Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by FireFly » Thu May 23, 2024 2:59 pm

Yeah the dude is a scumbag, I don't see how any defense of him is possible at this point. If it were just the affair/abortion alone I would maybe consider he is repenting genuinely, but the sexual assault and repeated counts of physical abuse (right down to confiscating her phone and breaking into her room and hiding from cops) solidifies it. Guy should be blacklisted from any and all forms of entertainment he can possibly work on and ideally put in jail. If he continues to work then the Japanese entertainment industry and general public should really consider a legal reform

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu May 23, 2024 3:26 pm

FireFly wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:42 pm I don't think Furuya meant what he said. Seems like an alligator tears apology he wrote up so he could get the minimum punishment. Guy probably wrote it up in the hopes of saving his career and/or getting off with the smallest legal reprisal should his case go to trial. If he had remorse he wouldn't lie about being infertile to force himself on the woman.

The guy even punched her so hard she got a nosebleed and when she called an ambulance, he tried to break into her room and fled when cops came. He doesn't mean a word he said and is just hoping to save his own ass.
Regardless, it's in between the point of "turn yourself in right the moment all this goes down" and "deny deny deny". Not the best decision, but also somehow not the worst either. Ideally he wouldn't even have gone through with the first contact altogether and simply left it as "making a fan's day with an autograph" or something. Actions ultimately speak louder than words, whether he meant it or not.

And if anything it makes it impossible to even put up any kind of defense. He had the choice to just not act on his selfish urges, but he initiated it anyway. And from there he just made the situation worse and worse. Anyone somehow saying he shouldn't be punished has nothing to stand on whatsoever.

As in, pleading guilty from the jump means no need for it to even go to court (of course, if he were to hire a defense then it would fly in the face of that).

Personally, it's not like I enjoy continuing to state the obvious beyond what's already evident and agreed upon, so I won't bother with it till anything else (more consequences, updates, etc) comes up.

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FireFly » Thu May 23, 2024 3:35 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:26 pm

As in, pleading guilty from the jump means no need for it to even go to court (of course, if he were to hire a defense then it would fly in the face of that).

Personally, it's not like I enjoy continuing to state the obvious beyond what's already evident and agreed upon, so I won't bother with it till anything else (more consequences, updates, etc) comes up.
The reason why he's even pleading guilty in the first place is because he knows the judicial system will go easier on him as he can present the apology as "proof" he feels remorse for what he did. He let it continue this long, and forced himself on the woman and lied about being infertile to dishonestly get her consent as well as assaulted her physically and tried to take her phone and hid from the cops. If not for that particular action I'd believe he feels some measure of guilt, but I highly doubt it. Only reason this isn't going in the absolute WORST route that you mentioned is because he knows when to feign taking responsibility so he'll get whatever is the closest to a slap on the wrist.

As you said, actions speak louder than words, and I normally am not fond of people getting canceled for words all that much, but he's proven time and again with his actions that he is an unscrupulous and despicable person who evades taking responsibility. Only reason the apology came at the convenient time it did is because he knows with his deeds out in the open for the public to hear, his best bet at saving his hide is to write a sincere apology he near-definitely doesn't even mean. A repentant person doesn't hide from the cops and break into the victim's room and steal her phone lol

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FireFly » Thu May 23, 2024 4:04 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tor ... JDXY4UzC13

Source for the villa altercation if anyone is in doubt.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu May 23, 2024 10:18 pm

I have nothing to say or feel that hasn't already been repeated ad infinitum by everybody else in this thread, so I will instead post a visual representation of how I feel about this drama.

I'm not gonna say I expected better from voice actors, (see: literally any drama from the FUNimation side) but I at least thought the original Japanese cast was better than this depravity. Apparently I was a fool to believe that.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri May 24, 2024 1:01 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:18 pm I'm not gonna say I expected better from voice actors, (see: literally any drama from the FUNimation side) but I at least thought the original Japanese cast was better than this depravity. Apparently I was a fool to believe that.
Japanese or not, they're just humans. Humans are just human.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri May 24, 2024 1:42 pm

Yup, shitty people exist across all nationalities.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri May 24, 2024 3:08 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:18 pm I'm not gonna say I expected better from voice actors, (see: literally any drama from the FUNimation side) but I at least thought the original Japanese cast was better than this depravity. Apparently I was a fool to believe that.
No matter from what dub they're from, you'll always have some person who's gonna do that kind of shit in the cast.

For example, in the LatAm Spanish dub, Uub and Yajirobe's voice actor Luis Daniel Ramírez was found to have installed hidden cameras in the women's bathroom of a recording studio, and this guy ended up banned in most Mexican dubbing studios and replaced as Yajirobe in DB Super SUPER HERO.

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Sun May 26, 2024 6:53 am

Has there ever been a precedence with regards to VA in Japan?
Or should we expect to see him atone, go in therapy and subsequently get another chance?

At least he admitted it. That's an important step.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun May 26, 2024 9:49 am

I remember seeing claims that Japan is way less tolerant about this stuff than the US is, back when the Vic stuff was going on. No idea how true that is, but I'm not really going to be fussed if he's blacklisted for this.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 26, 2024 1:29 pm

Jord wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:53 am

The next important step is him going to prison

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 26, 2024 2:44 pm

It’s at least a relief that he doesn’t seem to be taking the OJ Simpson/Johnny Depp “I did nothing wrong, she was the real abuser” playbook.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun May 26, 2024 3:48 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:49 am I remember seeing claims that Japan is way less tolerant about this stuff than the US is, back when the Vic stuff was going on. No idea how true that is, but I'm not really going to be fussed if he's blacklisted for this.
Voice actor Tatsuhisa Suzuki went on hitus after reports came about him having extramarital affairs but, he resumed activities after a one year hiatus. Of course, Suzuki actions don't have the same level of gravitas as Furuya's physical abuse and rape of a woman but, there is predecent of the industry leaving stuff under the rug.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 26, 2024 5:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:29 pm
Jord wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:53 am

The next important step is him going to prison
This this this.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon May 27, 2024 12:34 pm

Why does this keep happening? Is the dub community just inherently toxic for some reason? Is this the fault of the fandom? I don't understand.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 27, 2024 12:37 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:34 pm Why does this keep happening? Is the dub community just inherently toxic for some reason? Is this the fault of the fandom? I don't understand.
What are you even on about?

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon May 27, 2024 1:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:37 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:34 pm Why does this keep happening? Is the dub community just inherently toxic for some reason? Is this the fault of the fandom? I don't understand.
Wasn't there just a huge scandal with that sean schemmel guy?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 27, 2024 2:09 pm

...No? Why are you bringing up the dub when this has nothing to do with it?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 27, 2024 3:23 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:59 pm

D-d-did you even read the topic title?

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon May 27, 2024 4:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:23 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:59 pm

D-d-did you even read the topic title?
Oh whoa this is the original actor? Totally misunderstood. Still, that only shifts the question...