Playdia Footage to possibly see DVD release in Spain!?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Playdia Footage to possibly see DVD release in Spain!?

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:40 am

According to a Spanish blog, it looks like Selecta Vision is currently in talks with Toei to release the Playdia footage on DVD in Spain! According to the site they are currently undergoing negotiations so that the release will be ready by the time they are done re-releasing the uncut original Dragonball, the movies and the specials. This release will take extra time due to the fact that it will need to be dubbed for the first time in Castilian Spanish and possibly Catalan!

Here's the link:

http://ramenparados.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... espaa.html

I think this is pretty damn exciting! Looks like we'll finally get an accessible version of this animation!

Thoughts?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:19 am

If this does happen, as long as it's got the original Japanese audio, I'm importing for sure.

Between this and the Dbox single of DB movie 1, I can't wait to throw my money away.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:15 pm

Talk about awesome. If this does happen, I'll import it like the Captain. Anime in the next few months is going to bankrupt me.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Didn't I see somewhere that this was released in France on VHS?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:16 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:Didn't I see somewhere that this was released in France on VHS?
Was it really? Interesting...

Oh and Captain Awesome, it will have the Japanese track for sure. All of their redone releases have been uncut, used the DragonBox masters and have included the Japanese track.

SSj Gogito
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSj Gogito » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:24 pm

If thats all true SonGokuGT this is a definate import for me
Where's The Beef

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:46 pm

Bah... the PAL would pry get to me, unless I tried to change it myself. I'm sure there're guides for it... maybe I will end up importing these. It's not too hard to author subs, because I figure there would already be a timecode for Spanish ones.
The problem is dual-layer DVDs, my computer doesn't burn those well @_@
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:32 am

bkev wrote:Bah... the PAL would pry get to me, unless I tried to change it myself. I'm sure there're guides for it... maybe I will end up importing these. It's not too hard to author subs, because I figure there would already be a timecode for Spanish ones.
The problem is dual-layer DVDs, my computer doesn't burn those well @_@
You can always use DVDShrink and make it single layer.
The world is your's.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:45 am

It's not very hard to convert PAL to NTSC, but I don't suggest you do it. There will definitely be some loss of quality. And please, never use DVDShrink... it's just ass. And it makes sweet baby Jesus cry. If you seriously need to know how to bring a DVD9 down to DVD5, send me a PM and I'll point you to the right place. Just don't use DVDShrink.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:59 am

OFF TOPIC: Interesting, I'd be interested in knowing the steps to subtitling my own DVDs if anyone can recommend some literature...

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:16 pm

I've got subtitles for this if/when anybody needs them. I just took the ones floating around online, cleaned up the timings a bit, and fixed the English.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:31 pm

I don't want to destroy anyones hopes, but I'm spanish, and that site justs talks about the supposed OVAs...

so it's not the footage from the Playdia games, just what already came from Dragon Box as OVAs

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:46 pm

If this does go through than this is will be the first time that the "OVA" will get an individual DVDrelease! But seeing that it is in a different language and encoded for a different region I see no difference between this release and the Dragonbox release besides the major price difference.

The thing that I'm hoping for is that this footage will be remastered (by the Dragonbox masters). I know that Selecta Vision is always saying that they are using the Dragonbox masters, but do they mean that they are just using their work or that they are actually hiring them to do more remastering? Because I know that when the Dragonbox masters released this "OVA" in the second Dragonbox they did not remaster it.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:44 pm

Darknat: I'm Spanish as well, and they do mean the Playdia footage as that's the only "OVA" released, so to speak. The footage from the games were released on VHS in Japan and from what I heard France as well. They were also included in the DragonBox Z Vol. 2 as well.

So then, SSj_Rambo... These were left untouched by the Pony Canyon remastering process in DragonBox Z Vol. 2!? Does anyone have screencaps of the footage to check out the quality?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:12 pm

Something that needs to be pointed out is that in many countries (or at least a few), the DB & DBZ movies were flat-out called "OVAs" for their respective release... which is quite accurate, since in those countries, they were released straight to home video.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:44 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:So then, SSj_Rambo... These were left untouched by the Pony Canyon remastering process in DragonBox Z Vol. 2!? Does anyone have screencaps of the footage to check out the quality?
The only other screenshots you could compare the Dragonbox screenshots to would be shots from the VHS release after it was transferred to DVD, which would give you a loss of quality from the start.

I'm not an expert on the Dragonboxs, especially since I don't even have one, so if you want the full story on this matter either Herms or Hujio could probably explain it best.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:23 am

SonGokuGT wrote:Darknat: I'm Spanish as well, and they do mean the Playdia footage as that's the only "OVA" released, so to speak. The footage from the games were released on VHS in Japan and from what I heard France as well. They were also included in the DragonBox Z Vol. 2 as well.

So then, SSj_Rambo... These were left untouched by the Pony Canyon remastering process in DragonBox Z Vol. 2!? Does anyone have screencaps of the footage to check out the quality?
It's not the same. The ones that got released early in the 90s in VHS were the ones that the japanese got in the Dragonbox.

The playdia footage took the footage from the vhs, added new music, and new scenes.

What that blog says is that they are gonna release the "OVA" based on the playdia. Even though it's the other way around, the playdia games were based on the OVA and the NES game.