Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:26 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:19 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfHBrhMM5bk

This video finally explains what DBZ did right and Super wrong with its animation and without comparing to the EPIC QUALITY ANIME STUDIOS.
Yeah... I have to agree. Super is a shadow of what Dragon Ball used to be. Outside of the movies, which are of better quality and writing.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:16 pm

There's something funny about using a seven year-old video to claim this about a show that's been off the air for five years.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:19 pm

Does that make the arguments invalid? I hope Daima is an improvement. So far it seems like it will be.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:24 pm

Even though I prefer simpler designs, I really like Xeno Goku. Looks great and gives me Sun Wukong vibes.

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:43 pm

Nowadays, i kinda think the Rof movie would have worked better with OG db's tone. It would make things like Freeza becoming so strong so quickly less annoying, specially if you have him doing sit ups, pushups and drinking plenty of juice.

Gohan being so weak would also play much better.

Have the movie be more comedic, but make it serious the moment Goku and Vegeta come to the picture or when Gohan gets one shotted.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:24 am

Tambourine, Piano, Drum, etc, are they considered namekians? is it racist to not consider them namekians?

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:35 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:24 am Tambourine, Piano, Drum, etc, are they considered namekians? is it racist to not consider them namekians?
I consider them Demon-People-Except-Your-Father-Was-Retconned-Into-An-Alien-So-You-Kinda-Don't-Exist-Anymore.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:51 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:24 am Tambourine, Piano, Drum, etc, are they considered namekians? is it racist to not consider them namekians?
In Japanese culture, as I understand it, anyone who is consumed by evil can become a demon. Piccolo was the Demon King, and it appears that his children were affected by that, being born as demons. Junior is the only offspring of King Piccolo that looks Namekian. Probably because he was meant to be a vessel to continue his own existence.

So I don't think King Piccolo's children could be considered Namekians. If they were, then I'd have to ask why all of the other Namekians look like Piccolo and not...this:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:19 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:35 am I consider them Demon-People-Except-Your-Father-Was-Retconned-Into-An-Alien-So-You-Kinda-Don't-Exist-Anymore.
Piccolo being an alien doesn't cancel out him being a demon. He's both.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:39 am

It seems Piccolo being an alien all along is a western interpretation of the concept of his very incarnation. He's a demon because he's made out of literal evil. People with a western perspective remove all the Eastern Mysticism and Folkore because DB is DEE BEE ZEE! POWERS LEVELS INSTEAD OF KI!!! FAULCONER!!!

I know I am being mega unfair, and I actually love all the fans. I have hatred for Funimation, not them.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:07 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:39 am It seems Piccolo being an alien all along is a western interpretation of the concept of his very incarnation. He's a demon because he's made out of literal evil. People with a western perspective remove all the Eastern Mysticism and Folkore because DB is DEE BEE ZEE! POWERS LEVELS INSTEAD OF KI!!! FAULCONER!!!

I know I am being mega unfair, and I actually love all the fans. I have hatred for Funimation, not them.
I didn't watch the dub, thank you.

But back to topic: Piccolo and by extension his children were all clearly meant to be of an entirely different race than "Slug people from outer space." None of his children look remotely Namekian and Toriyama flat-out admitted in interview he didn't mean neither Goku nor Piccolo to be aliens before coming up with the concept of Kami (God).

The fact that none of his children look like any Namekians presented ever since the retcon is a clear inconsistency in the story.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:13 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:07 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:39 am It seems Piccolo being an alien all along is a western interpretation of the concept of his very incarnation. He's a demon because he's made out of literal evil. People with a western perspective remove all the Eastern Mysticism and Folkore because DB is DEE BEE ZEE! POWERS LEVELS INSTEAD OF KI!!! FAULCONER!!!

I didn't watch the dub, thank you.

But back to topic: Piccolo and by extension his children were all clearly meant to be of an entirely different race than "Slug people from outer space." None of his children look remotely Namekian and Toriyama flat-out admitted in interview he didn't mean neither Goku nor Piccolo to be aliens before coming up with the concept of Kami (God).

The fact that none of his children look like any Namekians presented ever since the retcon is a clear inconsistency in the story.
If it helps I didnt mean people who didnt watch the dub and still had that confussion. That wasnt aimed at you at all. You are cool and so is every Faulconer fan. I just meant that Funimation didnt do a good job of keeping the eastern concepts such as eastern demons, incarnations of pure evil. And ironically there's proof that Toriyama planned the Namekian part very early on. Toriyama did intend for Piccolo to be an alien but ALSO a demon. To be honest I am hypocritical.I did grow with a dub and I did fall into the "Piccolo is an alien, not a demon." Piccolo is not actually Piccolo Daimao Senior's son but rather his REINCARNATION.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:43 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:07 pm But back to topic: Piccolo and by extension his children were all clearly meant to be of an entirely different race than "Slug people from outer space." None of his children look remotely Namekian and Toriyama flat-out admitted in interview he didn't mean neither Goku nor Piccolo to be aliens before coming up with the concept of Kami (God).

It's not a retcon though. Piccolo being revealed to have alien origins doesn't suddenly make him not a demon (It's becoming less evil that made Piccolo Jr. not a demon, not the reveal that he and his progenitors are actually from space).

It's funny that you mention "Slug people from outer space" since the original Japanese version of DBZ Movie 4 has Slug and his henchmen refer to themselves as "Mazoku" (demon clan) despite clearly being space aliens (and galactic conquers at that). Not to mention Garlic Jr. and his henchmen being demons that explicitly come from another planet (The Makyo Star).

Then there's Majin Buu being a demonic magical being that also comes from space, technically making him an alien too.

Being an alien and being a demon have never been mutually exclusive.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:28 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:43 pm
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:07 pm But back to topic: Piccolo and by extension his children were all clearly meant to be of an entirely different race than "Slug people from outer space." None of his children look remotely Namekian and Toriyama flat-out admitted in interview he didn't mean neither Goku nor Piccolo to be aliens before coming up with the concept of Kami (God).

It's not a retcon though. Piccolo being revealed to have alien origins doesn't suddenly make him not a demon (It's becoming less evil that made Piccolo Jr. not a demon, not the reveal that he and his progenitors are actually from space).

It's funny that you mention "Slug people from outer space" since the original Japanese version of DBZ Movie 4 has Slug and his henchmen refer to themselves as "Mazoku" (demon clan) despite clearly being space aliens (and galactic conquers at that). Not to mention Garlic Jr. and his henchmen being demons that explicitly come from another planet (The Makyo Star).

Then there's Majin Buu being a demonic magical being that also comes from space, technically making him an alien too.

OK, good... Now explain why none of Piccolo's children look Namekian.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:13 pm

I always figured he simply makes them look like how he wants them to look. He's a demon king so naturally he's gonna make his minion offspring look demonic. Ma Junior is his successor so he made Ma Junior look like himself.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:31 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:28 pm
Majin Buu wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:43 pm

OK, good... Now explain why none of Piccolo's children look Namekian.
King Piccolo was a demon when he made them, so his children were born demons. He had the ability to create normal Namekian offspringe, like Junior, but he chose to make demons to serve him. Also, pretty sure I remember Drum getting a reference in Super, so they're still canon.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:37 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:31 am King Piccolo was a demon when he made them, so his children were born demons. He had the ability to create normal Namekian offspringe, like Junior, but he chose to make demons to serve him. Also, pretty sure I remember Drum getting a reference in Super, so they're still canon.
They're definitely still canon, but the "he's a demon in spirit so his children looked different" explanation feels lazy.
The out-of-universe explanation will always be, Piccolo was never meant to be an alien before Kami was conceptualized.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:26 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:37 am They're definitely still canon, but the "he's a demon in spirit so his children looked different" explanation feels lazy.
I don't see what's "lazy" about it, it makes sense to me. Sometimes a simple explanation works best.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:06 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:37 am
ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:31 am King Piccolo was a demon when he made them, so his children were born demons. He had the ability to create normal Namekian offspringe, like Junior, but he chose to make demons to serve him. Also, pretty sure I remember Drum getting a reference in Super, so they're still canon.
They're definitely still canon, but the "he's a demon in spirit so his children looked different" explanation feels lazy.
The out-of-universe explanation will always be, Piccolo was never meant to be an alien before Kami was conceptualized.
And the "It was all a retcon" IS NOT easy? That's about the laziest thing I've ever seen! Just about ANYTHING can be explained away like that.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:56 pm

I mean even without Funimation's influence I still thought of Piccolo as just an alien and not a demon, to understand that being an alien doesn't stop him from being a demon you kinda have to know eastern folklore to understand that such things are spiritual, and not a different species, since DB doesn't really explain this. The one time that is talked about something like that to explain why Piccolo was different was to explain why Raditz went to the afterlife instead of agonizing for eternity, a detail that is generally not remembered, probably because the "agonize for eternity" detail had more emphasis in vanilla DB, and in DBZ it feels like a throwaway line for those who don't know how much of a big deal what Kami is saying is.

The lack of consistency really doesn't help, since King Piccolo is the only case of a character who became a demon by being pure evil, but Toriyama tends to make villains intro pure evil, and Freeza most obviously should be a demon, but isn't, so this can make King Piccolo being an alien all along feel like a much bigger retcon than it really is (And it's still a noticeable one).
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:13 pm And ironically there's proof that Toriyama planned the Namekian part very early on.
Yeah, at the latest that was the case during the 23rd tournament, when Kami and Piccolo speak to each other in another language, which is used as a plot point before Namek saga, since speaking that language is needed to pilot Kami's ship, and Bulma even says it's the same language Kami and Piccolo spoke back in the 23rd tournament.
Majin Buu wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:13 pm I always figured he simply makes them look like how he wants them to look. He's a demon king so naturally he's gonna make his minion offspring look demonic. Ma Junior is his successor so he made Ma Junior look like himself.
That'd have to be a demon exclusive power, either that or Namekians can do that but prefer to all look the same lol.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.