"Rumor Guide" - New Topics

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:52 pm

I think I remember coming across a site where they had a screen shot with the subs saying Zorn.

Here's one I've come across while surfing WinMX. Some people have Hikari No Tabi as the 'Bulma and Vegeta love song'

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:20 am

I got another topic for the rumor guide!

This one is pretty old, although I'm unsure how many people are aware of it. In a DBZ book I bought 4 years ago, they said "It's highly speculated that DBGT was created solely to promote the DB Final Bout game, that was released at the same time"

I hve no clue if this is actually a strong enough rumor (or if it's the truth), but something to think about.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:45 am

Actually, that one is pretty much true. Final Bout was to be released in 1995 and Bandai wanted there to still be a DB series on to keep interest alive. The other reason being that TOEI was pretty convinced that they could still milk the series more, even if Toriyama had quit. I guess they kind of thought wrong about that, since we all know what happened.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:29 pm

The Final Bout this is good... might require a little bit of research; not sure where to start...

Does anyone have anything else to contribute? I'd love to add some new stuff to it. How about any silly dub things we've forgotten? Seasons 1 + 2 were absolutely amazing for this kinda stuff.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:39 pm

If it helps any, I'll give you the direct quotes from the magazine.

"What would happen to GT? Well, the show began to take the Dragon Ball route of heavy fighting, and the fans slowly took notice. But the effort was too little, too late. The show was originally going to end around April 1997, but the DB Final Bout Playstation game had not yet been released, so the producers were forced the extend the show a bit.

Speculation swirled that the only reason for the creation of GT was to fuel interest in the Dragon Ball: Final Bout video game, which was released almost in conjunction with GT"

The article was taken from "Pojo's Unofficial Total Dragonball Z" guide, written by Andrew Gerhardt and Andy Diehl. However, in the same article they make several mistakes (Both story, spelling, and grammatical), so it's all highly speculation. They even mention the "Toriyama hated GT" rumor that you were considering adding.

"Around Spring of 1996, Akira Toriyama joked about bringing back DBZ if DB GT didn't pick up the pace. Many fans who hated the current show took him seriously and were extremly happy that DB GT may be ending soon. Of course they soon learned that Toriyama wasn't seriously considering the move, and GT continued."

As for dub mistakes, there has to be hundreds in DBZ alone, I don't even want to speculate about the original DB, but I can think of a few off the top of my head.

Planet Vegeta: I'm not 100% sure of this anymore, since it has been awhile since I've watched those episodes, but I seem to remember Raditz telling Goku in the dub that their home world had been destroyed 12 years ago, when in fact it was more like 20.

Movie 7:
Near the end of the episode, Goku has formed a Genki Dama and then transforms into a SSJ. At this point Kuririn makes a remark that Goku can't use that technique as a SSJ because he needs a pure heart, but then Goku absorbed the energy instead. Well in the dub they got it confused, having Kuririn say "He transformed, that means he's pure, even as a Super Saiyan". Which of course, is untrue.

Vegeta in Piccolo's Way:
This one confused the hell out of me until I watched the episode in Japanese. Piccolo attacks android #20 to reach Goku, and is shot through the chest, and falls to the ground. After Vegeta kicks Android #19 off Goku, Piccolo opens his eyes and reveals that he was only pretending to be hurt. However, in the dub Piccolo claims that "I wanted to help Goku, and then Boom, Vegeta got in my way!" I mean, I know Vegeta is fast now, but not so fast that he could come between them and then leave without being seen.

Cell's DNA:
When talking to Piccolo, Cell explains his story over a flash back sequence of the Saiyan battle. Most of this footage in un-narrated, so Funimation added Cell claiming that he had the DNA of Nappa, Yamcha, Kuririn, Chaozu, and Gohan. When infact he only has the DNA of Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, King Cold, Piccolo, and Tenshinhan (if you go by the anime filler).

