"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 26, 2024 1:50 am

I played the story content of the new DLC last night & was thoroughly entertained from start to finish. They really used the concept of the time Patrol & Fu being able to travel to alternate timelines very well & created an interesting start to whatever this new story arc is going to be.

The Series X port was also a welcome upgrade over the Xbox One version. They toned up the color saturation & resolution, which creates a more vibrant image & tones down the shimmering, as the anti-aliasing is mostly better than how it used to be. It's not eliminated completely, unfortunately, but it's not as bad as it was before. However, that seems to be all they did. At first glance, anyways, as while I'm sure they added to the details in some places, I couldn't find any instance in the hub world or the reused arenas in the story content where there was any. It's like when you load a game up on an emulator & have the emulator kick up the resolution of it passed where the game was originally programmed to display at. I didn't expect a complete overhaul of the visuals or environments, but when other game remasters make a point to take advantage of the current console technology to add to their visuals in some very noticeable way to the audience, it's left in the dust, unfortunately. The game's 9 years old this year & it's stuck looking like an upscaled game from 9 years ago. DBZ Kakarot did more to add to the visual bump it got. This comes off more like an Xbox One X/PS4 Pro patch that raises the resolution & not much else, which I'm surprised it wasn't given 7-8 years ago.

Story spoilers. Don't read this section if you haven't played yet.

First, Fu teams up with Z Broly for...reasons. More gathering data & shit. It's not established what he's collecting it for yet. I don't mind him doing this, however, I don't understand how Fu got blind-sighted by Broly breaking away from any control he had on him when he powered up. That's...kind of what happened to Paragus in the movie & Fu no doubt would've been able to see that with his powers.
I...don't understand the timeline this part is set in. At first, it may appear to be the timeline the first Z Broly film is set in, but Gohan's a Super Saiyan, so I thought it was the main one set during the 10-day wait for the Cell Games, but then Goku isn't a Super Saiyan & Cell doesn't show up, which you'd think he might. Maybe it's set in a timeline which I theorize that the original Broly film was supposed to be where it's post Cell where Goku didn't fuck around & just took him out, so he's still alive & Gohan's still always a Super Saiyan? Or maybe it hijacks the plot of the movie & Paragus is no longer in the picture? It's confusing. You team up with Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, & Trunks to fight him, then Goku comes in & Broly goes insane.
I like the twist on the original plot where after everyone gets beat the shit out of, they all give their power to your character instead of Goku, including Goku, & I love it.

Second, Fu teams up with Zamasu before he switched bodies with Goku, gathered him the Super Dragon Balls so he can do that, then stops him from killing Goku in his body...for some reason & Goten. Still, Fu's blind-sighted by Zamasu wanting to kill him for the consistent reason of "You are someone playing god, but you're not one." Fu's genuinely such an ADHD gremlin that he doesn't think more than 1 step ahead & I find that hilarious. Dude genuinely would've died by Zamasu in Goku's body super powered if the CAC wasn't there.
Goku also stays stuck in Zamasu's body, but I guess they're gonna gather the Super Dragon Balls to undo it?

Third, & my favorite bit of alternate history, they go to an alternate timeline version of Battle of Gods where Vegeta's the Super Saiyan God for some reason. That's a brilliant concept for an alternate version of that story. Unfortunately, it's wasted pretty quickly by Fu turning Vegeta evil, then Goku attains the form because XV2 can't do anything remotely cool for more than 5 seconds for some reason, but the set-up was cool.
Vegeta & Goku then taking on Beerus, having flashes of Super Saiyan Blue, then going into the form for a second when they fight his death ball was also great. Better explanation than any that we've gotten for how they got the form so far, ngl.

