Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Joujou
Banned

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by Joujou » Wed May 22, 2024 1:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:19 pm I argue that it's important to have strong feelings about issues like Furuya's each-paragraph-is-worse-than-the-last situation here because he's in a position of power: hand-waving it and allowing him to continue the work (which is literally is the backbone of the power dynamics in this relationship) reinforces that behavior as OK, and perpetuates it. This isn't just "aww sowwy I did a criminal thing hewerre". See also: mother fucking Watsuki still having a job. Separate the art from the artist? Fuck that and fuck him.

And fuck Furuya.
So why would we allow someone that raped woman / killed people to get a job? i don't see furuya differrent than any sexual delinquant, i don't see where allowing to keep his work is saying "ok" , jail is the answer to what he did and only "justice" is called for that thing, they'll judge it with every elements they have

i am just slitting the man and his job, he is just " a voice", he represent nothing more than a voice, that's the same thing as if he was buildi

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 22, 2024 1:32 pm

I'm not going to keep repeating the exact same things over and over, because you're clearly not invested in actually reading anything. The implications of him keeping voice acting roles was already just explained to you in the very post you quoted.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 22, 2024 1:35 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:24 pm [
Take the Johnny Deep case, it's so messy that you can't really and perfectly know what happened but only because he was "accused" he litteraly get blacklisted everywhere no matter the truth
And there it is.

People alway be telling on themselves

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed May 22, 2024 1:41 pm

Fuck that guy. Hopefully Yamcha get's a new voice actor.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:32 pm I'm not going to keep repeating the exact same things over and over, because you're clearly not invested in actually reading anything. The implications of him keeping voice acting roles was already just explained to you in the very post you quoted.
i read , you simply just don't understand the point of what i'm saying, YOU all are acting like if popular justice should make the world
Because what he did is disgusting he should be fired or recast, do you think it will change anything to what he did? will it change the world? of course not, and each time you'll watch db, you'll hear him . he did something unforgivable and have to pay for that but it's the human that should be judge, it have nothing to do with a "voice" and his job. Go further and kill all raper/ murderer but it have nothing to do with a job

the man and his work aren't related

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 22, 2024 1:48 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 pm

And he shouldn't be replaced in future works because....?

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed May 22, 2024 1:49 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:24 pm absolutely not, but basicaly you have "justice" for that case, he have to pay for that of course he if he really did it but WE are not judge, and it have nothing to do in his "voice actor" job that is a litteraly different things
So we as the public have no right to have any opinions on his behavior because we're not a judge or jury in a court of law? That sounds like the mindset of someone looking for an excuse to not take a stand on this.
a voice is a voice, no matter the people behind, a job is a job, you have "justice" to judge the thing, public are not judge
Take the Johnny Deep case, it's so messy that you can't really and perfectly know what happened but only because he was "accused" he litteraly get blacklisted everywhere no matter the truth
Like Mike said, Furuya's guilt isn't an open question- The man admitted to everything.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed May 22, 2024 1:52 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 pmthe man and his work aren't related
A woman suffered because she was a fan of Furuya's work, they' re related, don't be dense.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 22, 2024 1:55 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 pm Because what he did is disgusting he should be fired or recast, do you think it will change anything to what he did? will it change the world?
The colloquial meaning of "insanity" is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. At the risk of going insane by repeating myself after saying I won't repeat myself:

YES! YOU FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

We do think we can change the world by expecting someone to be replaced in this role (and his other roles), because it was literally his voice work that contributed to this relationship and his abuse via power dynamics. By replacing him, the studios show that this behavior is not tolerated or representative of their values, and that they want their fans (read: customers) to feel safe and secure.

Even if you want to have the most dire capitalistic read on it, yeah, it benefits The Corporations to let him go... and shows other potential abusers that they won't be able to keep their jobs if they perpetuate this same behavior, therefore making them think a second/third/billionth time before acting such a way in the first place. We changed the world AND made a corporation more money!!!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 22, 2024 1:56 pm

Works of art are an open invitation from an artist to their audience to think about their relationship to the art, and how their life's experiences affect their perception of that art. To say that Furuya's work is this somehow separate thing from him is patently untrue. Furuya's abusive actions do not exist in some vacuum separate from the bonds he asked audiences to make with his work. No artist's work does. Furuya used his privileged position as a famous actor to abuse a fan of his work. He used his social and financial capitol to actively harm someone who trusted him and felt a connection to him specifically because of his performances as an actor.

This shit doesn't just exist in a vacuum.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Wed May 22, 2024 2:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:48 pm

If he is in Jail He Should, else i don't see the point, his jobs is litteraly to give his voice to say what is written, it's no differrent than say that he should die or that anything he'll build/do/ construct should be destroyed because it's him that have done it
it's just stupid
he should go in jail, pay for what he did of course, if he can't do his job than he'll loose like anyone would loose but not loose his job for something not related to the work itself

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 22, 2024 2:12 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:06 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:48 pm

If he is in Jail He Should, else i don't see the point, his jobs is litteraly to give his voice to say what is written, it's no differrent than say that he should die or that anything he'll build/do/ construct should be destroyed because it's him that have done it
it's just stupid
he should go in jail, pay for what he did of course, if he can't do his job than he'll loose like anyone would loose but not loose his job for something not related to the work itself
Furuya is not owed to continue playing the roles that he has played, and we are not obligated to invite him back into our homes. There's a reason why we don't want abusers in our fandom spaces (conventions or events), and it's the same reason we don't want abusers in our art. Knowingly allowing Furuya to continue to contribute to the works that fans support is tasteless. He is not a safe person, and we should not be forced to suffer him for any reason.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 22, 2024 2:14 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:06 pm [ but not loose his job for something not related to the work itself
Sigh. But it was related to his work. That's what everyone keeps telling you.