Bardock's Telepathy:
To me, this one is as ridiculous as Bardock being a "Brilliant Scientist". At one point in the dub, Bardock supposedly read Freeza's mind, learning of his intentions to destroy planet Vegeta. They added this line over a video sequence when Bardock's and Freeza's faces overlap in a fade effect, which is supposed to be un-narrated. Bardock was only able to see the future through random visions, and was not telepathic.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:11 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Movie 7:
Near the end of the episode, Goku has formed a Genki Dama and then transforms into a SSJ. At this point Kuririn makes a remark that Goku can't use that technique as a SSJ because he needs a pure heart, but then Goku absorbed the energy instead. Well in the dub they got it confused, having Kuririn say "He transformed, that means he's pure, even as a Super Saiyan". Which of course, is untrue.
Yes, I remember this... Why the hell did they change that anyway?
Deus ex Machina wrote:Vegeta in Piccolo's Way:
This one confused the hell out of me until I watched the episode in Japanese. Piccolo attacks android #20 to reach Goku, and is shot through the chest, and falls to the ground. After Vegeta kicks Android #19 off Goku, Piccolo opens his eyes and reveals that he was only pretending to be hurt. However, in the dub Piccolo claims that "I wanted to help Goku, and then Boom, Vegeta got in my way!" I mean, I know Vegeta is fast now, but not so fast that he could come between them and then leave without being seen.
But that makes no sense though. Why would Piccolo pretend to be hurt? Hell, other than Vegeta, who there could have even knocked him away?
Deus ex Machina wrote:Cell's DNA:
When talking to Piccolo, Cell explains his story over a flash back sequence of the Saiyan battle. Most of this footage in un-narrated, so Funimation added Cell claiming that he had the DNA of Nappa, Yamcha, Kuririn, Chaozu, and Gohan. When infact he only has the DNA of Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, King Cold, Piccolo, and Tenshinhan (if you go by the anime filler).
This one is all highly debatable. IIRC It's never really stated anywhere exactly WHO's DNA he has or dosen't have. It says that everyone's DNA from the 22nd Budokai on was collected, so Raditz could be in there, and even Tao.
Deus ex Machina wrote:Bardock's Telepathy:
To me, this one is as ridiculous as Bardock being a "Brilliant Scientist". At one point in the dub, Bardock supposedly read Freeza's mind, learning of his intentions to destroy planet Vegeta. They added this line over a video sequence when Bardock's and Freeza's faces overlap in a fade effect, which is supposed to be un-narrated. Bardock was only able to see the future through random visions, and was not telepathic.
Telepathy seems to be a general ability of anyone with KI control. But I didn't take that as him reading Freeza's mind. More of a him fully realizing what was happening and that he wasn't just seeing things.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:28 pm

This one is all highly debatable. IIRC It's never really stated anywhere exactly WHO's DNA he has or dosen't have. It says that everyone's DNA from the 22nd Budokai on was collected, so Raditz could be in there, and even Tao.
Dr. Gero said only that the spy robot had only begun observing Goku's battles at this point, it didn't say that he had been collecting cells yet. Infact it's heavily implied that a lot of the DNA had been gathered directly from the Saiyan battle, because Cell's Kamehameha was supposedly the same as Goku's from that battle. (Perhaps he had improved his technique, as well as power). While it's a possibility that the other minor Z senshi could've been included, it never said they were, so it was extremly presumptious of Funimation.
Telepathy seems to be a general ability of anyone with KI control. But I didn't take that as him reading Freeza's mind. More of a him fully realizing what was happening and that he wasn't just seeing things.
I don't think that's so; while many of the Z fighters have the ability to tell if a person is evil or not by reading their Ki, this doesn't give them the ability to read minds. Bardock cannot read minds after he was given the power of visions on Kanassa, and yet he says "I can see it now! I can see clearly into his mind, it's as clear as day!"

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:28 pm

Only Goku, Kami and Piccolo are telepathic (out of the Z crew). Since Saichoru is also telepathic, maybe it's a Namekkian trait that Goku learned subconsciously from his training w/Kami, and it only surfaced during the Namek saga.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SSJHitch
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJHitch » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:44 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Vegeta in Piccolo's Way:
Surely Piccolo means that his plan to help Goku was interuptted when Vegeta arrived and kicked #19. So as such Vegeta "got in Piccolo's way"
Treading the thin line between insanity and genius

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:48 pm

SSJHitch wrote:Surely Piccolo means that his plan to help Goku was interuptted when Vegeta arrived and kicked #19. So as such Vegeta "got in Piccolo's way"
Nope. After Piccolo explains what happened (In the dub) Gohan asks him "So it wasn't really the Android?" (Who shot him) to which Piccolo replies "The Android DID get a shot in, but only after Vegeta interfered".