Credit to James Marsters too. He's a brilliant voice actor for Zamasu, but he did excellent as Goku in Zamasu's body. He knows how to properly imitate Schemmel's inflections for the character, but doesn't try to do the high-pitched shit that Schemmel's been trying & failing to do since Super. I'm sorry, but that never sounds natural or good when he does it. I get that he's trying to play the character similarly to how Nozawa does, but he wasn't cast to do that in '99 & it's not in his skill set as an actor. It always comes off as forced. By the same token as Marsters, Schemmel does excellently as Goku Black/Zamasu. I'm not a fan of the slight British accent he keeps doing (even if I understand he's trying to imitate Marsters' cadence & accent), but he plays a very excellent Goku Black here.

Also, the DLC was pretty easy. Like, I was level 103 for it because I haven't bothered grinding (yet) while the recommended levels were 110, then 120. Every enemy, I was pretty easily able to take down with the core gameplay loop of Combo + Kaioken Kamehameha. The only one who gave me trouble was Beeruss & that's only because of his super armor. The enemies also seem to break out of beam attacks half the time for some reason now, like they have revenge value that randomly decides to activate just because.

Also, for some reason the subtitles were more often than not misaligned, so they're just in 1 long string of text that go off the sides of the screen for some reason. I hope the address that in a patch because that's fucking annoying.

End of spoilers.
Zelvin wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:52 pm I don't find the new DLC exciting nor worth the $20 price tag. And not to speak ill of JYB, but he just isn't Broly. His voice just doesn't match the character. Especially those lines they used for LSSJ Broly during the story campaign. It sounds really off. At this point I'd just recommend using the Japanese voices instead.
Johnny's fine. It's just a major shift from the voice Vic gave the character. This is the first real outing for Johnny as Z Broly since they're not gonna go back & redub the movies (like they should with better scripts). His voice for him naturally sounds younger & different from Vic's since Johnny naturally has a younger-sounding voice than Vic did for him. It's unavoidable since Vic was fired several years ago for the genuine problematic behaviors he'd displayed behind the scenes & at cons over the years beforehand. However, if you're gonna argue they could've cast better, I can see that argument. It's not like he's doing a bad job, though. XV2 just isn't the best place for new actors (or returning ones) to cut their teeth on characters, as we've seen before because they don't get the cutscenes to dub over & are just told to match the timings of the JP voice recordings.
Zelvin wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:52 pm And now you can go to lv140. Why? There's no purpose to it. And all the Dragonball streamers use the same method to reach lv140 the fastest; Buy'em. That's it. This coming from people with 10million TP medals and 10billion zeni. Whether earned or not. Just to get from 120 to 140 via TP medals alone would be around 7200 if my math is correct. It could be more. Assuming you have 8 CaC's at Lv120 already then it'd cost you 57,600TP medals to level them all to 140 without grinding exp. At this point they're just telling you to mod the game and give yourself the TP medals since you can't use the cash shop to buy them anymore. Then again they took them out of the cash shop because people just modded their files to give themselves loads of TP medals.

For anyone who can't/won't mod the game, you're stuck grinding the old fashioned way because the Dragonballs still won't let you wish for levels passed lv99. So you're just screwed. I have no idea why they didn't adjust the Dragonballs to let you keep wishing for levels.
Literally to get people to come back to the game after however long of a break. The people who constantly play the game with no new content, or come back for the raids is no doubt a very small pool of people.
The people who brag about have shit tons of TP medals are assholes, ngl. I saw a reddit post of someone looking for the best route to grind EXP to get to 120 & the first reply is talking about the TP medals. Not everyone has the cash to spend or time or want to sink to grind them. You might as well just use the Goku Super Soul to get 3x the experience points & grind the Expert Missions that give you almost 800,000 EXP per thing whether you win or not, imo. I genuinely don't understand why they don't add in a currency exchange. I have a LOT of Zeni, but barely any TP Medals.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Sun May 26, 2024 10:18 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 am
BrolyLSSJ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:12 amThey really need to add Kale and others to the game.
I doubt they'll be adding any new characters, as XV3 will most likely be announced soon.
I would say Pay up...but you're banned...
Dragon Ball Multiverse (Not the comics)<Where to find me!
"GROWING STRONGER! YES...STRONGER!-Broly

