Sup, I was recently re-watching the original Ocean Dub of Dragon Ball Z, and noticed an interesting censorship discrepancy that I don't think anyone noticed.
Turns out that the episode 3 recap uses alternative clips that fit the timing and audio of the dub much better than the final broadcast, here ae comparison videos.
https://youtu.be/H1v5WEASbZM
https://youtu.be/y04fB19kjWI
My theory is that it's possible these scenes were in the actual workprint sent to Ocean for recording, but were swapped out due to concerns from Saban, especially Gohan's scene.
Has anyone ever noticed any other discrepancies in the 1996 dub? I also remember others like comped audio clips for Ian Corlett retakes on episodes 1-4, as well as insert cuts for the next dimension lines in later episodes, especially Vegeta's "I want them all in the next dimension!" but I'd have to look more into it, I do remember these discrepancies are mainly on season 1.
Love to hear you thoughts!
Ocean Dub Episode 3 Anomaly
- AlexSketchy04
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:02 pm
- Location: Texas
- Contact:
-
Dragon Ball Ireland
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 5089
- Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
- Location: Sligo, Ireland
- Contact:
Re: Ocean Dub Episode 3 Anomaly
There was that one scene where Don Brown seemingly played Vegeta. Maybe because they needed the line recorded quickly and for whatever reason Brian Drummond was unavailable.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula will be writing 
Check out my website https://www.dragonballinternational.com/
Check out my website https://www.dragonballinternational.com/
- AlexSketchy04
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:02 pm
- Location: Texas
- Contact:
Re: Ocean Dub Episode 3 Anomaly
Sounds more like Paul Dobson for me, I do remember hearing small grunts and lines from Yamcha being done by CorlettDragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2026 1:03 am There was that one scene where Don Brown seemingly played Vegeta. Maybe because they needed the line recorded quickly and for whatever reason Brian Drummond was unavailable.
Re: Ocean Dub Episode 3 Anomaly
Don’t know if it counts but in the original broadcast of Arrival of Raditz, Chi Chi says “I’m going to worry myself to death” after Goku leaves to find Gohan, which is what the Funi in-house redub used. Later re-airings, because Saban took issue with all the references to death in the Raditz episodes, had her say “All this worrying is going to give me wrinkles” which is what she said in Gohan’s Metamorphosis after washing/breaking the dishes. It seems like Funimation actually looped those exact lines into the first episode instead of the actress recording new dialog.
Even weirder later on Saban seemed okay with saying die or death as long as it was an expression and not an acknowledgement of someone’s end or a threat. Bulma would later say something like “if we crash and die I’m going to be very upset” so Chi Chi’s original line should have been fine.
Even weirder later on Saban seemed okay with saying die or death as long as it was an expression and not an acknowledgement of someone’s end or a threat. Bulma would later say something like “if we crash and die I’m going to be very upset” so Chi Chi’s original line should have been fine.
- SuperSaiyaManZ94
- I Live Here
- Posts: 2782
- Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
- Location: Alabama, USA
Re: Ocean Dub Episode 3 Anomaly
The most notable is when Roshi says “This isn’t good, i smell death in the air.” as Raditz descends after reaching their position on the early airings before it was soon edited to stop at the “This isn’t good” part of the line with the death reference omitted.
DB collection related goals as of now:
1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)
2.) Collect rest of manga
3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)
1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)
2.) Collect rest of manga
3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)
