Character Bashing thoughts...? (More fanfic stuff)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:35 am

PsyLiam wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Actually, there was one I half-read a few years back that concerned Gohan, who constructed a robot that looked and acted just like himself to "take over" while he took a "break" because the pressures were just getting to be too much for him... that was kinda neat...
Wasn't there a Superman story that was quite similar to that? (And by "quite similar", I mean "exactly the same".)
Well in the comics the big S DIED for a good year and 4 supermen took over: The Eradicator, a Teenage Clone, a black guy in a metal suit with an S as hommage to Superman, and Hank Henshaw: The Cyborg Superman who was only pretending to be Superman while he blew up Coast City.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:01 pm

No, not that. I'm thinking of an earlier story. One that was referenced in a Justice League episode.

"A robot!"

"I built mine to take over when I was away. Looks like this guy had the same idea."
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:46 am

Well in the comics the big S DIED for a good year and 4 supermen took over: The Eradicator, a Teenage Clone, a black guy in a metal suit with an S as hommage to Superman, and Hank Henshaw: The Cyborg Superman who was only pretending to be Superman while he blew up Coast City.
I died? XD
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:08 am

Dayspring wrote:Well in the comics the big S DIED for a good year and 4 supermen took over: The Eradicator, a Teenage Clone, a black guy in a metal suit with an S as hommage to Superman, and Hank Henshaw: The Cyborg Superman who was only pretending to be Superman while he blew up Coast City.
Wasn't the Eradicator the real Superman? Or am I wrong?

Also... back on topic? :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:11 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:Wasn't the Eradicator the real Superman? Or am I wrong?

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think the Eradicator was the real Superman, he was too violent. If I remember correctly the real Superman showed up a little while later with long hair and a new black jump suit with a silver "S"

On topic..uh...ya...Yamcha is a pedophile and Bulma's a slut. :shock:

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:44 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Bulma's a slut. :shock:
As evidenced by your avatar. It's undeniable now!

koden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by koden » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:45 am

I never bash any of the DB characters, I pretty much like 'em all, but I just don't get why Yamcha in particular is made out to be a scumbag, rapist, abusive jerk, etc. W.T.H. He's nothing like that. :?
And I am proud to say that I am quite fond of the highly-underrated fellow. : )

I don't really have an opinion on Pan or Marron. I haven't seen Marron at all in GT, and Pan... well, I've only seen her in the FUNi GT dub, and her voice makes it hard for me to like her. =\
That may change if I ever hear her Jap. voice, though. It has to be better, it just has to be.

In conclusion, I think character bashing sucks, and I like to kill those who do it.
And I just read that "how to make a really bad DBZ fanfic".
Funny shit. :lol:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:27 am

Her voice in the Japanese is done by Videl's VA, Yuko Minaguchi. Her voice is really nice one. She also did Sailor Saturn in Sailor Moon.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:46 am

Ah, character bashing. For me, I think character bashing is fine in the context of comedy, but when done in serious fanfics it just seems a bit, well, mean. It seems stupid when it's used as the justification for the main pairing in a fic, i.e. Vegeta and Bulma belong together because Yamcha=Hitler (it may seem like I may have done this type of thing in the past with my own fanfics, but any comical character bashing was simply because of my dislike for certain characters, though my semi-serious Gundam Wing fic probably came across as pretty cruel to Relena....well, if I think it's funny to bash a character, I'll do it ^_^;;).

As for DB character bashing, there aren't any characters I really hate with a passion in DB, so no bashing. Soon (as in, when I get time, maybe), I plan to write a Bulma and Vegeta fic in which Yamcha doesn't come across as the worst human being in the universe (my fics have reserved that place for Relena :wink: )
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:40 pm

As evidenced by your avatar. It's undeniable now!
No, she's just masturbating.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

snen
Beyond Newbie

Post by snen » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:06 pm

sailorspazz wrote:Ah, character bashing. For me, I think character bashing is fine in the context of comedy, but when done in serious fanfics it just seems a bit, well, mean. It seems stupid when it's used as the justification for the main pairing in a fic, i.e. Vegeta and Bulma belong together because Yamcha=Hitler (it may seem like I may have done this type of thing in the past with my own fanfics, but any comical character bashing was simply because of my dislike for certain characters, though my semi-serious Gundam Wing fic probably came across as pretty cruel to Relena....well, if I think it's funny to bash a character, I'll do it ^_^;;).

As for DB character bashing, there aren't any characters I really hate with a passion in DB, so no bashing. Soon (as in, when I get time, maybe), I plan to write a Bulma and Vegeta fic in which Yamcha doesn't come across as the worst human being in the universe (my fics have reserved that place for Relena :wink: )
I agree - bashing is fine if done in a funny way, where you can tell the author is just joking. Poor Yamcha always gets the worst part in fics.. I don't see how he comes across in the show as a rapist/muderer/baby eater/whatever. Perhaps I'm just not paying attention to the underlying theme of the show :roll:

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:49 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Her voice in the Japanese is done by Videl's VA, Yuko Minaguchi. Her voice is really nice one. She also did Sailor Saturn in Sailor Moon.
Heee! She's my favorite VA, so no one go putting Pan in nasty situations or disgusting sexual fanfics, okay?

Why DOES Pan's voice in the dub tend to suck so much? They managed to get decent voices for all their young male characters (at least the ones who show up every episode), but that's the best they could do for Pan? That, coupled with the music changes, makes me refuse to watch GT dubbed.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:07 pm

I never really bash DBZ characters, except for when I first saw Trunks debut and found out about his parentage. I admit I did call Bulma a slut for having a fling with Vegeta at the time.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:42 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Well in the comics the big S DIED for a good year and 4 supermen took over: The Eradicator, a Teenage Clone, a black guy in a metal suit with an S as hommage to Superman, and Hank Henshaw: The Cyborg Superman who was only pretending to be Superman while he blew up Coast City.
Wasn't the Eradicator the real Superman? Or am I wrong?

It turned out none of them were. The Eradicator's essence/spirit/whatever touched Supes' corpse. This caused some of his energy to create a body identical to Superman's. Later the body went missing so everybody figured either the eradicator or cyborg was the real Superman. Turned out robots from the fortress of solitude brought him back to the fortress and placed the body inside a "birthing matrix" that spent 2 months reviving him. When he was "reborn", he didn't have his powers back yet (he's a solar battery and needed time to recharge since being dead drained him of his powers) so he dawned the pilot suit (the black suit with no S but a shield on the chest) and used a giant mecha Kryptonian battlesuit. Unfortunately nobody else knew this so when he arrived on land Supergirl, Steel and Superboy busted it open, rendering him useless. :lol:

Back on topic: Dragonball totally r0x0rs my br@in~~~11!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:55 pm

Makes me proud to say I own the entire "Death & Return of Superman" comic series, although I don't have too much more Superman comics from after that...

Back OT, I find it odd that Bra is often more favored in fics than Pan. I just see her for what she is: a young, spoiled princess. Not some awesome warrior who inherited her love of fighting from Vegeta -_-

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:04 am

The S wrote:Back OT, I find it odd that Bra is often more favored in fics than Pan. I just see her for what she is: a young, spoiled princess. Not some awesome warrior who inherited her love of fighting from Vegeta -_-
But the thing is, we don't really know that much about Bra, period. It's possible that she's a complete spoiled b*tch, with only enough Ki to fly. Or it's just as possible that she's a great fighter, but never got the spot light. That's why under-used characters are great for fan fic writers.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:20 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:
The S wrote:Back OT, I find it odd that Bra is often more favored in fics than Pan. I just see her for what she is: a young, spoiled princess. Not some awesome warrior who inherited her love of fighting from Vegeta -_-
But the thing is, we don't really know that much about Bra, period. It's possible that she's a complete spoiled b*tch, with only enough Ki to fly. Or it's just as possible that she's a great fighter, but never got the spot light. That's why under-used characters are great for fan fic writers.
It's more than likely that Vegeta trained her to like he did Chibi Trunks. If not to become strong, then at least to take care of herself should anything happen after Vegeta+ everybody else is dead and/or stopped training for years. She may even know how to go SSJ.

parron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by parron » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:56 pm

The only thing I see wrong with that is that Bra doesn't seem to use any fighting ability until Baby controls her. I wish I knew the exact episodes, but in the "one where Gohan attacks her and Vegeta" Bra uses a car to escape instead of flying (a lot faster), and in "one of the fighting episodes later on, where she isn't being controled" she's standing with Chi-Chi, Videl, and Bulma and Pan has to save them from some falling rocks/bits of building.

My main problem with the "Bra might be a really strong fighter" theory, then, is just that given two examples where she *should* have tried to defend herself, she just doesn't, and has to be saved by someone else.

My theory tends towards "Vegeta trained her a little when she was little, but then Bra hated it/Bulma didn't like her daughter fighting/etc., the training stopped, and Bra promptly forgot everything having to do with fighting."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:34 pm

I think most fanfickers pretend to ignore those facts since they're GT. Cutting off from the manga/DBZ would leave lots of PROBABILITIES available to them. I always had fics where she was just too weak when compared to Pan, since the end of the manga showed her to be a dedicated fighter at an early age. Chibi Trunks was only trained (by Vegeta) at what? 7? At the end of the manga Bra was only 3 or 5. If fighting wasn't her thing than it makes sense that she'd be weak at that age since nobody forced her to train.

parron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by parron » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:40 pm

^^;; That's a good point. Since I tend to hang around the "second generation" fans on ff.net, I usually forget that some people don't count DBGT -- since my portion of the fandom deals with DBGT characters and events, I'm really too used to including as best I can in my stories and theories, I guess. ^^;;