What Exists of the "Vendar" Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

What Exists of the "Vendar" Dub

Post by TheBalishChannel » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:07 pm

For as long as Dragon Ball has existed, certain aspects of its production have continued to be almost, if not totally, lost to time. Some obvious examples include things such as the higher-fidelity "Japanese Broadcast Audio," the alternative "Westwood Studios English Dub," and the Harmony Gold-produced version of Dragon Ball. Just a couple years ago it seemed impossible that any one of these things would eventually turn up online in their entirety. However, thanks to the unending dedication of fans, and their willingness to share from their own private collections, these and several other treasures that had eluded the community for literal decades have finally resurfaced and are now readily available for all fans to enjoy.

In relation to the English production of Dragon Ball Z, we've seen the aforementioned "Westwood Studios English Dub" preserved in superb quality thanks to the tireless efforts of folks like DBZImran and everyone else involved that had either sent in or transferred their own VHS tapes recorded from various networks in the UK/Canada in the early 2000s. In addition, thanks to Arian, we've also seen the original syndicated version of The Tree of Might resurface online; a film that was chopped up into three episodes complete with their own unique narrated recaps and next episode previews that never made it to any of the home video releases. VegettoEX did a quick write-up here on Kanzenshuu proving that Episode 51 of FUNimation's English dub of Dragon Ball Z did in fact have an alternate title that was only seen during it's initial broadcast and never again- a fact that fans were skeptical of even just weeks after it had originally aired in Mid-1998. All of this is to say that in the past two years, nearly everything that was created relating to the Western/English-dubbed versions of Dragon Ball has been accounted for and preserved in some form or another online.

It appears that the last great mystery surrounding the English production of Dragon Ball Z is the little-known test dub of Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone that was recorded sometime in either 1995 or early 1996. VegettoEX did a comprehensive write-up on this whilst documenting all that's known regarding the original 1995 pilot of Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubie.

The most puzzling thing about the "Vendar" dub of Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone is that there appears to be zero tangible evidence of its existence. While brief clips of Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubie as well as the physical tape itself were seen in the special features included on the Season Set Blu-rays for Dragon Ball Z, the same cannot be said for the test dub of Dragon Ball Z. In addition, five copies of Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubie are known to exist, with a few copies ending up in the hands of collectors. Again, none of this is true for Dragon Ball Z's pilot. The only thing we have to go off of regarding the contents of the tape come from an old post to a newsgroup from Matthew Sommer in 1996. It's not even known what the title of the film is- whether it had remained the same or was simply titled, "Dragon Ball Z: The Movie" is anyone's guess, as according to Matthew Sommer's post, the actual "Dead Zone" was originally renamed "Death Zone Vortex" in the pilot.

It's easy for me to infer that the intro that appears on the original North American Pioneer VHS/DVD for "Dragon Ball Z: Volume 1 - Arrival" comes directly from the pilot. I believe this due to the fact that it highlights clips from The Dead Zone, uses a newly written score from Peter Berring and narration from Jim Conrad (both previously heard in FUNimation's initial attempt at Dragon Ball), and an odd mix of Masako Nozawa's original Goku performance juxtaposed with the grunts of an English dub actor for Goku that, to my ear, does not sound like Ian Corlett. It makes sense that these would all be used in the interim, much like how a lot of the Harmony Gold-isms were kept around for Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubie. Even as a kid, the intro struck me as more of a sales pitch than an introduction to a new show, and as an adult I find it hard to believe that FUNimation would've solely commissioned Peter Berring and Jim Conrad to figuratively pass the torch to their successors in Dragon Ball Z (Ron Wasserman and Doc Harris respectively).

Matthew's descriptions of how the characters sound are interesting, though. It seems as though most of the cast from FUNimation's previous effort in Dragon Ball still retained their roles going into Z. He also mentioned that Krillin sounded "dorky" which is a pretty apt description of how most would agree Terry Klassen's performance as Krillin would go on to sound. Oddly, Matthew mentions that he believes Ted Cole, the voice of Yamcha, was playing the adult Goku seen in the pilot dub. Ian Corlett has gone on record saying that he, Terry Klassen, and Barry Watson were in charge of the casting process for Dragon Ball Z, and as such he effectively cast himself in the role of Goku. He was previously heavily involved with the "re-versioning" process of Dragon Ball, contributing his vocal and writing talents to all thirteen episodes of the original production. With that in mind, one could argue either way as to who may have played Goku, but without having seen it, it's impossible to tell. I do find the prospect of somebody else potentially being the first English voice of an adult Goku rather exciting.

Considering how much has been unearthed in recent years regarding thought-to-be-lost media in the Dragon Ball Z franchise, I have hope that one day this dub will find its way in the hands of someone kind enough to share it online. In my (mostly) vain attempts at trying to find anything related to the dub beyond what's been covered here on Kanzenshuu, I did come across something pretty intriguing that I haven't seen be discussed anywhere else.

The Dragon Ball Z Ani-Mayhem Card Game by Pioneer was the first card game in North America the featured the Dragon Ball Z license starting all the way back in 1996. A collector named Ryan Richards owns the web domain for Ani-Mayhem and has digitized the vast majority of the cards that were released in that series. Similarly to the Bandai figures of the era, a lot of the cards feature early dub names that ended up changing by the time the characters were introduced in the show (i.e. Freeza instead of Frieza). The site also contains a section documenting pre-production cards that are in black and white. Although most reflect the final product with very little difference between the two, the one for "Garlic Jr.'s Palace" was renamed prior to release.