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed May 29, 2024 12:31 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm decently impressed with the fact that Bandai patched the PC version to have decent anti-aliasing with the 'enhanced graphics' option. Good to see they went to some effort to improve the PC version as well and not leave it as a half-assed port for all eternity.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu May 30, 2024 11:29 am

So, played the new PQs the other day. They were decent fun, but maybe a bit on the easy side. I will say that the voice lines kinda broke. up the pacing a bit. Like, I was level 104-106 while playing them & was able to blast through each segment, only for the voice lines to take up more time than they should've before I could move on to the next segment. So, either the base difficulty should've been higher for the level people could potentially be so I wasn't just doing nothing while waiting for the voice lines to finish, or the voice lines should've been shorter.
I was entertained by the absurdity of some of them, though. Like Zamasu getting body-swapped with Ginyu & Ginyu getting a big head because of that goes against Freeza. That was really funny as a premise. I also love hearing James Marsters as Zamasu. He was a brilliant stunt casting by Sabat back during Super & he continues to be stellar here.
Nickolaidas wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:31 pm Just wanted to chime in and say I'm decently impressed with the fact that Bandai patched the PC version to have decent anti-aliasing with the 'enhanced graphics' option. Good to see they went to some effort to improve the PC version as well and not leave it as a half-assed port for all eternity.
They made the anti-aliasing better on consoles too. Granted, hair & stuff still shimmers for no reason, but it's MUCH better than it was pre-update/port. Especially since it's at a higher resolution than 1080p.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 30, 2024 10:15 pm

I like that they give Raditz a special interaction with Goku Black, but they didn't do one with Baby Vegeta against Goku Black. They still miss the opporunity to do an interaction between DBZ Broli and DBS Broli.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:11 am

We need Base DBS Broly with Wraith Form now!!!
Dragon Ball Multiverse (Not the comics)<Where to find me!
"GROWING STRONGER! YES...STRONGER!-Broly

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:55 am

I'm an idiot. Don't know if this was an option on the PS4 edition of the game, or the Steam edition before the advanced graphics options, but you can actually turn the Color Glare off.

JESUS CHRIST.

Now everyone DOESN'T look like they are radioactive.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:58 pm

Would anyone still want to see a XV3 when we have Sparking Zero now?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:56 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:58 pm Would anyone still want to see a XV3 when we have Sparking Zero now?
If they focused on the things I wanted out of Xenoverse instead of the things I don't really care about, I would. I want Xenoverse to explore more alternative timelines, preferably with the player able to change the outcome. We're supposed to be playing a time cop. The scenarios should be more interesting than "character X has black aura now, and is stronger than they're supposed to be" or "movie character showed up for five minutes." Although Sparking Zero seems to be dipping into that with their what-if scenarios, I think Xenoverse still has potential if it fully leans into that. Especially if they give us the option to become a Time Breaker, changing timelines in an attempt to create more ideal outcomes. Or even just changing things just to be evil.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:32 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:56 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:58 pm Would anyone still want to see a XV3 when we have Sparking Zero now?
If they focused on the things I wanted out of Xenoverse instead of the things I don't really care about, I would. I want Xenoverse to explore more alternative timelines, preferably with the player able to change the outcome. We're supposed to be playing a time cop. The scenarios should be more interesting than "character X has black aura now, and is stronger than they're supposed to be" or "movie character showed up for five minutes." Although Sparking Zero seems to be dipping into that with their what-if scenarios, I think Xenoverse still has potential if it fully leans into that. Especially if they give us the option to become a Time Breaker, changing timelines in an attempt to create more ideal outcomes. Or even just changing things just to be evil.
Honestly, I play Xenoverse 2 for anything BUT the plot. It is a mountain of cringe. Thank God the game is really fun to play and gives you tons of things to do.