Has Toriyama ever worked as an assistant?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Has Toriyama ever worked as an assistant?

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:00 pm

A random thought that came to my mind as I was working on an essay. Do we know if Toriyama ever worked as an assistant to another mangaka at any point in his entire career?

It is known by this point that many mangaka start out as assistants before they branch out with their own series under their own pen but did Toriyama ever go through that phase either during or before he started making his one shots or Dr. Slump or in his post-Dragon Ball years or did he go straight into doing his own thing without working under another author?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Has Toriyama ever worked as an assistant?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 23, 2024 12:12 pm

Nope, he went straight from contest submissions to direct serialization as far as we've ever been told.

We know he had hundreds upon hundreds of rejected pages before this, but Akira Toriyama debuted within the pages of Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump in November 1978 with Wonder Island.

Wonder Island 2 and Today's Highlights followed that, and then the timeline is a bit wonky: Dr. Slump was already in production for full serialization, but due to a disagreement and bet between Toriyama and Torishima (Torishima wanted Arale to be the main character, Toriyama didn't), Gal Detective Tomato was produced and ran first -- since it was well-liked with a female protagonist, Toriyama lost the best and made Arale the main character instead of Senbei, and the rest is history.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri May 24, 2024 10:12 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:00 pm A random thought that came to my mind as I was working on an essay. Do we know if Toriyama ever worked as an assistant to another mangaka at any point in his entire career?

It is known by this point that many mangaka start out as assistants before they branch out with their own series under their own pen but did Toriyama ever go through that phase either during or before he started making his one shots or Dr. Slump or in his post-Dragon Ball years or did he go straight into doing his own thing without working under another author?
His work on DBS can be thought of as assisting with the work Toyotaro did, frequently revising illustrations, drawing characters for the saga or putting his ideas in there.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri May 24, 2024 2:15 pm

Toriyama famously didn't even realize mangaka commonly had assistants, so he produced the first few months of Dr. Slump all by himself until it was pointed out he should probably get some help.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat May 25, 2024 12:30 pm

Alkiser wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:12 am
SHINOBI-03 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:00 pm A random thought that came to my mind as I was working on an essay. Do we know if Toriyama ever worked as an assistant to another mangaka at any point in his entire career?

His work on DBS can be thought of as assisting with the work Toyotaro did, frequently revising illustrations, drawing characters for the saga or putting his ideas in there.
How about the collaboration he did with Masakazu Katsura on Sachi-Chan Good? I just read the translation of the interview they did and I found it rather interesting how Toriyama approached Katsura first with the idea instead of doing the story all by himself. I know it's not exactly the same idea of a Manga assistant but it's still one of Toriyama's rare moments in his career.
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... u-katsura/
Adamant wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:15 pm Toriyama famously didn't even realize mangaka commonly had assistants, so he produced the first few months of Dr. Slump all by himself until it was pointed out he should probably get some help.
Why do I feel Torishima purposefully didn't tell him that little detail? :lol:
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?