Are they going to re-release DBGT Final Bout?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Are they going to re-release DBGT Final Bout?

Post by johnboy1 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:48 pm

I honestly think they should resurrect that darn thing (don't hurt me). I mean, think about it. The game, considering its obscurity, had a slightly off-beat fanbase. Now, anyone who wants the US edition in anything resembling good shape has to fork over $75.

My solution: Atari buys the rights to Final Bout from Ban Dai, and promises to give them a small percentage of the royalties. They re-release it with a NEW box cover so that they can tell it apart from the old one. Why? Because then it's not hard for collectors to prove they have one of the originals. This way:

The players get the new games.
The collectors get the old ones.
Atari (and FUNImation) get some cash on another "new" video game.
Ban Dai squeezes a few more bucks out of a game that didn't do that well.
VegettoEX gets to bitch about it.

You see? Everyone wins!

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing! They should enable that... uh... link-up build-up thingamadoodle with UB27!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:51 pm

It's "VegettoEX." Both letters are capitalized. And what would I bitch about? I'm kinda past that, now >.>

I actually popped the game in yesterday. Played it for a round. PlayStation crashed. I was thankful. :D
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:03 am

Sorry about the name thing, VegettoEX (yay, I got it right!). It's just that I seem to remember you saying something about hating that game with the depths of your soul (exaggeration).

Anyways, I know that, prior to Budokai 1, there were only three DB games released in the US: There was the infamous Final Bout, an SNES game called Dragon Power (which they could, once again, re-release on the GBA), and... good Lord I forgot it. Does anyone else here know what the third one is? Just think, they could release the three as the "DB Vintage Pack" :D !

EDIT: Also, what does the EX in your name stand for, sir? Just curious.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:10 am

Don't call me "sir," unless you're... I dunno... 14 years old, or something :P.

Final Bout is indeed an absolutely terrible game any way you look at it, but I'd hardly go as far as to say I hate it with the very depths of my soul. I love it in a horrible, horrible way.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:30 am

If it were re-released, I'd buy it. Legends, too. And they wouldn't need a new cover, just put it under the Greatest Hits label or something.

And Dragon Power was an NES game. I should know, I have it. What's funny is, they retained the Roshi sprite in the instruction manual.

And both Legacy of Goku and Collectable Card Game came out on GBA before Budokai. So your math's a little off.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:47 am

I bought Dragon Power during one of GameStop's "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sales. The guy at the counter didn't know it was a Dragon Ball game until I told him about it.

Final Bout is kinda fun if you want something simple and mindless, without too much depth. The moves are far too easy to pull off. Just make sure you turn off the option of the fireball tug-of-wars, because unless you have a rapid fire controller (which I took from a friend specifically for this game) the computer will pwn you every time.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:09 am

Muhahaha, I've finally purchased UB22 and Final Bout ^_^

And boy, are they funny. The manuals alone cracked me up. [Super Goku? Ginyu is "Genious"? Gotta love translations]

And I still think it's funny that in the USA FB is rare, while here the stores can't get rid of them anymore. ~_~
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:40 am

Wasnt Final Bout re-released into the UK like two years ago?

Regardless, I wanna see Legends get released into the US, that would be hot.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:44 am

Why is everyone so eager to see a game that sucks re-released? It would be one thing if we weren't getting the way-better Budokai games, plus the "Legend of Goku" Action-RPG's. The only thing cool about Final Bout is that you can play as Pan, 'cuz she's awesome, but that's not worth me picking up the game, especially since the whole thing looks pretty awful.

And, hey, if you're jonesing for old-school DBZ action, go grab Supersonic Warrioirs, I think it's easily the single best translation of DBZ to a fighting game. To be fair, tho, I don't care for the Tekken-esque controls of the Budokai games, so that influences me a little.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:15 am

It's so bad it's cool. Or something like that.

And ontopic: EB Games has a link for a upcoming re-release of DB Final Bout~

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245131.asp
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:56 am

Interesting... back in high school when I worked at Blockbuster, I found entries for all three PS1 games show up in the system one day for some kind of release in the US... but that never happened (OK, with the exception of UB22, which was MUCH later).

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:38 am

Sega Saturn has the best two DBZ games - Legends and Shin Butoden!

Course, Sega Saturn was THE SYSTEM for fighting games!

SS Kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by SS Kakarot » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:06 pm

I do wonder if it will have US voices, or if it will be the original Japanese version.... :?
My Cels:
http://sskakarot.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://cels.proboards33.com

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:55 pm

When I said that three games were released prior to Budokai, I thought Budokai was the first recent US game. Okay then. Before Legacy of Goku and The CCG, there were three translated Japanese games released: Final Bout, Dragon Power, and something else. Anyone know that last one?

Dragon Power was for the regular NES? Wow! I didn't know it went back that far! I wonder if it was brought to the US to go along with the elusive Harmony Gold DB dub?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:16 pm

Legendary Super Warriors maybe, the cool GBC Card RPG with cute sprites?

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:19 pm

If they do release Final Bout, I can only imagine it will be without localized voices, like UB22. The only reason for Atari to release an old PS1 DBZ game is to make a quick buck (once again much like UB22). How much could they reasonably charge for it since Budokai 1 & 2 are both $20 titles?
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:30 pm

I believe the order was

-Dragon Power (not advertised as a DB game)
-Final Bout (first release)
-L.O.G.
-DBZ CCG
-Budokai
-Legendary Super Warriors
-Ultimate Battle 22
-L.O.G. II
-Taiketsu
-Budokai 2
-Super Sonic Warriors

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure thats how the games were released in the US.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:32 pm

No, it was released long before even that. I think it was released in between DP and FB, but I'm not sure. Planet Namek said it in their Video Game section, but now that's gone, so I can't remember.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:46 pm

The DragonBall Z game for Sega Genesis was released into english, but only in Europe I think?

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:23 pm

I loved Final Bout when I rented it from Blockbuster. of course I was a rabid fangirl then and I palyed it like hell until I had to take it then. Then someone either stole it from the place or rented it and never returned it.

If it is a rerelease, I hope they'd put the Jpaanes versions of the Biggest Fight, Thank You, and those one or two other ending themes into it, that or have it be unlockable.

Maybe they'll make Meri happy by putting Gotenks and Pilaf in it. XP

EDIt: Gamestop.com still lists it in preowned for $149.99. I don't have a EBgames here.