts?

edit: I see this has already been suggested on page 20, my fault for not reading all the new posts. Also, Yamcha has scars, so yeah, we can only wait and see.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:04 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:36 pm I see people say that Toei can't do Daima and Super at the same time, but I don't see how? You can easily have different animated teams working on different titles. Dima is a webseries meanwhile Super airs on TV. It's like how Kamen Rider had a web series like Amazons while also having the main series airing on TV.
There are not enough animators and other skilled staff. The anime industry is extremely strapped for staff. Furthermore, the production committee members decline to properly invest the time and money necessary to do two high-quality series at once.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:31 am

I still believe Goten and Trunks will get the short end of the stick in Dragon Ball Daima, just like they got the short end of the stick in DBS Anime.

GT Pan was treated way better than DBS Anime Goten and Trunks.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:47 am

super michael wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:31 am I still believe Goten and Trunks will get the short end of the stick in Dragon Ball Daima, just like they got the short end of the stick in DBS Anime.

GT Pan was treated way better than DBS Anime Goten and Trunks.
Unfortunately, I think you're right.

Toriyama doesn't seem like he really wants to do anything with Goten or Trunks himself, and he may well have chuckled to himself about how he's written them out this time around by making them babies after aging them up in Super Hero.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:37 am

I don't see why it can't take place after Superhero. Beerus can just go back to sleep for another few months or years, and Goku and Vegeta don't always have to be training with Whis.