Ocean Group on Youtube

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Ocean Group on Youtube

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:51 pm

So recently I was browsing Youtube for Dragonball clips with the Ocean dub.
What I found were clips of the Ocean dub begin to end of Dragonball Z. So the question is: Can one buy every Dragonball Z episode with Ocean dub on it, and where can I get them?
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Group on Youtube

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:54 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Re: Ocean Group on Youtube

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:03 pm

It's always nice to hear Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, and Ted Cole doing Piccolo, Vegeta, and Yamucha again. :wink:
Brian Drummond is amazing!!! Even during the Kid Buu stuff I wasn't too sure about him, I think Chris Sabat did a good job on these episodes. He won me over little by little. His script sucked, but his acting really shinned threw!

But there are episodes beyond that of which was released in North America.
Did the Ocean Group move to another country? I believe I heard
Vegetto EX saying on his podcast that they move to the UK. Could I possibly get more Ocean Dub episodes on a UK site?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32St5PYjkpY

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:22 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Smindas

Post by Smindas » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:12 am

I think in the UK we got a mix of different dubs, it was all very confusing. Since I was fairly young when I first started watching DBZ, I have no clue which dub was which (if you get me), but I seem to recall a significant change of voices around the Namek / Frieza saga that always irked me a tad. I believe the dubs were switched around a couple of times though, it was very confusing. Youtubing things now, I'm fairly confident we had the Ocean dub most the time, and I definitely prefer the voices.

I also remember a friend showing me an episode of that hilarious Megaman cartoon and instantly recognising the music from the DBZ I was most familiar with.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:18 pm

I think it's best that we remember not to take out our dislikings on voice actors personally. Sabat, Drummond, or even the goll dang salvation army, we as fans should not be seperated by our taste in voice actors, but united by our love for the characters.

Then again, the voice is half the charm...right?

I honestly don't think people give Sabat a fair shake, nor do I think they properly appreciate what he has contributed to--at the very least--fandom interest in areas of the franchise, which area not totally being important. I mean to say, I love the English cast, I've been conditioned to them as Japanese fans have been to the Japanese cast. Fans create needless competition between themselves but this is evident in any fandom (Death Note, Naruto, etc. Notice how those are the one's with awesome dubs and yet the JPN version fans all have sticks stuck up their collective nose).

Japanese version fans have it pretty dang good in comparison to FUNi cast fans. I certainly don't like hearing horrid dialogue or rushed acting coming from the voice actors I am so partial [to]. Half of [our] language track is uneven, at the very least the JPN track has more consistant acting, but in lieu of becoming a whiner, I'll stop.

What the goop was this topic about originally?

EDIT: Fixed spelling errors.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19 am

I don't think it is that we hate the voice actors. It is that we like Drummond or Nozawa better than Sabat, he is still ok.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:31 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Notice how I never really disagreed about the level of performance put in nor did I specify my message at any one person in particular. :wink:

How many of his non-Dragonball roles have you seen? :shock: Sure he's not a professional actor, espicially compared to the stage and screen actors FUNi's got to work with, but he's really come into his own, at least he makes a dang fine Roronoa Zoro and Kuwabara.

But I may just be insane. Completely so. Look where I took this topic. O.o
She/Her
bisexual milf

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:12 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Notice how I never really disagreed about the level of performance put in nor did I specify my message at any one person in particular. :wink:

How many of his non-Dragonball roles have you seen? :shock: Sure he's not a professional actor, espicially compared to the stage and screen actors FUNi's got to work with, but he's really come into his own, at least he makes a dang fine Roronoa Zoro and Kuwabara.

But I may just be insane. Completely so. Look where I took this topic. O.o
Remember! Funimation makes really good dubs, except for Dragonball related things...sadly!

Sabat did a much better job then that guy from 4-kids. Kuwabara's voice was ok.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:50 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:19 pm

First of all, what is with the vulgarity? You're in your twenties or something, yes? There's no need for such vulgarity. It's fine you don't like his acting but the fact that you cannot avoid using vulgarity is not conducive to your arguement and makes others more skepticle.

I'm darn sorry I even brought it up in the first place after that onslaught, to be honest.

Personally, I like the work Cook and Sabat did forming Kuwabara, I knew that by the time Kuwabara's character arc peaks in the Chapter Black arc and the emotional performance he gave was enough to stir me up, emotionally. Far be it from me to compare Sabtat to Mayumi Tanaka but the only other time I've ever gotten such chills is when Luffy roared "Never again!" in the Japanese version of episode 309 of One Piece.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Can say he has quite a sense of humor though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68nSBrRGG0

Kunzait, you come across as macho so don't know if you'd enjoy FB, but give it a chance as the English cast is great there.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:43 pm

Ok, Kunzait. Just chill dude. It is all good.
Everyone is intitled to their opinions. Plus, we should just be having fun :P

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:Ok, Kunzait. Just chill dude. It is all good.
Everyone is intitled to their opinions. Plus, we should just be having fun :P
As far as I can tell, everyone has been chill.

