One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:02 pm

Does the Ginyu Force exist for any reason other than Toriyama was watching Fiveman with his son and went "I want to parody that in Dragon Ball" ? Probably not

Are they a highlight of the Namek arc? Absolutely.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:13 pm

I think the Ginyuu are fun personalities, but in a remake setting I think that they're extraneous and any development that they provide for characters could be transferred over to Zarbon or Dodoria to better flesh them out. Kuririn and Gohan teaming up to defeat Dodoria after Dodoria kills Dende's brother kills multiple birds with one stone.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:13 pm I think the Ginyuu are fun personalities, but in a remake setting I think that they're extraneous and any development that they provide for characters could be transferred over to Zarbon or Dodoria to better flesh them out. Kuririn and Gohan teaming up to defeat Dodoria after Dodoria kills Dende's brother kills multiple birds with one stone.
And if it were a movie, sure, but it's a TV series, so boiling it all down to plot or even character development feels like it's missing the point. Losing the Ginyu Force loses one of the highlights of Dragon Ball.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:02 pm Does the Ginyu Force exist for any reason other than Toriyama was watching Fiveman with his son and went "I want to parody that in Dragon Ball" ? Probably not

Before Ginyu:
Vegeta needs to ally himself with the Earthlings to battle a bigger threat, Nail needs to do something important, Goku is sidelined, all the Dragon Balls are gathered, but there's a catch, Vegeta and the others try fighting the bigger threat, they fail miserably, so the might Goku arrives to battle the bigger threat.

After Ginyu
Vegeta needs to ally himself with the Earthlings to battle a bigger threat, Nail needs to do something important, Goku is sidelined, all the Dragon Balls are gathered, but there's a catch, Vegeta and the others try fighting the bigger threat, they fail miserably, so the might Goku arrives to battle the bigger threat.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:14 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:03 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:02 pm Does the Ginyu Force exist for any reason other than Toriyama was watching Fiveman with his son and went "I want to parody that in Dragon Ball" ? Probably not

Before Ginyu:

After Ginyu
I dont know the point of this post but I love it, I do have to say that it doesnt contradict anything MasenkoHa said. He did admit they are pointless but fun. And while I actually didnt really love them back when I watched I do love them now.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:06 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:14 pm I dont know the point of this post but I love it, I do have to say that it doesnt contradict anything MasenkoHa said. He did admit they are pointless but fun. And while I actually didnt really love them back when I watched I do love them now.
The point was to exemplify what Masenko was talking about.
The Ginyu Force is so utterly blatant padding that it's amazing it gathered this much love in the fandom.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:41 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:06 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:14 pm I dont know the point of this post but I love it, I do have to say that it doesnt contradict anything MasenkoHa said. He did admit they are pointless but fun. And while I actually didnt really love them back when I watched I do love them now.
The point was to exemplify what Masenko was talking about.
The Ginyu Force is so utterly blatant padding that it's amazing it gathered this much love in the fandom.
5 powerful goofballs in a portion of a gag manga series that was getting too serious for its own good that are an obvious parody of Super Sentai/Power Rangers? It would be more amazing if they didn't get love from the fandom.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:14 am

The Ginyu Force are remembered due to their attitude and personality, they each have their own fighting style.
Cutting the Ginyu Force would be bad.

If they make a remake of Dragon Ball, it should be better than the original in everyway possible. It shouldn't be inferior in anyway.

Dragon Ball Kai cut some memorable good filler episode.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:59 am

Unfortunately, "being superior" is no longer the point in most remakes.
They would rather play it safe and just do more of the same than actually take risks and potentially lose money.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:33 pm

I think the main issue is that they just come across as not really contributing to the growth of our protagonists, in large part because our protagonists seem to not really be defined at that point. Up until that point our protagonists were Gohan, Kuririn, Blooma and Vegeta, but tossing Gokuu into the bunch when he's basically had nothing to do with the entire arc just ruins the vibes. What exactly is Gokuu's arc, and how does that tie into him fighting Freeza if you want that to continue to be his ultimate role in the story? With the benefit of hindsight a remake could actually build up to that and give us insight into Gokuu's feelings across the arc leading into a confrontation with Freeza.

With Gohan his arc was "revive Piccolo and prove that he's matured and no long hesistant like he was against the Saiyans!" and with Kuririn his arc was "revive his friends and make sure his bestie's son doesn't get fuckin' murdered." Blooma doesn't really get an arc. Like, hell, where's her moment where we see that she's come to Namek to help revive her ex-boyfriend so that they can properly resolve their relationship? Where's her moment where her genius helps retrieve the Dragon Balls or save someone's life?

I think the Ginyuu are in a similar position, because I think that Reacoom's position can really just be given to Dodoria. Vegeta only needs one chump to kill effortlessly, so make that Kewi, and then give Dodoria the role of being a sort of arc-wide rival figure for Gohan and Kuririn to defeat, then have Vegeta's rival be Zarbon. Then, once those two are dealt with Freeza enters the picture.
She/Her

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:36 pm

I have no clue what you are talking about. DB has some of the most well defined characters bc they are simple and to the point. Goku is there to save the day or least give his allies a fighting chance. Goku doesn't really have an arc. He doesn't have to. There's no rule in fiction saying that's the case for the protagonist. He's the reason for other people's growth. We know what Goku feels bc he doesn't hide his feelings. He wears his heart on his sleave.

Goku's motivations are very clear, "help my friends and son."

Bulma's there for plot reasons.

The fights being good and the characters being quirky and memorable are more than enough to justify their existence.

