Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Joujou
Banned

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by Joujou » Wed May 22, 2024 4:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:08 pm I find it stupid and ironic that men will defend abusers like Harvey Weinstein, Andrew Tate, Vic Mignogna, Furuya Tooru, etc, but will also be like "Men are dangerous and rapey. We need to protect women!" when talking about trans women. It shows that they don't really care about women at all.
where i am defending furuya? i'm just saying that all of you should stop talking like if furuya is Yamcha, it's just a voice acting, if furuya was the one that build your house, you'll burned it too? it's just nonsence

saying that if he keep voice acting he'll do it again is not an argument cause he can do the same things in any job
yamcha is a fictionnal character , furuya nothing more than a voice in db
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:09 pm
"Separate the art from the artist."
No. When the artist benefits from the art and uses said benefits to cause real word harm, then FUCK NO.
Also, if you really believed in that, then you'd have no problem separating the fact he's voiced Yamcha from the fact he should be behind bars.
Kill him then cause he'll just be able to use a victim weakness in litteraly every job, any situation, as long as someone have a weakness, there will allways be a risk and it's not fired him that will solve it

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 22, 2024 4:55 pm

Joujou wrote: yamcha is a fictionnal character , furuya nothing more than a voice in db
......so you agree Furuya should be replaced as Yamcha in all future Dragon Ball projects? After all Yamcha is a fictional character and Furuya is nothing more than a voice so he's easily replacable. It shouldn't bother you if like Kenji Nojima started voicing Yamucha, right?

But also "Nothing is gonna stop him from being a creep so might as well let him continue to work as a voice actor" sure is a fucking take.

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Wed May 22, 2024 5:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:55 pm
Joujou wrote: yamcha is a fictionnal character , furuya nothing more than a voice in db
......so you agree Furuya should be replaced as Yamcha in all future Dragon Ball projects? After all Yamcha is a fictional character and Furuya is nothing more than a voice so he's easily replacable. It shouldn't bother you if like Kenji Nojima started voicing Yamucha, right?
If he had to be replaced , the recast will bother me as much as any other recast , cause to me furuya voice acting is just a voice acting and i'm just used to it. i can split the disgusting man from his job, i don't see anything except the time he'll probably spend to jail that explain why he should be fired doing voice acting forever.

to me it sound the same as telling murderer should be killed same for sexual delinquants (what i also think) cause there will allways be some risk and doing voice acting is the same than any other job they'll do later but here again it's not related to the voice acting that is only a job
you are leading the wrong fight
do you really think that fired him will change anything? absolutely not
his vocal job deserve to be "fired" ? No so why?
as i say just kill him and that's all
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:55 pm But also "Nothing is gonna stop him from being a creep so might as well let him continue to work as a voice actor" sure is a fucking take.
The thing is that his crime isn't related to the voice acting, he abused a girl using his weakness, in any job, this kind of things happened.
should he stopped breathing too? should he deserve to keep eating? should he deserve to anything? sure your argument is a fucking take. if you want to trash every show where he did voice acting, free to you, sure it will change the world , it will repair what he've done...

The problem is not his voice , it's the man and it's not because you listen something where his voice can be heared that it make you agree with what he did, it's just the most stupid argument i've ever heard

obama as a president lead various war like most us president, have blood on his hand, nowaday he is freely producing shows and movies on netflix, did it caused trouble to us people? absolutely not , it is differrent than what furuya did? no, killing someone is not differrent than a rape except that furuya will pay legaly, not obama to me in this case either i don't care about him being a producer now, i am more focused cause him will never pay for the various death he give order. and it's not being fired from a job that will make you pay for a crime
it's what you'll get from the "justice" (that can be discussed elsewhere) i understand emotions about this but stop being irrationnal

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:42 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:10 pm i understand emotions about this but stop being irrationnal
OK then, answer without emotions: He should be detained and held behind bars. The fact is, he is a menace to society and shouldn't be able to walk free. Yamcha can easily find a new voice actor, I mean, we have no emotional attachment to him anyway.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 22, 2024 6:37 pm

Abusers should be locked up. No ifs and whataboutism at all.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed May 22, 2024 6:44 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:10 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:55 pm
The thing is that his crime isn't related to the voice acting, he abused a girl using his weakness, in any job, this kind of things happened.
should he stopped breathing too? should he deserve to keep eating? should he deserve to anything? sure your argument is a fucking take. if you want to trash every show where he did voice acting, free to you, sure it will change the world , it will repair what he've done...
We don't know if it's not related, guy is veteran voice actor, people like him earn more money than rest of stuff working on anime combined (According to Shirobako, series i can't recommend enough BTW :) .https://www.animeherald.com/2014/11/19/ ... -salaries/ ) More than enough reason to think you are above others...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 22, 2024 7:11 pm

Should he be fired and replaced? Yes. Will he? I’m not too sure.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:11 pm Should he be fired and replaced? Yes. Will he? I’m not too sure.
It remains to be seen as to whether or not that will actually happen at this point. Toei and other parties hasn't even made any statements on this in an official capacity so far from what i can see, and so who knows at this point if termination/recasting of Furuya will take place, be it Dragon Ball or otherwise.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed May 22, 2024 9:00 pm

It's over, he already admitted his guilt, and knowing JP everyone is going to distance themselves from him (already happening) and even erase his name when the possibility comes up (in addition to just not featuring him at appearances or casting him in any roles, see the last guy involved in an affair). Those are just the normal consequences, and personally I hope that the victim gets proper restitution.
A terrible choice on his end, and to make matters worse you never know the next public personality who's going to turn out this way.
That being said, there's literally nothing more to deliberate on, so I wonder how this thread went on for 3 pages.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed May 22, 2024 10:03 pm

That's a mess. An absolute mess.

Actors have masks as their trade. The real-life stuff will never fail to surprise you.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed May 22, 2024 10:50 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:00 pmThat being said, there's literally nothing more to deliberate on, so I wonder how this thread went on for 3 pages.
Based on the Vic Mignogna thread: Updates on the situation, people (like Joujou) trying to muddy the waters in support of the perpetrator, and people responding to both of those tend to lengthen threads like this.

Right now it's mostly the latter two.

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Wed May 22, 2024 11:49 pm

Joujou wrote:If he had to be replaced , the recast will bother me as much as any other recast , cause to me furuya voice acting is just a voice acting and i'm just used to it. i can split the disgusting man from his job, i don't see anything except the time he'll probably spend to jail that explain why he should be fired doing voice acting forever.

to me it sound the same as telling murderer should be killed same for sexual delinquants (what i also think) cause there will allways be some risk and doing voice acting is the same than any other job they'll do later but here again it's not related to the voice acting that is only a job
you are leading the wrong fight
do you really think that fired him will change anything? absolutely not
his vocal job deserve to be "fired" ? No so why?
as i say just kill him and that's all
Kind of hard to understand what you're trying to say here, but are you actually equating losing a job as a voice actor to getting executed for murder?
Go over time and space...

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed May 22, 2024 11:54 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:50 pm Based on the Vic Mignogna thread: Updates on the situation, people (like Joujou) trying to muddy the waters in support of the perpetrator, and people responding to both of those tend to lengthen threads like this.

Right now it's mostly the latter two.
In which case, I guess there's one thing to file in with the first category, since yet another receipt has come up.
Context: Abortion consent form, dated 2021.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu May 23, 2024 12:01 am

Since I havent seen this being covered in more detail in any other english site, translation of Weekly Bunshun Exposé on Toru Furuya with further context and detail:

https://zeonic-republic.net/?page_id=11486

Not looking any better.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 23, 2024 12:04 am

“The moment I stepped into the room, he pushed me onto the bed with a force I hadn’t expected. There was no buildup, no romance. It was so abrupt. As he grew more aroused, he tried to enter me without protection. I pleaded, ‘Wait, please,’ but he brushed it off, saying, ‘It’s okay, it’s okay,'” she recounts.

She tried to stop him again, but he explained, “I can’t produce sperm. My wife and I tried fertility treatments for about 7 years. Even if I finish inside you, there’s absolutely no chance you’ll get pregnant.”

As mentioned earlier, Furuya does have a daughter, but…

A-ko reflects, “Even though he said that I was still anxious about getting pregnant. But he was my idol, someone I admired deeply. The thought that he might be lying never crossed my mind. In the end, we had unprotected sex that night,” she admits.
Oh dear god, this is sickening.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu May 23, 2024 12:08 am

Not even barring him from everything in this scene would be enough at this point. Proper photographic evidence has come up and it only hammers the nail even deeper.
This is far beyond "case closed" (and no, I'm not referring to the localized name of Detective Conan before it somehow comes up).

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Thu May 23, 2024 12:12 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:01 am Since I havent seen this being covered in more detail in any other english site, translation of Weekly Bunshun Exposé on Toru Furuya with further context and detail:

Not looking any better.
Jesus Christ, I didn't think it was actually that bad. I guess the original Twitter post was as dumbed down as they (Furuya and his team) could possibly make it without actually lying, really infuriating stuff. I'm glad this stuff is trending on Japanese sites, since it means there's basically no chance he gets rehired without tons of backlash.
Go over time and space...

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu May 23, 2024 12:18 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:01 am Since I havent seen this being covered in more detail in any other english site, translation of Weekly Bunshun Exposé on Toru Furuya with further context and detail:

Not looking any better.
Oh man... This is way worse.
Does your family know about the affair?
“I told them everything (before this interview). My wife said I was foolish and shortsighted and that we’ll have to live with this shame. It seems she told our daughter, who apparently said, ‘I’m on dad’s side.'”
Shit, I can't even believe how the daughter preferred to defend her asshole dad rather than her mom.

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FireFly » Thu May 23, 2024 12:36 am

This guy should be in prison for what he did. No excuse.

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Thu May 23, 2024 12:53 am

Damn, it sucks that someone like this committed such an atrocity. Is atrocity too strong a word? I'm trying to find the proper word to describe this situation. But anyway, it's a shame, I liked Tooru as Yamcha, but an act like this cannot be overlooked.