His victim was a fan of his work. He used his position of power to abuse her. How are you not getting this? You've had this explained to you by multiple posters in this thread.

We get it, you want to pretend you care about justice while at the same time you don want to cope with an actor you like not being in the shows you enjoy. That's why you keep repeating "He should pay but not get fired since it's totally unrelated to his job"

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed May 22, 2024 2:49 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:29 pm So why would we allow someone that raped woman / killed people to get a job? i don't see furuya differrent than any sexual delinquant, i don't see where allowing to keep his work is saying "ok" , jail is the answer to what he did and only "justice" is called for that thing, they'll judge it with every elements they have

i am just slitting the man and his job, he is just " a voice", he represent nothing more than a voice, that's the same thing as if he was buildi
So... we gotta wait he's sentenced to prison (which unfortunately, it doesn't always happen) for the women he's harmed to finally have justice?

I understand that firing him and recasting his roles will not instantly end the hunger in the world and cease the wars.

But, you gotta think about how his female seiyuu colleagues may feel if he's still around the recording studios after they found out all the horrible things he's done to this poor fan girl and how this will affect Toei Animation's image.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed May 22, 2024 3:25 pm

I'm gonna be honest, I knew this mess was going to look a different kind of stupid from the Vic stuff due to the demographics, but I never thought we'd get to debating "should anyone face consequences for anything ever" this fast.

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Wed May 22, 2024 3:42 pm

Well I guess Yamaha’s a cheater after all that’s some truly method getting into character

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Wed May 22, 2024 3:50 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:14 pm
Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:06 pm [ but not loose his job for something not related to the work itself
Sigh. But it was related to his work. That's what everyone keeps telling you.

His victim was a fan of his work. He used his position of power to abuse her. How are you not getting this? You've had this explained to you by multiple posters in this thread.

We get it, you want to pretend you care about justice while at the same time you don want to cope with an actor you like not being in the shows you enjoy. That's why you keep repeating "He should pay but not get fired since it's totally unrelated to his job"
A sexual delinquant is a sexual delinquant, it was a fan but it could have been anyone else, any other mean (money etc), as a predator, he used his victim weakness so not really related to the dub work itself.

Don't misunderstand me, furuya to me is nothing more than a voice like another one in a show, i totaly don't know and care about him as a human being and even more now i know what he did. but please stop going too far, it's just a voice in the show, he didn't say anything he wanted to, he just say what he was supposed to say, nothing more, nothing less

and about why i repeat that he should pay but that's not why he should be fired, it's simply because all of you simply are leaded by emotions and even if i understand why everyone see him as a disgusting human being (i think the same) , you basicaly forgot that he wasn't hired to do more than just "play the voice" of a fictionnal characters so it's not related to what disgusting things he did

You should dissociate this things from the rest.

he'll probably go to jail and probably have to work again right after, he can perfectly do the same things in any other job, that's not a solution
Shaddy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:25 pm I'm gonna be honest, I knew this mess was going to look a different kind of stupid from the Vic stuff due to the demographics, but I never thought we'd get to debating "should anyone face consequences for anything ever" this fast.
in justice yes he have to
as i've said that's the same things as saying that a killer should be fired and never work again cause of what he did

JulieYBM wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:12 pm Furuya is not owed to continue playing the roles that he has played, and we are not obligated to invite him back into our homes. There's a reason why we don't want abusers in our fandom spaces (conventions or events), and it's the same reason we don't want abusers in our art. Knowingly allowing Furuya to continue to contribute to the works that fans support is tasteless. He is not a safe person, and we should not be forced to suffer him for any reason.
You can perfectly stop watching db,z,gt where he already act but as i've said before it's just stupid. Basicaly you are not a judge, you are a simple human being same as me with no right to do what others have to do

basically it's the man the delinquant, not the voice , in db it is just a voice and you don't have to give more credit to a voice than what it is
it will not stop him breathing, it will not stop him from anything and if he stop doing voice acting, then he'll do something else with the same ability to hurt someone.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 22, 2024 4:08 pm

I find it stupid and ironic that men will defend abusers like Harvey Weinstein, Andrew Tate, Vic Mignogna, Furuya Tooru, etc, but will also be like "Men are dangerous and rapey. We need to protect women!" when talking about trans women. It shows that they don't really care about women at all.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Wed May 22, 2024 4:09 pm

"Separate the art from the artist."
No. When the artist benefits from the art and uses said benefits to cause real word harm, then FUCK NO.
Also, if you really believed in that, then you'd have no problem separating the fact he's voiced Yamcha from the fact he should be behind bars.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 22, 2024 4:22 pm

Separate the art from the artist works if the person is dead or if they are not getting money from anything. People like Charlie Chaplin (a total creep), Alfred Hitchcock (woman abuser), H.P Lovecraft, William Golding, Kōichi Sugiyama, OJ Simpson, etc are shit bags, but at least they are not alive anymore to make profit. Meanwhile, I can't support people like Dave Sim, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Bryan Singer, Nobuhiro Watsuki, Marilyn Manson, etc because they are alive and make money from hurting others.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/