Would a complete DBZ English redub be necessary?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Would a complete DBZ English redub be necessary?

Post by Tian » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:57 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:53 pm I mean, GT isn't liked all that much in Latin America either, despite our dub being very faithful to the source.
Err... not really. GT is as liked and fondly remembered as the previous two series here.

The dubbed versions of the opening and the only ending we've got were so iconic that a lot of people were trying to find out the singer's identity for many years (which would eventually be revealed as Aaron Montalvo)
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:00 pm Go on a YouTube comments page with Step Into The Grand Tour or the Menza score. You'd be surprised how many people do seem to like that crap. It's got nothing on the love Rock The Dragon or the Team Faulconer score receive but it definitely has fans.
Yeah, those are the people who bought FUNimation's shit about GT being the darker and edgier sequel.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:08 pm

I mean, Dragon Ball had been around for a while when GT rolled around, so naturally there was going to be people feeling fatigued. We know in Japan ratings for GT were on par with the Boo arc, which has its fair share of detractors too. People had tuned out, and not having the creator behind a project was obviously another hurdle it had to overcome.

I'm not sure how ratings fared during the UK broadcasts but GT was rerun here for a full two years (which was longer than the US) after the final episode aired, and was rerun more often than original Dragon Ball, so clearly people still wanted it.

That said, and as much as I'm no fan of Funimation's GT dub I'm sure there are people who like it and the Mark Menza score, Nicktoons probably wouldn't have bought the rights if it bombed so badly and was universally derided.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:32 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:08 pm I mean, Dragon Ball had been around for a while when GT rolled around, so naturally there was going to be people feeling fatigued. We know in Japan ratings for GT were on par with the Boo arc, which has its fair share of detractors too. People had tuned out, and not having the creator behind a project was obviously another hurdle it had to overcome.

I'm not sure how ratings fared during the UK broadcasts but GT was rerun here for a full two years (which was longer than the US) after the final episode aired, and was rerun more often than original Dragon Ball, so clearly people still wanted it.

That said, and as much as I'm no fan of Funimation's GT dub I'm sure there are people who like it and the Mark Menza score, Nicktoons probably wouldn't have bought the rights if it bombed so badly and was universally derided.

Ironically this was the end of Nicktoons treating anime with any sort of respect. GT flopped so badly after Kai had done SO WELL (Along with airing the Z movies) that they treated anime like FUCKING DIRT afterwards. And keep in mind Super was NOT A THING at that point.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 pm

Tian wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:57 pm
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:53 pm I mean, GT isn't liked all that much in Latin America either, despite our dub being very faithful to the source.
Err... not really. GT is as liked and fondly remembered as the previous two series here.

The dubbed versions of the opening and the only ending we've got were so iconic that a lot of people were trying to find out the singer's identity for many years (which would eventually be revealed as Aaron Montalvo)
For what it's worth, when I was in a High School reunion last year and the conversation switched to old anime we used to watch together back then, everyone seemed to have the same opinion: "Eh... GT is nice, it's got its moments. The other two have better fights though."

And like, this is a bunch of casuals talking in the real world, not a vocal minority of hate comments on the Internet. But overall, the impression people seem to have of GT down here is more like "It's good, but there's better."

And again, I'm not sure whether American fans are like this in real life, but the impression I get from the Western fandom about GT, especially regarding the English dub, seems to be that they think it's the worst piece of shit ever created. And that makes me wonder if they have ever seen a bad anime in their whole lives.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 pm
And again, I'm not sure whether American fans are like this in real life, but the impression I get from the Western fandom about GT, especially regarding the English dub, seems to be that they think it's the worst piece of shit ever created. And that makes me wonder if they have ever seen a bad anime in their whole lives.
For what it's worth, you'll find opinions for GT that range from "GT is worse than cancer" and "GT was the second best series after Z". When I was about 18 I remember going to a Hookuh Bar and one of the servers put on Dragon Ball GT with his Greek Bricks and quite a few people were watching with interest This being only a couple years after the Green Brick release.

Dragon Ball fans outside of online fan circles at least have an opinion on GT. With the original Dragon Ball the reaction is usually in the ballpark of "Oh right, that one also exist...I guess"

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:26 pm

It also ranges from region to region.

GT is, I think, pretty well regarded here in Portugal, mostly due to the OP vocals and the fact that after the dubbing shenanigans in Z, the dub cast dialed it down a bit for the most part.

While GT is by no means perfect, it's also the victim of a lot of retroactive reception outside of Japan, where it genuinely flopped.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:32 pm Ironically this was the end of Nicktoons treating anime with any sort of respect. GT flopped so badly after Kai had done SO WELL (Along with airing the Z movies) that they treated anime like FUCKING DIRT afterwards. And keep in mind Super was NOT A THING at that point.
Neither was The Final Chapters, which begs the question why did Nicktoons go with airing GT and not original Dragon Ball. The easy answer is obviously 64 episodes + a special will be cheaper than 153, but considering the massive ratings Kai got I'm sure Nicktoons could have taken the chance with the original to give fans who loved Kai context rather than just wanting to progress by skipping an entire arc. I say original Dragon Ball would have done better than GT. Although maybe Nicktoons didn't like the dirty humour too.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 pm Dragon Ball fans outside of online fan circles at least have an opinion on GT. With the original Dragon Ball the reaction is usually in the ballpark of "Oh right, that one also exist...I guess"
Anecdotal I know, but my cousin, who I'd be shocked if he'd seen Dragon Ball since it aired on Toonami UK 20 years ago said he thought the original was the best. I've seen a lot of "eh... it exists, I guess" sentiments about GT too. A lot of casuals just watched Dragon Ball Z and are either lukewarm about the other series or just don't pay as much attention to them. Sadly Funimation has always capitalised on this, they knew Z would be the one people would keep buying.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:14 pm

BlueChi wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:26 pm

While GT is by no means perfect, it's also the victim of a lot of retroactive reception outside of Japan, where it genuinely flopped.
It averaged a viewership rating of 14 percent. It didn't flop in Japan.

Hell, the highest rated episode of GT pulled a viewership of 19.7 percent https://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/gt/eps-02/

By comparison the highest rated episode of Pokemon was 18.6 percent https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparis ... ep033.html

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:48 pm

I have to admit, I would like to see a more accurate dub of the Innards of Buu filler.

After seeing how quite a bit got changed (including a brief gag that has Goku imply that he's shockingly vain), I wouldn't mind too much if FUNi took some time to make things more accurate.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:20 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:14 pm It averaged a viewership rating of 14 percent. It didn't flop in Japan.

Hell, the highest rated episode of GT pulled a viewership of 19.7 percent https://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/gt/eps-02/

By comparison the highest rated episode of Pokemon was 18.6 percent https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparis ... ep033.html
Huh, seems that the retroactive reception got to me as well on that regard. :D
I'll take this as a chance to freshen up on what exactly happened with GT.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:06 am

Looks like a source will have to be posted for every statement that gets thrown around on what GT's ultimate fate was.
(Far as I've seen it hasn't really made much of a comeback aside from a few inconsequential series & video games reusing some concepts from it.)