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:00 pm

First, I don't think Goku knows telepathy. I don't really recall him reading minds or talking to anyone through his head; he always does so with the help of Kaiou or someone else. Wait, he does talk to Kid Trunks in the Buu saga... In fact, about all of Goku's telepathic messages took place in the Buu saga... when he was dead... maybe he needs to be dead to know telepathy? But then in the Cell Saga he still needed Kaiou's help... AGH! My head hurts! Seeing as how that's a pretty fluctuating thing in the series, I think I can safely say it was just Toriyama messing around. There's no logic in it anywhere, so I think it's safe to say telepathy was never really thought through.

And also, I believe the dub even states Planet Vegeta was destroyed three years ago!

This also makes me quote Bardock's little line when he gets his visions: ''My son! He sees it too!'' Uh huh. Yeah.

The Piccolo thing used to make sense to me, but thanks to you people, not anymore. Maybe he felt Vegeta's energy or something?
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:03 pm

Dai wrote:And also, I believe the dub even states Planet Vegeta was destroyed three years ago!
They eventually corrected that. During season 3, Frieza said he destoyed the planet Vegeta over 20 years ago.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:41 pm

Dai wrote:First, I don't think Goku knows telepathy. I don't really recall him reading minds or talking to anyone through his head; he always does so with the help of Kaiou or someone else. Wait, he does talk to Kid Trunks in the Buu saga... In fact, about all of Goku's telepathic messages took place in the Buu saga... when he was dead... maybe he needs to be dead to know telepathy? But then in the Cell Saga he still needed Kaiou's help...
He first experienced a "telepathic twitch" when Kamesennin died in the Piccolo storyline. I believe there are no others until the Namek saga when he touches Krillin's head and randomly knows EVERYTHING that happened since Krillin's arrival on Namek. Later, he interrups the Kaio+Kami telepathic conversation even though he's not on Earth nor is he on Kaio's planet. In the Cell saga he again knew EVERYTHING that happened when he was asleep, claiming he saw the events in his sleep.

The ONLY example that fits your his being dead theory wasn't his being telepathic, it was just him taking advantage of Babidi's magic (he fought Boo when Babidi was doing that whole "close your eyes to see us!" bit).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:30 am

I may be crazy and remembering shit that didn`t happen, but, either only in the dub or only in filler, wasn`t there some stuff about Vegeta being telepathic, too? I kind of remember an English line where he was talking to Gokuu and said something about using their "Saiyan telepathy" for some reason (I`m thinking Buu saga), as if suddenly all Saiyans are telepathic. So, uh, I guess that could be a dub inconsistency (or if it was in the original, something added in randomly by filler episodes). Or maybe none of this ever happened and I just don`t know what I`m talking about (a strong possibility ^_^ ;; )
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

SSJHitch
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJHitch » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:17 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:
SSJHitch wrote:Surely Piccolo means that his plan to help Goku was interuptted when Vegeta arrived and kicked #19. So as such Vegeta "got in Piccolo's way"
Nope. After Piccolo explains what happened (In the dub) Gohan asks him "So it wasn't really the Android?" (Who shot him) to which Piccolo replies "The Android DID get a shot in, but only after Vegeta interfered".
Yeah then that's definatly a mistake. I must've misread what you were meaning there.
Treading the thin line between insanity and genius

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:43 pm

sailorspazz wrote:I may be crazy and remembering shit that didn`t happen, but, either only in the dub or only in filler, wasn`t there some stuff about Vegeta being telepathic, too? I kind of remember an English line where he was talking to Gokuu and said something about using their "Saiyan telepathy" for some reason (I`m thinking Buu saga), as if suddenly all Saiyans are telepathic. So, uh, I guess that could be a dub inconsistency (or if it was in the original, something added in randomly by filler episodes). Or maybe none of this ever happened and I just don`t know what I`m talking about (a strong possibility ^_^ ;; )
I think you must have imagined that; the closest thing I could think of is the time Shin reads Vegeta's mind, but that's about it.

I also remembered a small dub error back at the end of the Freeza saga. Upon Chaozu's revival the narrator says:

"The first wish was used to bring back the young Emperor Chaotizu"

Not only is Chaozu not young (He's atleast as old as Goku, and probably older) but he's not an emperor! That was a strange story change from the Mystical Adventure movie, and didn't fit into the real story continuity.

Miztic Gohan

Post by Miztic Gohan » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:15 am

Hi. As you can tell I am new to the boards. Strangely enough I was looking for a desktop wallpaper when I came across the site. The site took me to the rumor section. The section reminded me of a rumor that I had picked up so I checked to see if the rumor was on the page. When I saw that it wasn't, I checked where to submit the rumor and I signed up for the boards. I picked the rumor up on GameFaqs (which to them it isn't a rumor but a fact) that involves Fat Buu and Kid Buu. I don't know if you guys feel the same way about this or if you guys already know about it but I will put it here just in case.

Rumor: Fat Buu is stronger than Kid Buu.

The information supporting Fat Buu being stronger than Kid Buu is the fact that Kid Buu absorbed South Kaioshin. Since South Kaioshin was the strongest Kaioshin, it made Kid Buu much stronger when he absorbed South Kaioshin. Next Kid Buu absorbed Dai Kaioshin. Dai Kaioshin was stated to have made him weaker resulting in the form of Fat Buu. Dai Kaioshin is still a Kaioshin which means that South Kaioshin is stronger than Dai Kaioshin. Dai Kaioshin was stated to be the only one that had made Kid Buu weaker which proves that South Kaioshin had to have had an effect on Kid Buu which meant that South Kaioshin had to make Kid Buu stronger. If Dai Kaioshin is weaker than South Kaioshin and Kid Buu got stronger after absorbing South Kaioshin yet weaker after absorbing Dai Kaioshin, that would mean that Dai Kaioshin making Buff Buu weaker wasn't enough to negate the powerup South Kaioshin gave Kid Buu thus making Fat Buu stronger than Kid Buu.

That is the main information that people who support Fat Buu being stronger than Kid Buu uses. Another bit of info is this...

When Goku squared off against Fat Buu when he was dead Goku said that he was unsure if he would have been able to defeat Fat Buu even after going Super Saiya-jin 3. When Goku went up against Kid Buu Goku stated that he could easily defeat Kid Buu if he could reach Full Power Super Saiya-jin 3. So against Fat Buu, he is unsure but against Kid Buu, he is positive.

They have some other little details to go along with it but those are the main ones. I apologize if you guys already know this.
"Fight you? No. I am going to kill you." ~Mystic Gohan

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:11 pm

Hi Miztic Gohan, it's nice to see you trying to contribute right off the bat. 8) However, I've never heard the rumor of Fat Boo being stronger than Kid Boo, since their's tons of evidence to the contrary that if someone actuallly believed that here, they'd be set straight.

But now that you've brought up the issues of Boo, I think the Super Boo being stronger than Kid Boo issue would make a good topic for the rumor guide...except a great deal of people still believe it. :roll:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:22 pm

I don't care so much for putting "So-and-so is stronger than so-and-so" in the guide; it's really not so much "cold, hard facts!" as it is just fan speculation, talking, debating, etc. Besides, any character can beat any other character if they just catch them off-guard.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though~.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Miztic Gohan

Post by Miztic Gohan » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:04 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Hi Miztic Gohan, it's nice to see you trying to contribute right off the bat. 8) However, I've never heard the rumor of Fat Boo being stronger than Kid Boo, since their's tons of evidence to the contrary that if someone actuallly believed that here, they'd be set straight.

But now that you've brought up the issues of Boo, I think the Super Boo being stronger than Kid Boo issue would make a good topic for the rumor guide...except a great deal of people still believe it. :roll:
I have only seen the rumor on the GameFaqs DragonBall message boards. You can find it easily there.

Sorry about that Vegetto. I didn't know you didn't take those kind of rumors. I agree that there aren't any cold hard facts and it is just speculation and I told them that myself but they stuck with that information that I gave. The weird part is that nearly everyone on those game boards believe it. GameFaqs is pretty popular so it is quite weird that so many people believe it.

I had some other rumors but I have blanked out.
"Fight you? No. I am going to kill you." ~Mystic Gohan