Origin of Babidi's chant

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Origin of Babidi's chant

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:03 am

----Notice:This old thread is part of my series of guides. To avoid necro-posting, please post any comments you have in the sticky thread for my guides, rather than here. Thanks!----

So I was wandering around Japanese Wikipedia when I found something interesting: in the Japanese version of the Hanna-Barbera cartoon Shazzan (called "Daimao Shazzan, with daimao in this case meaning "great magical king" instead of "great demon king"), the titular genie says the phrase "Paparapah!" whenever he uses his magic, which became a popular phrase among kids at the time (Toriyama would have been 12 at the time). This is basically the same thing as Babidi's magical phrase, "Papparapah", so I'm betting that's the source for it. I watched an episode of Shazzan on youtube and he never used the phrase, so I'm guessing that it was only in the Japanese version. I can't find any videos of the Japanese version of the show on youtube, though I did find the Japanese into song. Since Shazzan is a genie and the whole show is based on the Arabian Nights, this would be another bit of Arabian Nights influence on the Buu arc.
Last edited by Herms on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:05 am

Hah. Interesting find, I've never heard of that one.

I watched that cartoon as a kid and I don't remember the phrase being in the English version either, but it was a long time ago, I could be mistaken.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 am

Herms, you are amazing. To think we all know everything about Dragonball...
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:29 am

Amazing... So Toriyama could have based Babidi on a genie. You certainly learn new things everyday!

Cheers Herms!
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:43 am

Speaking of chants and a daimao, what exactly are the words Piccolo Daimao says when he's making a new egg and where did they originate from?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:35 am

Tsukento wrote:Speaking of chants and a daimao, what exactly are the words Piccolo Daimao says when he's making a new egg and where did they originate from?
Daimao answered this in this old thread:
Daimao wrote:It comes from a game where one child is chosen to be "it," and turns his back to the other children playing. The others then chant "Chinaman, Chinaman, who's poking you?" as they come up and jab him in the back. Depending on the style being played, "it" then has to guess who was the first or last to poke him. If "it" is right, that person then becomes "it."

"Pokopen" is apparently derived from the Chinese "Bu kuang ben" (不囈本), meaning "prohibited" or "taboo." It's an ethnic slur, so be advised.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:58 pm

Nice find! I guess the winged-camel creature was voiced by the same person who did Scooby-Doo.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:35 pm

Krakabeast wrote:Nice find! I guess the winged-camel creature was voiced by the same person who did Scooby-Doo.
He did a lot of voices including Hamton J. Pig, Astro and Papa Smurf.