Dragon Ball GT: Season 1 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:45 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Snail wrote:Barry Watson - "Coffee stain on the Mona Lisa? Golden."
Given GT's quality, don't you mean "Coffee stain on a four-year-old's crayon scribbles"?
:lol: Hah. I stand corrected.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Going back to the whole promotion of GT, I think that FUNimation did a pretty good move. I mean it's no secret, not a lot of people liked GT. But somehow FUNimation got fans to watch it in America. Same with Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball was attempted twice at being dubbed (with FUNimation itself being one attempt). Then, after they built a huge fanbase with Z, they got lots of people into Dragon Ball. And GT sells I guess. Smart move on their part.

But it's obvious that they don't care about the diehard fans. They seem to go by the mentality that just because you live in America, that you probably don't even know jack about the Japanese version, so why would you care if they took all that stuff out? Then again, I really don't care. I skip through the opener, closer, and anything else in between that you can imagine. At some point on the single DVDs, they made it so that when an eyecatcher comes on and you hit "Next", it goes picks up right after the end of the eyecatcher. That's what I do. But I understand why a lot of fans are upset. They're not giving the absolute perfect release of the series. But maybe that's the thing. After Dragon Box, peoples' expectations got way higher.

The thing is that regardless of how imperfect the FUNimation releases are, I'm still grateful for them. Think about it. As far as I know, until 2004, there was no legit Japanese release of the series on DVD. And that's where it originated! So other than downloading fansubs off the internet or getting fake video tapes (sometimes with some questionable quality), I feel that knowing that I could watch the show in Japanese on my FUNimation DVDs was one of the best feelings. I mean if the country in which it originated from didn't put the DVDs out for that long, and FUNimation had an English-only soundtrack, many people would not be exposed to the Japanese version in a long, long time to come. I feel like FUNimation doesn't owe DBZ fans anything. But whatever it does put on DVD, I'm thankful for. I can't get the Dragon Box. I'd like to, but I spent a fortune as it is on DB/Z/GT. As for the singles, I don't know, same deal. Spent a fortune on the show already and plus there's shipping, etc. But just for a color change, which I can fix on my TV, and some stuff like Japanese title cards, openers/endings (for Dragon Ball), and things like that...well...I'll get over it. Besides, on the single FUNimation DVDs, the only things missing (other than next episode previews and the opener/closing in DB) is "proper" color. Although that color was made for the Dragon Box footage because any old picture online was even lighter than FUNimation's (and FUNimation is lighter than Dragon Box). So to me, personally... I'm satisfied. I just wish that they released all of the Ultimate Uncut line. Other than that, I really am grateful for FUNimation's releases because without them, a) I wouldn't know squat about the Japanese version of DBZ other than what the voices and music sounded like, and b) I wouldn't even have the chance to own it on DVD, just tapes of when it came on Cartoon Network.
Last edited by TheGreatness25 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:20 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote: Are Madman replacing all Box Sets with Fatpacks? Because they seem to be clearing out all stock. I see that all new releases are fatpacks, and they are releasing a lot of older sets like that (like Yu Yu Hakusho), and I just wonder if you knew whether they were doing that with all stock?

I'd really rather they didn't. I don't like fatpacks.
Yeah, but I think it's a good move, I'd rather have a cheap fatpack that takes up minimal shelf space than an artbox that cost me $35 for the box and first dvd, and an additional $25 for each dvd.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Levlik wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpOG2VN9GGk&fmt=18

Here's the intro. Sorry, I'm having huge problems with my ripper and that was the best I could do. It went from freezing while ripping, not ripping at all, or synching issues. I can't rip any other scenes, sorry.

However, here are 192kbps MP3s of the intro and closings:

Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku: http://www.mediafire.com/?u7qiudojmmz
Hitori Janai: http://www.mediafire.com/?mmsnmndwm0x
Don't You See: http://www.mediafire.com/?qdxmxwnxmet
Holy balls I never thought id see FUNI do this.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:55 pm

Lately I have been listening to the English version of Dan Dan and I like it more every time I here it. I think I will definitely grab this set, even if just for the English vocal theme. I cannot wait to find out who sings Sabitsuita Mashingan de Ima o Uchinukô. I really hope that Vic gets to sing it, as he did a phenomenal job on Dan Dan (as well as "We Are" for One Piece).

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:19 pm

I think Vic's perfect for ending 4, and the woman that did the English "Hitori ja Nai" is a great match to the spunky singer that performed "Blue Velvet". I really hope both of them get those respective songs.

And really, as good as Vic's "Dan Dan" is, it's not my favorite. There are some points in the song where the lyrics sound forced, where there isn't a good rhythm. It just sounds like they're trying too hard at times to fit the lyrics into the melody, and the end result comes off as a tad unnatural. That's not to say it's bad; I love it. It's just not my favorite one of the three.

That honor goes to "Hitori ja Nai". Singer gender change aside, it sounds fantastic. The lyrics, singer, and melody come off completely natural and it doesn't sound at all like they're struggling to fit the melody. It's great.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:37 pm

Meh, no next episode previews and alternate angles means absolutely NOTHING to me. I only watch these sets using the Marathon Feature. Hell, what's the point in even wasting a concerned thought on Next Episode Previews?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm kind of surprised... usually 20 pages into one of these Season Set threads, there's been a buttload of screencaps and video clips uploaded and being compared. I don't mean to be pushy, but I'd love to see some more in-depth looks at the GT set's video quality ASAP.
MagicBox wrote:And really, as good as Vic's "Dan Dan" is, it's not my favorite. There are some points in the song where the lyrics sound forced, where there isn't a good rhythm. It just sounds like they're trying too hard at times to fit the lyrics into the melody, and the end result comes off as a tad unnatural. That's not to say it's bad; I love it. It's just not my favorite one of the three.
Now that I've recovered from the initial burst of euphoria, I have to agree. It is still my favorite of the three simply because Dan Dan is the only GT song I'm really super-familiar with. But it does sound like they were a little too concerned with getting an accurate translation and not enough on making the lyrics flow well.