A long explanation with back-up evidence and specific examples does not inherently mean "upset".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:19 pm

Oh, it just seemed Yuugi was affended. My bad.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:16 pm

There's a difference between attacking an opinion and attacking an opinion holder. From what I read, Kunzait expressed an opinion that happened to be contrary to some of what was earlier expressed. But it wasn't directed at those posters and was just his opinion.

And do we really care about cursing here? "Chris Sabat's Vegeta is too forced." "Chris Sabat's Vegeta is too fucking forced." For the BSG people, "Chris Sabat's Vegeta is too fracking forced." For the 'Scapers, "Chris Sabat's Vegeta is too frelling forced." For anyone used to watching rated R material on TNT, "Chris Sabat's Vegeta is too fruiting/freaking forced."

I don't think it really matters. One shouldn't abuse such language at work or around kids or in front of their grand parents. But if you can't swear in front of friends while discussing cartoons and comics, then damnit who can you swear in front of?
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:First of all, what is with the vulgarity? You're in your twenties or something, yes? There's no need for such vulgarity. It's fine you don't like his acting but the fact that you cannot avoid using vulgarity is not conducive to your arguement and makes others more skepticle.
With all the politeness I can humanly muster, please… don’t do that. Don’t slap my wrist over my use of salty language as if this is kindergarten we’re in here. I went to Catholic school for 9 years and had to put up with having my every mannerism and facial tic scrutinized and commented on throughout each and every minute of each and every day of it. It’s been a long, loooong time since those days, and I have no desire to be reminded of them… least of all by random users here on Daizex of all places.

We’re all (or at least most of us) adults here. I conveyed my thoughts, viewpoints and opinions in a clear and lucid manner, and I never said anything rude, insulting, or disrespectful towards you or any other users here. If I so choose to pepper my thought out, carefully written post with some adult language here and there, well then that’s my motherfucking prerogative. They’re just words. They’re not gonna bite you. They have absolutely no effect one way or the other on the validity of my ideas and opinions, and they only have as much of a negative connotation in my use of them as you or other people choose to see in them.

A much smarter man than I once put it best (and I'm paraphrasing horribly); “Words in and of themselves are harmless. It’s the INTENT and the CONTEXT behind words that make them harmful or otherwise.”

In other words, the intent of my use of cuss words throughout my post was purely for emphasis and a touch of humor rather than to offend or insult anyone. The thoughts and viewpoints still shine through clear as day for others to see. If you (or anyone else for that matter) become fixated on the curse words themselves, then all you're really doing is revealing your own personal hang-ups.

So with that said:

Shit, tits, cum, ass, bastard, bitch, cock, smegma, fuck, pussy, nutsack, cunt, Barbara Streisand. :P
JulieYBM wrote:I'm darn sorry I even brought it up in the first place after that onslaught, to be honest.
So… you’re sorry because you had to read me express my opinion on something for a few paragraphs? :?

It wasn’t an “onslaught” (or it certainly wasn’t intended as such). None of it was intended to insult you, or make your opinion seem somehow less valid than mine (which of course it most certainly isn’t). All I really did was explain why I hold a different opinion than you. In a great amount more detail than most people normally do perhaps, but that just comes from me being a fast typer.

As Mike noted earlier, me going into nuance about something doesn’t inherently translate to “upset” or “wigging out”, unless you’re again reading too deeply into my use of curse words. For the record, you’re the first person on Daizex to ever single out that aspect of my posts, and I’ve written FAR more profanity laced posts than the one above over a very long period of time now.
Super Sonic wrote:Kunzait, you come across as macho so don't know if you'd enjoy FB, but give it a chance as the English cast is great there.
I’m the same guy whose sounded off at length, both above and in numerous other threads, about how the macho-ness of the DBZ dub is one of my biggest turn-offs to it. How does that in effect make me be the one who “comes across as macho”? Because I cursed a lot? Again, see above.

For the record, my favorite anime of all time is one of the Urusei Yatsura movies, just so you get an indication of where some of my tastes run in such matters. Judging the personality of someone you hardly know based on superficial details = unwise.
Blame the Sparking METEOR but I'm not in the mood to blow this up into a huge fued-esque situation. The internet's a pain in the neck and I tend to associate larger then one might think needed 'vulgarity' with a more 'passionate' if you shall position. Frankly, I don't see [from] your view on the guy's acting but hey, it's nothing for people to breed grand amounts of distate for another person over. 8)

Now, to unlock Spopovich (however the heck you spell that)!!
She/Her
bisexual milf

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Smindas wrote:I think in the UK we got a mix of different dubs, it was all very confusing. Since I was fairly young when I first started watching DBZ, I have no clue which dub was which (if you get me), but I seem to recall a significant change of voices around the Namek / Freeza saga that always irked me a tad.
It does get confusing, because sometimes upon repeat it switched. The Toonami channel launched with the FUNi dub despite, the Ocean dub showing before it. It also gets REALLY confusing, because Ocean's second studio Blue Water started to take over from the end of Z through to GT and then DB. Then there is the Big Green movie/ specials dub :D

These aren't the only English dubs of DB so I have wondered if it's been the most redubbed anime ever :D
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk