The Tuffles

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The Tuffles

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:11 pm

I wanted to know more about the Tuffle race. What I know is very basic:
Tuffles - This race shared the Planet Plant (Old Vegeta), with the Saiya-Jin, and although weaker than the Saiya-Jin, they kept them at bay with their advanced technology, such as the Scouters and Blasters. They were also the inventors of the Space pods we see in the series. They were wiped out when a full moon appeared on the planet Plant, allowing the Saiya-Jins to go Oozaru and destroy the Tsfuru-Jin.
What was said about them in the manga (I currently do not have access to them considering they are an hour and a half away) and the daizenshuu?
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:14 pm

The Tsufuru-jin are exclusive to the anime, they are however a concept that Toriyama came up with.

Also, am I the only one that thinks "Tuffle" sounds extremely stupid?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:27 pm

One rare fact we do know about them is that the Saiyans would bully them around and forbid them from entering their marketplaces on the planet until they would perform the "Tuffle Shuffle", a humiliating dance that their culture had developed previously as a survival mechanism.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:38 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:Also, am I the only one that thinks "Tuffle" sounds extremely stupid?
Nope! I hate it myself.
Just Saiyan...

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Zackarotto wrote:One rare fact we do know about them is that the Saiyans would bully them around and forbid them from entering their marketplaces on the planet until they would perform the "Tuffle Shuffle", a humiliating dance that their culture had developed previously as a survival mechanism.
Tuffle....or Truffle?
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:46 am

Here is everything that I know:

-Pre 550: The Tsufuru live happily and peacefully on Planet Plant by themselves.

-550: The Saiya-jins land on Planet Plant in a single spaceship.

*Between 550 and 730 a war between the Saiya-jin and the Tsufuru breaks out*

-730: The war between the Saiya-jin and the Tsufuru end with the Saiya-jins as the victors and all of the Tsufuru dead. This is also the year that Hatchyakku, the Tsufuru's last hope at revenge, is launched into space.

That is all of the canonical information that I know about on the Tsufuru.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:19 am

SaiyaMel wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Also, am I the only one that thinks "Tuffle" sounds extremely stupid?
Nope! I hate it myself.
Thirded. If I were the most raging of dubbies, I'd feel like an absolute idiot just saying or typing that word. For a dub that's all about making everything "extreme!" and "hardcore!", it sticks out like a sore thumb.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:29 am

Don't necessarily hate it, just don't agree with it. Mainly cause it doesn't sound right, y'know? Same thing with wonky translations like Dr. Willow or Turles.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Thirded. If I were the most raging of dubbies, I'd feel like an absolute idiot just saying or typing that word. For a dub that's all about making everything "extreme!" and "hardcore!", it sticks out like a sore thumb.
I would hate it more if all the alternative spellings/names weren't just as stupid-looking.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:34 am

"Tuffle" is a fine enough name for me. They probably could have come up with something that would have conveyed the "fruit" pun a little more clearly, but whatever. Technically, it's a good romanization, and like Rocketman said, most other things would have sounded way too out of place.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:42 am

Considering we have Saiyan (which is basically Yasai), I don't see how Tsufurian would have been odd in comparison.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:21 am

Since they were such a very minor figure in things, except for GT, their name doesn't really matter to me.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:32 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Here is everything that I know:

-Pre 550: The Tsufuru live happily and peacefully on Planet Plant by themselves.

-730: The war between the Saiya-jin and the Tsufuru end with the Saiya-jins as the victors and all of the Tsufuru dead. This is also the year that Hatchyakku, the Tsufuru's last hope at revenge, is launched into space.

Eh... I'd hardly call that canonical.

Around 550: The original Saiyans board a mysterious spaceship and crashland on Planet Plant.

Between 720 and 730: On Planet Plant, the Saiyans unite and revolt, leading to all out war against the Tsufuls. The Saiyans are victorious. Death of Dr. Raichi, an eminent Tsuful scientist. A war machine of his creation called "Hachiyakku" designed to exterminate Saiyans is sent out somewhere into the Universe. Extermination of the Tsufuls by the hands of the Saiyans. The Planet Plant is conquered. The Saiyans rebaptise it "Planet Vegeta." They assimilate the technology of the Tsufuls, such as the Scouter, for example. They begin their invasion of the Universe by offering their military services to other planets.

Note that the "revolt" of 720-730 probably refers to how the OVA claims they were the slave-labor force of the Tsufuls prior to the war. The OVA is also the only time prior to the daizenshuu that the "mysterious spaceship" is referenced. Since we know that the OVA can't take place in the anime continuity, and since it introduces aspects of saiyan history that make NO sense (there should logically be another Saiyan planet with more Saiyans than planet Vegeta on it; and I don't see the Saiyans putting up with ~170 years of slavery from weaker beings than they), I say just ignore it as faulty and stick to DBZ's use of the Tsufuls.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:47 pm

I agree, the whole Saiyan invastion to Plant thing sounds bad to me. Just because it's in the daizenshuu and the OVA doesn't mean it's in my canon :wink: most of the information of the daizenshuu seems like a rushed attempt to explain little things that could've been left unknown.
It's all GOOD

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Dayspring wrote:

Around 550: The original Saiyans board a mysterious spaceship and crashland on Planet Plant.

Between 720 and 730: On Planet Plant, the Saiyans unite and revolt, leading to all out war against the Tsufuls. The Saiyans are victorious. Death of Dr. Raichi, an eminent Tsuful scientist. A war machine of his creation called "Hachiyakku" designed to exterminate Saiyans is sent out somewhere into the Universe. Extermination of the Tsufuls by the hands of the Saiyans. The Planet Plant is conquered. The Saiyans rebaptise it "Planet Vegeta." They assimilate the technology of the Tsufuls, such as the Scouter, for example. They begin their invasion of the Universe by offering their military services to other planets.
How is that different from what I said?

And when I said "canonical" I should have mentioned that I consider the Daizenshuu to be canonical sources, when they don't contradict the manga or Toryama directly.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:10 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Dayspring wrote:

How is that different from what I said?

And when I said "canonical" I should have mentioned that I consider the Daizenshuu to be canonical sources, when they don't contradict the manga or Toryama directly.
Quote the rest of my post and you'll see why I mentioned what I did. :P

The info I put was just to show that A) the daizenshuu is sourcing material that GREATLY contradicts the manga and Toriyama, and B) to tighten up the info you gave (we don't know the exact year the Saiyans crashed on Planet Plant, whereas it does give us a closer approximation of when the Tsuful-Saiyan War took place).

Here's an interesting thought: anybody think the Tsufuls were a super-power prior to the Saiyan war? Unlike most other nations, it seems only the Tsufuls had to go up against what would become the entire Saiyan Race.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:56 pm

For what it's worth, the UK / Canadian / Blue Water dub of GT used the word Tsufle. Which is much closer to the original word and less dumb sounding.

FUNimation's use of "Tuffle" seems like yet another case of "We changed it because we could, har har har."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Casual Matt wrote:For what it's worth, the UK / Canadian / Blue Water dub of GT used the word Tsufle. Which is much closer to the original word and less dumb sounding.
...it's exactly the same but for a hiss at the end of the 'tuh'.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:00 am

Casual Matt wrote:
For what it's worth, the UK / Canadian / Blue Water dub of GT used the word Tsufle. Which is much closer to the original word and less dumb sounding.

FUNimation's use of "Tuffle" seems like yet another case of "We changed it because we could, har har har."
France and Mexico do that with American comics and cartoons as well. Though don't hear complaints about it. Or does anyone from Latin America or Spain ever hear of someone when hearing "Pato Lucas" yell at someone to call him Daffy?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:25 am

Dayspring wrote:Quote the rest of my post and you'll see why I mentioned what I did. :P
OK, but I just don't see how it adds anything to what I said. Here I will quote/analyze what you said in the rest of the post that you mentioned:

>I said that the revolt/war started between 550 and 730 and you said between 720 and 730. Yes, you made it more specific (since you seem to know more about the timeline than me), but my statement of 550-730 wasn't necessarily wrong.

>And...
Dayspring wrote:The OVA is also the only time prior to the daizenshuu that the "mysterious spaceship" is referenced. Since we know that the OVA can't take place in the anime continuity, and since it introduces aspects of saiyan history that make NO sense
I understand that the events that take place in the OVA cannot be part of the manga timeline, but there is no reason that the events, or parts of the events, that are mentioned in the OVA (such as the history of the Saiya-jin and Tsufuru) cannot fit. And since those parts (and those parts alone) are mentioned in the Daizenshuu, it falls into my definition on Dragonball canon.

And also, I'm pretty sure that the spaceship was only mentioned in the Daizneshuu.

>And regarding:
Dayspring wrote:there should logically be another Saiyan planet with more Saiyans than planet Vegeta on it
Are you saying that the planet that the Saiya-jin lived on before they arrived on Planet Plant still has Saiya-jins on it? Because I don't think that there is anything about that written anywhere.

>And lastly:
Dayspring wrote:and I don't see the Saiyans putting up with ~170 years of slavery from weaker beings than they
Does the Daizenshuu really say that the Saiya-jin were ever enslaved by the Tsufuru?
----------------------------------------------------------
Dayspring wrote:The info I put was just to show that A) the daizenshuu is sourcing material that GREATLY contradicts the manga and Toriyama, and B) to tighten up the info you gave (we don't know the exact year the Saiyans crashed on Planet Plant, whereas it does give us a closer approximation of when the Tsuful-Saiyan War took place).
As far as I know, the Daizenshuu only sources parts of the OVA, and those parts do not contradict anything (if I'm wrong please just point out the things from the OVA that the Daizenshuu cites that contradict the manga).

And according to Herms, we do know the exact year the Saiya-jins landed on Planet Plant; and it is 550.

**Note: I don't mean to sound argumentative, I'm just trying to get these things clarified because I don’t fully understand them myself. I stand my everything that I have said, because I have yet to see any solid information or proof that contradicts any of it.**