If we give the Ginyu Force material to Zarbon and Dodoria, plotwise it won't change anything but stories are more than simple plot. Generally I prefer stories to not waste time and shorter is generally better but it all boils down to execution. If it's good, it's good.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:35 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:36 pm Bulma's there for plot reasons.
Bulma was there for three specific reasons that the plot itself gives us:

1. Fix the spaceship in case it broke down.
2. Resurrect her dead boyfriend.
3. Speak Namekian.

The best she does with #1 is set up contact with Earth and tell them, "Oh hey, we're in danger, send Goku!"
Her plot relevance ended right there, and she just sticks around the rest of the arc like a sore thumb.

Midway through the arc, she goes, "Eh, Yamcha sucks, we're always fighting, I want a new Saiyan boyfriend!"
So all of that motivation she had for #2 at the beginning of the arc just goes straight down the drain.

Now, if Bulma was there when they needed someone to speak Namekian and activate the Dragon Balls, it would be something.
But she couldn't even do that. Characters have a hard time believing she even exists. It baffles me how so many people are angry at the giant crab or the frog switch episodes, when at least the show is doing something with her rather than just letting her exist for no reason in the background.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:58 pm

She also pilots the craft. her technical skill is important even if only at the beginning. I get your point but Bulma is a fun character, though some people's mileage may vary;

And she never has a scene where she actively likes Vegeta in the Freeza arc and certainly not midway through.

The issue with the crab episode and the frog switch is that they're boring. If she's just there in the background but being amusing, that's fine. For instance, she serves no purpose in the plot of the tournaments (besides the obvious gag in Fortuneteller Baba's tournament) but she serves a fine purpose as a spectator who is a friend of the participants. She adds color commentary as it were. Being given something plotwise means nothing if it's not interesting in some way.

One other thing I wonder about with the new One Piece anime is how much that will impact the original that's still ongoing. Will people care less about the ending when it inevitably arrives. It has to end, doesn't it?
Last edited by ABED on Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:02 pm

I don't know about you, but complaining about being with people she hates, then complaining that the people she hates are leaving her alone even if to do more important things, rinse and repeat, was not funny to me. The best she did was call Vegeta a monster for killing an innocent village, but she doesn't even remember that once they're back on Earth.

The show could've done a lot of things, they could've let her and Vegeta stand in the same room doing nothing but passing time since they had nothing better to do, especially after ther "monster" comment, the show could've had her discover Cui's spaceship and let her learn how to control it and send her back to Earth (I mean, Goku could, why can't she?)

But Bulma sticking around only for Toriyama to realize he can't do anything interesting with her, other than have her complain all the time? Yeah, if Dragon Ball gets a remake, they need to vastly improve her character in Namek.
Last edited by AliTheZombie13 on Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:06 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:02 pm I don't know about you, but complaining about being with people she hates, then complaining that the people she hates are leaving her alone even if to do more important things, rinse and repeat, was not funny to me.
Not really as she doesn't hate them.

As for the ship, the Namekian ship seems to need a pilot whereas Saiyan ships which Goku's refurbished ship is based off of didn't need pilots. they were programmed to fly to a destination.

The problem with her utilization is that the moments you can refer to are mostly filler. She's mainly in the parts of the manga that concern her. The anime however had to pad out runtime so they would constantly cutaway to either her or Chichi.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:14 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:06 pm
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:02 pm I don't know about you, but complaining about being with people she hates, then complaining that the people she hates are leaving her alone even if to do more important things, rinse and repeat, was not funny to me.
She spends the entire time pissed and complaining and whining and framed as this annoyance for Kuririn and Gohan, the two characters being intended to be the self-insert characters for the supposed audience of young boys. It's tremendously awful writing and absolutely something that can be improved on.
She/Her

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:14 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:06 pm
She spends the entire time pissed and complaining and whining and framed as this annoyance for Kuririn and Gohan, the two characters being intended to be the self-insert characters for the supposed audience of young boys. It's tremendously awful writing and absolutely something that can be improved on.
It's not bad writing. She's in character and it's framed mostly like she's a teen girl annoyed by her younger brothers. I haven't seen anything that leads me to think that she's a disliked character among the fandom. If that were the case, then sure, maybe her being annoyed at her friends constantly would be something they might want to soften up in some hypothetical reboot.

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:42 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:17 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:14 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:06 pm Not really as she doesn't hate them.
It's not bad writing. She's in character and it's framed mostly like she's a teen girl annoyed by her younger brothers. I haven't seen anything that leads me to think that she's a disliked character among the fandom. If that were the case, then sure, maybe her being annoyed at her friends constantly would be something they might want to soften up in some hypothetical reboot.
Not to mention, the mission to Namek turned into a nightmare. When they headed off to Namek, the idea was that they'd travel to a peaceful planet, collect the dragon balls there and revive their friends.
Instead, they got caught in a cross fire between basically space Hitler and the guy that was responsible for killing their friends in the first place.
Didn't take long for the actual planet to fall apart.

Bulma being stressed out and easily annoyed is natural for the character in such a situation.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:14 am

Lets not forget that Bulma was attracted to Zarbon, even though she was in a relationship with Yamcha. I know Yamcha was dead, but they were going to revive along with the other fighters.

In DB we know when it comes to boyfriends that Bulma is shallow, only cares about their looks.

It was Bulma that showed how big the world is to Goku and started his adventure.

Edit I almost forgot in the Namek Saga Bulma is a full grown adult, she isn't a teenager there. Bulma is a teenager in the beginning of Dragon Ball.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:11 pm

Some character don't serve much purpose to the narrative other than window dressing and that's okay!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler