Character Bashing thoughts...? (More fanfic stuff)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:15 am

Not sure if anyone did this, but I think it would be funny if there was a fanfic where Bra is watching a bunch of kids, and whenever she says her name, they start giggling. Come on, that's why they changed her name for the GT dub anyways. That and the semi-perverted teen boys.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:54 am

What's her dub name? I don't watch the show dubbed so I haven't caught that yet.

parron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by parron » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:55 am

"Bulla"

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:02 pm

parron wrote:"Bulla"
Worse: "Bula" with only one "l". She's got an old-lady name! :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:03 pm

And that's so ridiculously worse than (sorta) being named after a woman's delicates! She'd be the laughingstock of town with a name like Bula. Though I figure, her sirname is already something a guy wears on his crotch, so why not just go all the way?

Bra Briefs.

Bulma is sick. Vegeta probably would've named her something half-decent, likely after his Saiyan tradition, something like "Corn," "Peas," or "Coleslaw," but you know how Bulma is about these things. If he didn't let her have her way, she'd keep showing her ass to whoever shows up to the door.

Bulma: Wanna touch my butt?

UPS Guy: For last time, NO! You're seventy-years old, Mrs.Briefs. And married to a little space critter who would kill us all.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:37 pm

It is indeed Bulla, with two "l's" according to dragonballgt.com, the end credits, and the TCG cards.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:07 am

The S wrote:It is indeed Bulla, with two "l's" according to dragonballgt.com, the end credits, and the TCG cards.
:shock: You mean they can't even properly pronounce the name THEY gave to her?! BUWAHAHA!! :lol:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:41 am

How is the pronunciation of Bulla wrong? Looking at the word, I would pronounce it the same way they do in the dub, "Bull-uh." If it were spelled "Bula", on the other hand, I might be prone to pronounce it "Bool-uh." Or is this an actual name that has a set pronunciation that I've just never heard about before?
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:22 am

sailorspazz wrote:How is the pronunciation of Bulla wrong? Looking at the word, I would pronounce it the same way they do in the dub, "Bull-uh." If it were spelled "Bula", on the other hand, I might be prone to pronounce it "Bool-uh." Or is this an actual name that has a set pronunciation that I've just never heard about before?
Ahhh... The Ocean dub pronounced it "Byuu-lah" (Bula). I thought it was the same for Funi when people started writing Bulla.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:53 pm

Wouldn't that be Beaulah? Because that's my grandmother's name, and it's pronounced that way...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:35 pm

WHATEVER!! Either way her name's "BRA". :P

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:59 pm

Bra! Hooray! Shout the name from the rooftops! Summon an army onto the streets, and let them march on the fortress of Gen and his evil minions, where they shall be smited for ever coming up with the name "Bulla".

Seriously, it's not that bad. They obviously had to change it, and while making another underwear pun might have been interesting, it also might have sounded even more stupid. Let's face it, "Trunks" sounds ridiculous as a name if you step back from the character, and we got to keep that. That's far more important than whatever they call the incredibly minor character of Bra.
Deus ex Machina wrote:But the thing is, we don't really know that much about Bra, period. It's possible that she's a complete spoiled b*tch, with only enough Ki to fly...
You'll have avatars featuring teenage girls flashing their oversize breasts, and scenes of naked mother and teenage daughter-weirdness, but you won't write out the word "bitch"?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:28 pm

Technically the the second avatar is the 3 generations of Bulma doing something I'm not allowed to say. :P

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:10 pm

PsyLiam wrote:You'll have avatars featuring teenage girls flashing their oversize breasts, and scenes of naked mother and teenage daughter-weirdness, but you won't write out the word "bitch"?
It's all about walking that fine line man... :wink:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:37 am

It's more like going on a graphic killing spree in front of thousands and making sure that no-one gets any blood splattered on them.

And if that's three generations, where's Mrs Briefs?
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:18 pm

PsyLiam wrote:It's more like going on a graphic killing spree in front of thousands and making sure that no-one gets any blood splattered on them.
It would be more like going on that graphic killing spree, but making sure I didn't use any bad language, just like Grand Theft Auto. :wink:
And if that's three generations, where's Mrs Briefs?
Actually, the three women are all Bulma: Early db arc, Cell arc, and Boo arc. You can see Trunks' time machine in the full pic.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:44 pm

What version of Grand Theft Auto were you playing? Because the ones that I've played say "fuck" pretty much all the time.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:01 pm

That's a really good question; I have Vice City, and I can't recall a single time that word was used.

Back on topic...ah...what was the topic again?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:20 pm

Y'know, you might be right about that. They do say "shit" though. And "dickhead" gets used about a billion times too.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:46 am

Kind of like in "Conker's Bad Fur Day" they say "shit" and "bitch" a lot of times, but they censor the "f" word. Yeah you're right, I never heard them say that word in Vice City at all.