Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:29 am

We have yet to see Beerus and Whis. Makes me wonder if they will actually show up or not.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kappa
Not Banned

Post by Kappa » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:55 pm

Three things I wanna see in this series:
-Future Trunks. Cuz he's one of my favorites and it would be great to see him again.
-More fusions.
-Lots of cool female characters.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:56 pm

nineko wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:03 am I have a theory about the Kibitoshin thing.

Note that while some other characters (such as Goku and Vegeta) are seen transforming from adults to kids in the trailer, adult Shin and adult Kibith are never featured, and it might be on purpose.
The trailer only showed Goku and Vegeta transforming.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:47 pm

Knowing Toriyama, he could explain that Kibito and Shin never fuse with a retcon if its set before Super.
She/Her

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:44 pm

In his Battle of Gods piece, Toriyama drew Shin unfused.

He's totally going to play by his own rules again. :lol:
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:21 pm

The two only fused to just to show off the Potara Fusion. Kitboshin was pointless and didn't do much anyways. Even in GT, he was a coward because he was running way from Dende and Mr. Popo (Kibitoshin would able to beat them with no effort).
She/Her

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:41 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:44 pm In his Battle of Gods piece, Toriyama drew Shin unfused.

I just noticed, Goten is drawn here with (of all things) the POWER POLE! Toriyama REALLY had Kid Goku on the brain, didn't he? Actually, this makes me wonder... was Goten possibly going to wield the Power Pole (for whatever reason) in Battle of Gods??

I mean, if the Pilaf Gang confused him for his dad before... :lol:

Personally, I'm conflicted here. While it WOULD be pretty neat to see Goten wield the Power Pole, I also really don't want that to occur UNLESS he's NOT looking like his dad when wielding it. Poor little guy is already mostly just known for being Goku's 'mini-me' as it is.

Just saying, it probably wouldn't help him to make THAT connection any stronger than it already is.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:55 pm

Inb4 the Gohan fans realize this means Gohan is stronger now. Since he showed WAY MORE power and potential as a kid than Goku. To be honest I just realized this and it would be so much fun to see.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:02 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:55 pm Inb4 the Gohan fans realize this means Gohan is stronger now. Since he showed WAY MORE power and potential as a kid than Goku. To be honest I just realized this and it would be so much fun to see.
This was on my mind earlier this week, and while I know that tons of folks have been making all kinds of jokes about Gohan and Videl not being affected by the de-aging (for whatever reason) and thus, get stuck with babysitting duty and end up taking care of everyone who doesn't join Goku (and possibly Shin and Kibito) on the journey, I honestly think this might be the most creative way Toriyama could write Gohan out of the 'meat' of this story.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gohan, but it occurred to me that if he were to join his dad on this adventure... well, even if he IS de-aged like everyone else, he might be looked at by everyone (both in AND out-of-universe) as a sort-of "instant fix" to whatever situation the traveling group ends up getting into, given his abnormal strength, even as a toddler. It might take some of the tension out of the story, if that makes sense.

Like, bar the group fighting an enemy that's on Gohan's peak level or something like that, the fanbase might think 'Okay, why are they dragging this out? Shouldn't Gohan be able to wrap this up in a minute, flat?'

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:13 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:44 pm In his Battle of Gods piece, Toriyama drew Shin unfused.

It's amazing how close the art in Dragon Ball Daima is to this!

supershonen

Post by supershonen » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:23 am

I really like this art piece. Even though I consider this style inferior compared to prime toriyama but it still has charm and energy.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:56 pm

We still have a four time year gap between Buu and Beerus. So Dima could easily be set during those four years.
She/Her

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:39 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:55 pm Inb4 the Gohan fans realize this means Gohan is stronger now. Since he showed WAY MORE power and potential as a kid than Goku. To be honest I just realized this and it would be so much fun to see.
I'm looking forward to Gohan being weaker regardless, and seeing the Gohan fans riot in the streets.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:48 pm