I believe this puts any doubt to rest regarding the validity of Matthew Sommer's post, if there was any to begin with! Like I said, here's hoping that one day it'll turn up online, through official channels (maybe FUNimation's Crunchyroll's 30th anniversary next year?) or otherwise!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What Exists of the "Vendar" Dub

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:37 pm

The Ani-Mayhem thing is such a neat find! Thanks so much for sharing that.

While I don't really have anything to add other than my own personal history and write-ups that have already been cited above, I'm happy that I've been able to at least share that much and help get the conversation going again! The later dub material once everything came "in-house" is very openly and transparently of little interest to me, but I can't deny that there's a special place in my heart for all the 1995-1998 material that was still recent (if not actually new) back then when I was first discovering the series.

(Unrelated to the larger topic, but related to a smaller one noted in your write-up: the first time I heard that apparently no-one had bothered to capture the TV broadcast version of The Tree of Might was when I heard that people were apparently angry with me for never sharing anything from my tapes... which no-one had ever actually asked me about. This goes along with one of the points I raised in the Curse of the Blood Rubie write-up re: the Harmony Gold stuff, where certain sets of fans seem to have a real problem with not actually going outside of their own insular circles! It's not "research" if you don't ask anyone other than your own two friends! :lol: )

Anyway, cheers for keeping the conversation alive and dropping a new tidbit along the way for this one!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:43 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:07 pm
Matthew's descriptions of how the characters sound are interesting, though. It seems as though most of the cast from FUNimation's previous effort in Dragon Ball still retained their roles going into Z. He also mentioned that Krillin sounded "dorky" which is a pretty apt description of how most would agree Terry Klassen's performance as Krillin would go on to sound. Oddly, Matthew mentions that he believes Ted Cole, the voice of Yamcha, was playing the adult Goku seen in the pilot dub. Ian Corlett has gone on record saying that he, Terry Klassen, and Barry Watson were in charge of the casting process for Dragon Ball Z, and as such he effectively cast himself in the role of Goku. He was previously heavily involved with the "re-versioning" process of Dragon Ball, contributing his vocal and writing talents to all thirteen episodes of the original production. With that in mind, one could argue either way as to who may have played Goku, but without having seen it, it's impossible to tell. I do find the prospect of somebody else potentially being the first English voice of an adult Goku rather exciting.
Matthew reported on this months before Dragon Ball Z aired on U.S television. It's almost 100 percent certain that it was Ian Corlett's Goku and he was just assuming it was Ted Cole doing the voice.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:04 am

TheBalishChannel wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:07 pm The most puzzling thing about the "Vendar" dub of Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone is that there appears to be zero tangible evidence of its existence. While brief clips of Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubie as well as the physical tape itself were seen in the special features included on the Season Set Blu-rays for Dragon Ball Z, the same cannot be said for the test dub of Dragon Ball Z. In addition, five copies of Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubie are known to exist, with a few copies ending up in the hands of collectors. Again, none of this is true for Dragon Ball Z's pilot. The only thing we have to go off of regarding the contents of the tape come from an old post to a newsgroup from Matthew Sommer in 1996. It's not even known what the title of the film is- whether it had remained the same or was simply titled, "Dragon Ball Z: The Movie" is anyone's guess, as according to Matthew Sommer's post, the actual "Dead Zone" was originally renamed "Death Zone Vortex" in the pilot.
That's all there is at this point - just confirmation that it exists. I have heard from a source the Vendar dub is not lost, but if this individual says what they know it will become this coveted shelf trophy or something that will only be traded for a stupid amount of money. It's the exact same situation that happened with the Zero dub, Japanese broadcast audio as well as the Westwood and Blue Water dubs to varying degrees. It's that shady side of the fandom that ruins things for everyone because they don't want other fans to have what they have, and feel the need to prey on those who would be envious of what they have. It's sad, as all we want to do is watch this show we all love in different versions but it's just how things are.
TheBalishChannel wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:07 pm I do find the prospect of somebody else potentially being the first English voice of an adult Goku rather exciting.
There actually was someone before Ian James Corlett. It's not talked about much, but there was the Filipino English dub of Dragon Ball Z, which predates Funimation's dub. This dub premiered on RPN9 in 1993, and featured Nesty Calvo Ramirez as adult Goku (and kid Goku), as far as we know he was the first English voice of the character. In the Vendar dub it was almost certainly Corlett, he was the first known (and likely first in general) North American English voice of adult Goku, but the one fans in most English-speaking countries would be familiar with if they grew up in the 90s or 2000s.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

King Bogo

Post by King Bogo » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:43 pm

I attended an anime convention called Anirevo in 2019 with 1 of the vendors who was selling anime scripts of various series & languages. I asked about anything from Dragon Ball & they claimed to me that they have a script of the Vendar dub not at the show but in a safety deposit box. I didn't buy anything from them but I grabbed a business card with their contact info on it. I will try to get in contact with the seller to see if they're willing to share anything from the alleged script for free.