Room of Spirit and Time in Dragon Ball

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Room of Spirit and Time in Dragon Ball

Post by jpranevich » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:24 pm

From what I have been able to tell, there are only a handful of elements in the Dragon Ball manga which were originally created for one of the two anime series. Bardock is the easy example of a character introduced in the anime which Toriyama liked and eventually used, but are there others.

Now, I apologize for not investigating this further but I don't (yet) have the full set of DB DVDs. The Room of Spirit and Time seems to be a second "easy" example (though one that I didn't notice) in that it first appeared in the DB anime but not the manga, and then later was a critical plot element in the Cell saga in both the manga and anime series. I haven't been able to find the reference to the room in the first 16 volumes of the manga, but I'm not sure that it isn't actually there someplace obvious and I'm not seeing it. (I have read somewhere that the "time travelling" room in the Saiyan saga was also referred to as the "Room of Spirit and Time" in the Japanese-language anime, though I can't confirm this. That would be interesting if true: two ideas for the same concept in filler and only one to become canon.)

So, two questions:

Is the "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" actually an example of filler becoming canon to the manga or am I eating mushrooms? (And not the "grow bigger" and jump on turtles kind.)

What other example are there of this transition? Any?

JP

(I've also been replaying the PS version of Chrono Trigger. Despite the terrible load times, it holds up great as a game and the Toriyama styling in the anime cut scenes are great. Really makes me mourn that we don't get more Toriyama animes (or even manga) imported to the US. There's a built in market for either of the "Dr. Slump" series if you pretended as if they were prequels to Dragon Ball... though it's too bad Dragon Ball Z/GT never made it back to Penguin Village. And judging by the amount of crap anime hitting our fair shores, one anime that actually includes crap would fit right in.)

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:36 am

Is the "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" actually an example of filler becoming canon to the manga or am I eating mushrooms? (And not the "grow bigger" and jump on turtles kind.)
There was a Chamber of Space and Time in the db anime, and there's no mention of it in the manga. But it's, actually, like the one that the humans used in Sayan Saga, not like the one seen in Cell's Saga.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:05 am

Most, if not all of Goku's training with Mr.Popo is filler. Toriyama may have based the Room of Spirit and Time on that one, but as Neon Z said, the one in DB is the same one in the Saiyan saga. What I find interesting is that I'm pretty sure Goku mentions in the Cell saga that he trained in the ROST when he was a kid. I dont think Goku wouldve known about it unless it was the same one. Can we say inconsistancies?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:06 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:Can we say inconsistancies?
*points to Julian*

Get to work! (You actually own the manga :P).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:35 am

The room during Popo's training was the Room of Time (Toki no Heya). I think the room during the Saiyajin Saga has the same name, but I don't know for certain. They seem to serve the same purpose, anyway.
Sun_Wukong wrote:What I find interesting is that I'm pretty sure Goku mentions in the Cell saga that he trained in the ROST when he was a kid. I dont think Goku wouldve known about it unless it was the same one. Can we say inconsistancies?
Why does that have to be an inconsistency? He could've trained in two different rooms.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:51 am

I think what the issue (and question?) would be is whether or not these different rooms are all referred to with the same phrase in the Japanese dialogue. They all look slightly different and seem to serve somewhat different purposes (all of which serve the same overall goal, but whatever). It would also be interesting to note if something else anime/filler actually did inspire Toriyama to do something new (such as the Room we're familiar with in DBZ, mostly Cell Saga).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:56 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Most, if not all of Goku's training with Mr.Popo is filler. Toriyama may have based the Room of Spirit and Time on that one, but as Neon Z said, the one in DB is the same one in the Saiyan saga. What I find interesting is that I'm pretty sure Goku mentions in the Cell saga that he trained in the ROST when he was a kid. I dont think Goku wouldve known about it unless it was the same one. Can we say inconsistancies?
I don't see why the possibility of TWO DIFFERENT ROOMS is such an imposibility here. :P

I always figured we simply didn't see Goku use the ROST in the 3-years of his training under Kami. Y'know, since we didn't see ANY of it in the manga. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:58 pm

Yep. The only training it shows Son doing is that three panel meditation-ing thing. Possibly Toriyama came up with the idea of a strange time-themed room because of the filler.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:32 pm

I've also been replaying the PS version of Chrono Trigger. Despite the terrible load times, it holds up great as a game and the Toriyama styling in the anime cut scenes are great
Must be just your copy. Mine is one of the faster loading PS1 games that I've played.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:04 pm

The S wrote:
I've also been replaying the PS version of Chrono Trigger. Despite the terrible load times, it holds up great as a game and the Toriyama styling in the anime cut scenes are great
Must be just your copy. Mine is one of the faster loading PS1 games that I've played.
That must be your copy, S. A friend of mine had bought the PS1 version of CT and the load times were excrutiating

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:55 pm

Chrono Trigger....stupid Crono, why'd he have to go jump in front of Lavos and sacrifice his life so his friends could live? That selfish jerk! I had to go around looking for the Chrono Trigger just to revive that idiot. Anywho, back on topic...but yes, it did have horrible load times.

I think the question is not whether any fillers inspired parts of the manga, but whether parts of the manga influenced filler...rant rant rant...
Maybe Toriyama was trying to make the Room of the Spirit and Time the room seen in the anime, but he didn't know/forgot about how the room looked like or what it exactly did. Or something.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Professor Daravon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Professor Daravon » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:41 am

The S wrote:
Chrono Trigger had horrendous load time on PSX. I played through it on there once, but if I ever feel like going through it again I'm breaking out the old SNES. The PSX version was disappointing anyway. They created movies for all the worst scenes. Instead of a cool movie of Zeal falling or the arrival of Lavos, we get short videos of Lucca pulling out a wrench when they find Robo. Seriously, what the hell.

Kam

Post by Kam » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:11 pm

The ROSaT and the "Jedi Mind ****" Room could easily be different rooms.

///
[i][b]The Otaku Alliance is Upon You[/b][/i]

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:24 pm

Hey Kam, I see you're located on Earth. That's like so spooky! I'm on Earth too! -_-
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."