Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michael_Takagawa

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Michael_Takagawa » Sat May 25, 2024 3:26 pm

Now, back to what I'm saying…

Controversial Goku's actions are, calling a pure-hearted character like him unlikeable and deserving to be killed by Beerus is too harsh of a punishment. His allies like Vegeta, Piccolo, Bulma and even Gohan do call him out for his actions, whether they are done out of cluelessness or carelessness. Goku may be selfish, but he is not heartless to let his friends be killed or the world be destroyed by his opponents. He also didn't let Frieza go completely off the hook, as he made it clear that he will beat Frieza if he continues his evil ways, and stopped him as Gogeta from killing Cheelai and Lemo. If Goku wears unlikeable like you're saying, Ali, then he'd be like Goku Black.

Michael_Takagawa

Post by Michael_Takagawa » Sat May 25, 2024 9:43 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:30 pm Some people here said that there is the possibility voice recording for this show hasn't even started yet, given how none of the trailers have any, so if they're doing it they'll need to rush it and find another VA for Yamcha ASAP, as they'll also need to record his voice for Sparking Zero and I believe, re-record his lines from the still running console & mobile games?
I don't think Yamcha needs to be recast. Furuya is Yamcha for 38 years, like how he is Amuro Ray for 45 years. One scandal isn't going to stop him from voice-acting. Takahiro Sakurai had a scandal before, and it didn't stop him from voicing Cloud Strife, Giyu Tomioka, and Rohan Kishibe.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:49 pm

He raped and beat a woman. I know going salted earth on old DB content is ridiculous but I doubt Toei will want to associate with him anymore.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Michael_Takagawa

Post by Michael_Takagawa » Sat May 25, 2024 10:34 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:49 pm He raped and beat a woman. I know going salted earth on old DB content is ridiculous but I doubt Toei will want to associate with him anymore.
Oh, my bad. Guess I haven't read the full news and thought it was a mere affair. Retracting my earlier statement, I hope that Yamcha isn't written out of the franchise entirely.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun May 26, 2024 4:18 am

Michael_Takagawa wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:06 am I apologize for what I said earlier. I haven't been visiting my therapist for a while since he decided to go on leave.

It's really, really frustrating for me to tolerate people who openly express their dislike of popular shows like DBS to the point they get certain facts wrong, like I am facing against 7 billion people on the face of the planet. When I have that grudge, I feel the need to right that injustice so that I can be easier on myself.
It's... just a cartoon... You're talking as if I committed a real life crime or something.
There's no need to get this upset over dissenting opinions.

I'm sorry if the way I express myself got into you personally, but I don't complain about things just for the sake of being negative. If I tell you, "I didn't like the way they handled [X thing] in [X series], I hope they do it better next time", it's not because I'm out to get people angry, it's because I genuinely didn't like how they did things and want to see this franchise be the best it can be.

Also, I'm far from the only person who thought Goku in Super was unlikable and done dirty.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 26, 2024 3:21 pm

I hope Gokuu or some other man gets punched in the balls again in Daima. Just for old time's sake, y'know?

In other news, I'm curious to see Mr. Satan again for the first time since his third voice actor, Ebara Masashi (Might Guy from NARUTO) was brought on to voice the character in 2020. Insofar, Ebara has only voiced Mr. Satan in video games, to the best of my knowledge. It'll be really interesting to see his chemistry with the other actors, assuming Mr. Satan has any dialogue as an adult.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 26, 2024 3:25 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:21 pm I hope Gokuu or some other man gets punched in the balls again in Daima. Just for old time's sake, y'know?

In other news, I'm curious to see Mr. Satan again for the first time since his third voice actor, Ebara Masashi (Might Guy from NARUTO) was brought on to voice the character in 2020. Insofar, Ebara has only voiced Mr. Satan in video games, to the best of my knowledge. It'll be really interesting to see his chemistry with the other actors, assuming Mr. Satan has any dialogue as an adult.
I really hope so too, and it would be a good way of showing the show is allowed to have SOME edge. I think Daima will have edge but most fans just think its going to be "Jim Henson's Muppet Babies".
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun May 26, 2024 9:39 pm

I saw a lot of people complaining that One Piece's 25th anniversary is being promoted more than an anime made to celebrate DB's 40th year, and yes, it doesn't make sense... but could it have something to do with Toriyama passing away? It seemed like he was pretty involved with the project; I don't know how much that might have affected Daima's marketing.

capsulecorp wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:04 pm No one would call the DBS anime "groundbreaking", but at the end of the day it was decent promotion for the manga and the films.
If you mean the original manga and older movies, yes. If not, it's the other way around.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:49 pm He raped and beat a woman. I know going salted earth on old DB content is ridiculous but I doubt Toei will want to associate with him anymore.
Wow, do you have a source on that? Can't believe that's true. He seemed like a cool guy.
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:51 pm Also, I did finish Yu Yu Hakusho, and yes, I didn't like Yusuke turning into Goku in the final third of the anime either.
How's that and why?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun May 26, 2024 10:04 pm

Noah wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:39 pm
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:51 pm Also, I did finish Yu Yu Hakusho, and yes, I didn't like Yusuke turning into Goku in the final third of the anime either.
How's that and why?
Basically, Yusuke starts saying things like, "I don't care about the fate of the world, I'm only interested in fighting you!" Is suddenly retconned to be a member of another super strong race, gets a super form out of nowhere, does a 180 on his morality and starts doing questionable things like talking about killing people to feed to other demons, and proposes solving complex subjects such as an inter-realm war with tournaments of power. Most of his character journey is very similar with how Toriyama slowly written Goku to be less heroic and more selfish as the arcs went on. The difference is that with Yusuke, it all happened in an instant.

Still, I think it's better we continue that discussion elsewhere. My PMs are open if you want to.

Michael_Takagawa

Post by Michael_Takagawa » Mon May 27, 2024 10:27 am

Noah wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:39 pm
Wow, do you have a source on that? Can't believe that's true. He seemed like a cool guy.
Trust us, he's a lightyear far from it: https://zeonic-republic.net/?page_id=11486

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:08 pm

The marketing of Daima is so terrible.

We have Bandai Namco giving everything into promote DB Sparking Zero, and then we have Shueisha/Toei who don't give us an update since January, about a new anime series that we barely know anything about and comes out in October...

When they showed Goku character trailer in January, I thought they would release more monthly trailers about other characters, but we got nothing more so far...

DBS anime ended in 2018. A new anime after all these years to celebrate the 40th anniversary of a big franchise like this deserves much more advertising. It doesn't matter if the brand name is big enough to carry it. They are treating Dragon Ball like its some small IP and it's not the first time. Super Hero marketing was trash too.

We don't know what the story is really about. We don't who is the composer. We don't even have a key visual. And if they are waiting for San Diego Comic Con to show us more, we won't get anything this month either.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:24 pm

I think this is awesome marketing, and I studied it. Okay you are correct that promotion should be bigger to allow more hype, but the sheer ""When the fuck are they going to give us a Daima trailer hype is beyond priceless. One may even say its free, which it is lol.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:30 pm

Shueisha is in charge of marketing, and my assumption is that they want it to be done close to the premier, since they knew that the series would be premiering later down the line, long after production commenced. While I'm not sure that I would call this smart, it is less expensive.
She/Her

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:54 pm

Also...Dragon Ball Daima just isn't "like that" (is you like that?)

If they did go all in with the hype, then it creates the impression that this is the next big Dragon Ball story line and I don't think that's what this is. There's now added weight as this is likely the last thing Toriyama ever did for the franchise before he passed, but I always saw this as a celebratory thing as opposed to a full on event.

People forget that the reason why Broly got the push that it did is that it very much was positioned as an event film, literally the re-emergence of one of DBZ's most popular character not named Goku or Vegeta. That wasn't Superhero and that certainly isn't going to be Daima.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:23 pm

I mean, we don't really know how big Daima is meant to be. It doesn't appear to be stopping at just one cour in length, and if it's airing on television they tend to prefer that these series be one or two years long.

Daima won't be Broli, because Broli was a film, but Daima is still meant to be trotted out like a prized pig at big US events and conventions, it's just not being done until closer to the broadcast.
She/Her

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:20 pm

The anime comes out in 4 months, yet we don't know anything about this anime other than everyone turned into kids with the exception of Goten and Trunks who turned into babies. If Toei has complete control of this anime, then I don't expect good results from it.

Toei seems to only care about One Piece, they don't seem to care about Dragon Ball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:34 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:20 pm The anime comes out in 4 months, yet we don't know anything about this anime other than everyone turned into kids with the exception of Goten and Trunks who turned into babies. If Toei has complete control of this anime, then I don't expect good results from it.

Toei seems to only care about One Piece, they don't seem to care about Dragon Ball.
Toei Animation is not in control of the marketing for Dragon Ball Daima, actually. Shueisha is.

"Toei Animation doesn't care about Dragon Ball" is some wild bullshit when you consider how many episodes are being allowed to be finished before the broadcast of the series commences. Daima has episodes finished in the double digits, whereas Dragon Ball Super had, like, four episodes finished before Episode #1 air (Ajay can correct me if I'm misremembering).

Like, seriously, you don't get a series with a ton of skilled animators asked to work on it, and said animators given decent production time to work on their assigned shots for the series, if you don't care about the series.
She/Her

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:06 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:20 pm .

You deadass think they don't about one of their biggest international IPs?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:34 pm
super michael wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:20 pm The anime comes out in 4 months, yet we don't know anything about this anime other than everyone turned into kids with the exception of Goten and Trunks who turned into babies. If Toei has complete control of this anime, then I don't expect good results from it.

Toei Animation is not in control of the marketing for Dragon Ball Daima, actually. Shueisha is.

"Toei Animation doesn't care about Dragon Ball" is some wild bullshit when you consider how many episodes are being allowed to be finished before the broadcast of the series commences. Daima has episodes finished in the double digits, whereas Dragon Ball Super had, like, four episodes finished before Episode #1 air (Ajay can correct me if I'm misremembering).

Like, seriously, you don't get a series with a ton of skilled animators asked to work on it, and said animators given decent production time to work on their assigned shots for the series, if you don't care about the series.
The biggest irony, forgive if I am using the word wrong, is that michael thinks the treatment Daima got is awful and indicative of Toei NOT CARING ABOUT DRAGON BALL... so I can only assume he yearns for the flashy, exciting life of... Super. The cash in cheap ass anime with no care or thought about it, to him THAT was "Caring about Dragon Ball" not spending months or even years into making the scripts and animation is doing for Daima. Yeah. No

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:13 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:34 pm

So Toei are not the ones doing the marketing instead it is Shueisha.

Looks like they are not rushing Dragon Ball Daima and they getting many episode ready become Dragon Ball Daima even comes out, which is a good sign. You are right if they didn't care, then they would leave everything near the last minute or do what they did in DBS.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:26 pm The biggest irony, forgive if I am using the word wrong, is that michael thinks the treatment Daima got is awful and indicative of Toei NOT CARING ABOUT DRAGON BALL... so I can only assume he yearns for the flashy, exciting life of... Super. The cash in cheap ass anime with no care or thought about it, to him THAT was "Caring about Dragon Ball" not spending months or even years into making the scripts and animation is doing for Daima. Yeah. No
I am not a fan of DBS, lets make that clear. I don't want Dragon Ball Daima to be anything like DBS or DBS Super Hero movies.
I have said what was wrong with DBS and DBS Super Heroes, so there is no need to repeat it again.

If Daima is taking their time to make their script and animation, then that is a good thing. Rushing is never the solution.