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:19 pm

Kibito and Shin looked shock to see each other. So it's possible that the wish defuse them if the series is set after Buu and before Super. Oddly enough, Piccolo didn't refuse if that was the case.
She/Her

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:32 am

Zephyr wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:39 pmI'm looking forward to Gohan being weaker regardless, and seeing the Gohan fans riot in the streets.
I think Gohan keeping a powerup would be more of a surprise at this point. It's not really a subversion anymore if it'll be the third or fourth time he slacks off and loses power again.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:39 am

shadd21 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:48 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59qSwyh17HE

Thoughts on this?
I generally agree. Super was such a waste, being little more than nostalgia bait, and almost completely failing to follow up with where Battle of Gods left us. We have some actually original storylines and concepts with the manga, but let's not bother adapting that. We have to make Gohan vs Cell 2.0: The Movie. I'm not convinced Daima will be much different, though.

Fans: "Finally, something original! Thank you, Toriyama-san!"

Toriyama, probably: "Okay. So Goku is a kid again, and he uses the Power Pole, like he did in the original Dragon Ball. He's going on an adventure through the universe in search of Dragon Balls, like he did in GT, except now Shin is there instead of Trunks and Pan. In order to challenge the great evil, Goku will discover a new transformation, which is totally not Super Saiyan 4, but is just similar enough to evoke nostalgia for it. But, plot twist! The transformation fails, and Goku reverts to his original form. What a subversion of expectations! To finish off the villain for real, Goku will propel himself with a backwards Kamehameha, flying straight through the villain's mid-section, just like he did with King Piccolo. Oh, and Buu will have been absolutely no help this entire time because he's been stuck in hibernation. The fans will definitely find that gag hilarious the third time!"

supershonen

Post by supershonen » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:40 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:39 am
shadd21 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:48 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59qSwyh17HE

Thoughts on this?
I generally agree. Super was such a waste, being little more than nostalgia bait, and almost completely failing to follow up with where Battle of Gods left us. We have some actually original storylines and concepts with the manga, but let's not bother adapting that. We have to make Gohan vs Cell 2.0: The Movie. I'm not convinced Daima will be much different, though.

Fans: "Finally, something original! Thank you, Toriyama-san!"

Toriyama, probably: "Okay. So Goku is a kid again, and he uses the Power Pole, like he did in the original Dragon Ball. He's going on an adventure through the universe in search of Dragon Balls, like he did in GT, except now Shin is there instead of Trunks and Pan. In order to challenge the great evil, Goku will discover a new transformation, which is totally not Super Saiyan 4, but is just similar enough to evoke nostalgia for it. But, plot twist! The transformation fails, and Goku reverts to his original form. What a subversion of expectations! To finish off the villain for real, Goku will propel himself with a backwards Kamehameha, flying straight through the villain's mid-section, just like he did with King Piccolo. Oh, and Buu will have been absolutely no help this entire time because he's been stuck in hibernation. The fans will definitely find that gag hilarious the third time!"

Dude you should spoiler tag this

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:42 am

You know that's not an actual quote, right? That's a sarcastic (albeit sadly accurate) post.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:16 am

I wonder about this franchise sometimes how did it become even more directionless? Near the end of the TOP leading to Broly it seemed it had finally found its footing a bit but man these past 6 years out of the upcoming 40 is probably the worse spot the franchise has ever been in. Declining toy sales, lowest viewership & interest, barely noticeable on trending, dogshit characters, art,designs, & writing Crappy CG running amok. i feel the only ones excited for this new series is just the oldhead fans & the only reason is because they can spite the "DEEBEEZEE" fans that they aren't getting what they wanted. Which i find funny cause i guarantee after some time has passed those same old fans acting like they love this will be making long winded tweets and video dissertations calling this crap also same thing happened with super shitro. Man i wish different ppl had the creative rights to Dragonball we wouldnt be in the mess we are in now