Full Movie Trailer Online

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:34 pm

Mizugi wrote:I don't understand why so many people are upset about Gokuu's personality in the movie. Honestly his personality was changed between the Japanese original and the dub ("Man, Vegeta looks pretty ragged out, huh?") so what's wrong with a depiction that is more consistent with the setting of the film?
I don't think "the dub did it too" is going to win you any arguments here. I don't care enough to take part in any of those debates, but you can't even write the dub names here, take that as you will...

More to the point, it's all about to what extent an individual can tolerate enough to enjoy. Chatku just isn't working for some of us.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:35 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Chuquita wrote:You could have the coolest special effects or dead-on Piccolo in the world, but the writers molesting Goku's personality beyond recognition have assured that they won't get a damn dime from me.
You and me both.

*Nods in agreement*

Dull, emotionless, "whatever" movie "Goku" killed what interest the trailer otherwise would've stirred for me.

Goku's one of my favorite characters because of his personality. He's so into fighting for the fun and challenging aspects of it. And while he's obviously not happy all the time, he's always "ready" to take on the bad guys. Fighting someone stronger than he is excites him.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rena Rune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rena Rune » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:38 pm

Goku is so the opposite of what these kind of movies represent I think.

I don't how they claim to be capturing the spirit of the original when the original was more or less a comedy.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:41 pm

I don't think the writing was the problem. "Cool" is something Goku would say, but he wouldn't say it like "Cool."

He'd say, "Coooooool." Like a child.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:43 pm

My fears are confirmed more and more anytime we see something new about this movie...
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:44 pm

Daburcor wrote:My fears are confirmed more and more anytime we see something new about this movie...
You mean like that whole, "Piccolo isn't even green" thing?
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:47 pm

JAPPO wrote:Is that him carrying a turtle shell?
Nah, watching the HD version frame by frame he appears to be running with a giant napsack/net of crap on his back.

-Corey

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Nah, watching the HD version frame by frame he appears to be running with a giant napsack/net of crap on his back.
So is that part of his training or something else?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Nah, watching the HD version frame by frame he appears to be running with a giant napsack/net of crap on his back.
He appears to be running after someone who is leaving on some hover thing-a-ma-bob. So, I'd say no.

-Corey

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 pm

I love how it's like *OMFG EPIC CGI TRANSFORMATION CAPSULE CORP MEGA FUCKIN' SLICK BIKE YEEEA*

Goku: "...cool."

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 pm

So I guess the "thing-a-ma-bob" is Bulma and Roshi on the Capsule Bike and they just made Goku carry the supplies on his back.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:54 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Chrono Trigger wrote:
He appears to be running after someone who is leaving on some hover thing-a-ma-bob. So, I'd say no.
-Corey
Well, if Roshi has just joined Goku and Bulma on their trip, and subsequently agreed to tutor Goku, what better way to jump-start the training than, "okay, carry all our stuff?"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:00 pm

So, it looks like Gokû is near death and is revived by Rôshi transferring his life force to him, Gokû gets mad and becomes a Oozaru and...
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:01 pm

I thought Roshi dies fighting Piccolo?

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:01 pm

JulieYBM wrote:So, it looks like Gokû is near death and is revived by Rôshi transferring his life force to him, Gokû gets mad and becomes a Oozaru and...
Kills Tom Rothman.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:01 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:
Mizugi wrote:I don't understand why so many people are upset about Gokuu's personality in the movie. Honestly his personality was changed between the Japanese original and the dub ("Man, Vegeta looks pretty ragged out, huh?") so what's wrong with a depiction that is more consistent with the setting of the film?
I don't think "the dub did it too" is going to win you any arguments here. I don't care enough to take part in any of those debates, but you can't even write the dub names here, take that as you will...

More to the point, it's all about to what extent an individual can tolerate enough to enjoy. Chatku just isn't working for some of us.
My point with that isn't that "since the dub did it it's okay" because I'm not really a fan of Gokuu's dub portrayal anyway. My feelings on the matter are that a different portrayal of the character doesn't take anything away from the original. Sean Schemmel's voice acting doesn't make Masako Nozawa any less amazing.

It's a different Gokuu for a different Dragon Ball story, and that's fine with me. To each their own, I suppose.

Kaiser Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaiser Gogeta » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:52 pm

I'll agree with SSJ Kaboom and Mizugi's thought process that the movie was going to be tweaked anyway in order to make it more contemporary. In my opinion, the changes made so far haven't really taken away from the movie, especially the pairing of Mai and Piccolo as both demon-types.
So yeah, before this trailer I was going to see the movie, and now that I've seen it, I have more incentive to.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:53 pm

Wow. They didn't do bad this time around.
And holy smithsonians, Batman! Piccolo is green!

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Daburcor wrote:My fears are confirmed more and more anytime we see something new about this movie...
You mean like that whole, "Piccolo isn't even green" thing?
No SSJ, I mean the whole "this movie looks terrible" thing. I give them points for green Piccolo. Good for them. They did one thing right. YAY GREEN PICCOLO!!!

But if you recall (and judging by your swift reply, I'm sure you do), that wasn't my only gripe. Not by a long shot. They could make Piccolo the best, most perfect shade of green that could ever possibly be put to film; It still wouldn't fix the rest of the movie. What about Mai being Piccolo's crazy shape-shifting assassin henchman? Better yet, what about Sharku? Even better still, what about Kuririn not being around at all? He's far from a secondary character. Why not put him in the movie? Was he not important enough to the plot? There are loads of other things I'm miffed about, but in short, this flick looks terrible to me and I will not be seeing it.

And I'm sure, as is always the case, you or someone else will say "Well, we've heard what YOU have to say already anyway, so why not just stop discussing it?", but the same can be said of you. I'm tired of the vicious double-standard.

I'm also sick of the people who are positive about the movie talking down to all the people who are negative about it just because you don't like what we're saying. Especially since (for the most part) the negative people rarely resort to personal attacks on the positive posters. I know I only do so when someone makes a smug comment like yours toward me. When I comment on the movie, I'm commenting on the movie.

Also, what ever happened to the whole "wait for the trailer to judge" thing? Are we not doing that anymore? Are we not allowed to judge until we see the whole thing now? And if we don't like it in the theater (those who will be going), do we have to wait until it's on DVD? 20th Anniversary Extended Blu-Ray edition? Do I have to wait until my fucking Grandchildren see it and ask what THEY think before I can make my own judgment?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:33 pm

I wasn't trying to be smug, and I apologize if it came across that way.

My point was that something that was previous thought to be a sure-thing, major fault of the movie ended up turning out good, or at least a non-issue. Who's to say other "problems" with the movie won't?

And yes, some things have been kept the same, others haven't.