Before this great move from FUNi came out of left field, I was working on my own attempt at English lyrics for the song. While my progress was kind of slow, the results were very nice.

Though still, considering this was apparently a last-minute decision from FUNi to please us, I'm not gonna complain. Definitely good enough to warrant the delays, and then some.
Last edited by Kaboom on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:46 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I'm kind of surprised... usually 20 pages into one of these Season Set threads, there's been a buttload of screencaps and video clips uploaded and being compared. I don't mean to be pushy, but I'd love to see some more in-depth looks at the GT set's video quality ASAP.
I found that odd, too. With the DBZ sets there's always videos and screencaps for those as soon as someone gets it. However, is seems everyone who got the GT sets either can't rip, can't figure out how to rip, their ripper doesn't work, or they would rather just watch them and not post. But anyways, hopefully more people will have the set next week and post the videos for the ending themes and the second opening theme that include what English credits FUNi provided.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm willing to post comparison shots from the singles if someone posts some caps from the season set.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:24 pm

kusakun004 wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:I'm kind of surprised... usually 20 pages into one of these Season Set threads, there's been a buttload of screencaps and video clips uploaded and being compared. I don't mean to be pushy, but I'd love to see some more in-depth looks at the GT set's video quality ASAP.
I found that odd, too. With the DBZ sets there's always videos and screencaps for those as soon as someone gets it. However, is seems everyone who got the GT sets either can't rip, can't figure out how to rip, their ripper doesn't work, or they would rather just watch them and not post. But anyways, hopefully more people will have the set next week and post the videos for the ending themes and the second opening theme that include what English credits FUNi provided.
Mine should be arriving tomorrow (supposedly), my weekend has a pretty empty outlook (yay for you boo for me), so when it does I'll be posting caps like crazy.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:04 am

Well, the set officially comes out this Tuesday, so there will probably be some up then.

I personally love the FUNi versions of the songs, it's just the background instrumentals that I don't like.

Dan Dan just kind of blares out what feels like one long, boring note before it gets to the lyrics, and all the notes inbetween sound "slurred" together.

Don't you see just feels a little bit slowed down to me, and Hitori Janai is the best one of the three, and I haven't really listened to it enough to see if theres anything in that one.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:13 am

Can we please see some more comparisons?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 am

Big Momma wrote: Don't you see just feels a little bit slowed down to me, and Hitori Janai is the best one of the three, and I haven't really listened to it enough to see if theres anything in that one.
I actually found myself really disappointed with Hitori Janai and Don't you see, the performances were a little flat and I found myself really disliking the backing music, all those little musical cues I love in both of those songs seem to be absent, or just inaudible.

I still think it's fantastic to have English versions of these songs, one day I'll pick up the sets just to own them, but considering the fact I own all the singles, it won't be until these hit a bargain bin or something.

*edit* Sorry if someone has already posted it, but I stumbled upon the season two trailer on Youtube.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=dARRgRh4t ... re=related

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:32 am

Wait. Did someone say this comes out Tuesday? Then why's it listed everywhere for February?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:34 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Wait. Did someone say this comes out Tuesday? Then why's it listed everywhere for February?
That would be Season 2. :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:47 am

It might be nice to know the technical differences between the Season Sets and the Singles just because I'm more or less on the fence between the two. A few things have really made the otherwise great sets look like a really iffy purchase to me, and my pre-existing general iffy-ness towards GT makes them seem like a purchase I can wait on.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:52 am

Wow. These things are coming out fast. I didn't even get Season 7 or the Cooler movies because it's never in Best Buy, Circuit City, or Target around here. I'm used to them coming out 3 months apart, and I didn't even notice that Season 7 or the Cooler movies came out until like 2 weeks after they came out. They are really banging these out.

So I have a question. I went on bestbuy.com and typed in Dragon Ball Z (to check the availability of Season 7 and the Cooler movies) and search listings' first mentions are Dragon Ball Z Season 8 (not surprising) and something called "Dragon Ball Z: Android Assault". What is that?! It's listed for a DVD and Blu-Ray release. I guess it could be the Android 13 movie but...why would it be called "Android Assault"? That would imply that only the Android 13 movie is coming out (not in a double feature) and that they'd be changing the name of the movie altogether.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:50 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Wow. These things are coming out fast. I didn't even get Season 7 or the Cooler movies because it's never in Best Buy, Circuit City, or Target around here. I'm used to them coming out 3 months apart, and I didn't even notice that Season 7 or the Cooler movies came out until like 2 weeks after they came out. They are really banging these out.

So I have a question. I went on bestbuy.com and typed in Dragon Ball Z (to check the availability of Season 7 and the Cooler movies) and search listings' first mentions are Dragon Ball Z Season 8 (not surprising) and something called "Dragon Ball Z: Android Assault". What is that?! It's listed for a DVD and Blu-Ray release. I guess it could be the Android 13 movie but...why would it be called "Android Assault"? That would imply that only the Android 13 movie is coming out (not in a double feature) and that they'd be changing the name of the movie altogether.

They only pick one name on the double packs.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Andro ... B001M6SH9C

Here's the Amazon Link.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:56 am

Oh. Well it didn't mention anything about Bojack. And Android Assault isn't the movie name.