Budokai 3 Confirmation

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:50 pm

Xyex wrote: Each character DOES play differently, it's just not as extensive as in games such as Tekken or SC2.
There may be a few minor differences with things like hit detection, otherwise, they all play the same, seriously. There is no real strategy involved that seperates the characters because the fighting engine limits you so much to ethier dodge or charge your oppenent. Playing a defensive game is very difficult when you cant move in every direction, and playing an offensive game is even more difficult when practically your entire move set requires you memorize strings of combos. There is no room for your own input in the game really, unless you want to fight with basic combos which is rather difficult when you have only two attack buttons.
Nothing you said held true for me on them. Freeza played the same as Cell who played the same as Goku in all of them. I didn't notice a single thing that set them apart from each other beyond appearances. None of them were faster or slower or stronger or weaker. They all played the same.
Play Hyper Dimension, nuff said.
Lastly, about your jumping and ducking, um, no. The only game I ever ducked in was MK and that was just to do the big uppercuts. Otherwise, nope. I don't jump and I don't duck because it's not needed. Okay, correction, I'll jump or duck when I'm bored and don't want a challange to the game anymore. I mean seriously, it makes the fights a million times easier when you can do just one let alone both.
You need to play more fighters then, the older MK games are just as shallow as the Budokai games because every character can duck n' uppercut and use practically the same strategy.

Play Street Fighter III, Guilty Gear, or King of Fighters, these games really arent that complex, they are easy enough to pick up and yet even more enjoyable to the more experienced player. Jumping/Ducking are extremely important to any fighter, even the likes of some 3D fighters.

Dimps may have created an extremely successful game, but at heart, its not a very good game and its quite overated(by DBZ fans) in terms of playability. But...at least we get more new music and animation sequences out of it :wink:

I'm much rather looking towards this JUMP Fighting All-Stars games on Nintendo DS...Luffy vs. Goku!!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:13 pm

Izlude wrote:
Xyex wrote: Each character DOES play differently, it's just not as extensive as in games such as Tekken or SC2.
There may be a few minor differences with things like hit detection, otherwise, they all play the same, seriously. There is no real strategy involved that seperates the characters because the fighting engine limits you so much to ethier dodge or charge your oppenent. Playing a defensive game is very difficult when you cant move in every direction, and playing an offensive game is even more difficult when practically your entire move set requires you memorize strings of combos. There is no room for your own input in the game really, unless you want to fight with basic combos which is rather difficult when you have only two attack buttons.
EVERY system to ANY fighting game requires that you memorize them.
Izlude wrote:
Xyex wrote:Nothing you said held true for me on them. Freeza played the same as Cell who played the same as Goku in all of them. I didn't notice a single thing that set them apart from each other beyond appearances. None of them were faster or slower or stronger or weaker. They all played the same.
Play Hyper Dimension, nuff said.
Have played, you must have missed what I said. They all play the same.

Blah, I'm done. This is getting no where...
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:48 pm

Xyex wrote:EVERY system to ANY fighting game requires that you memorize them.
There may be a few motions you have to remember from time to time, but they dont require you to actually know them to put up a good fight. Example, in Guilty Gear, its not required you know how to pull off every single special move or super move of a character to actually be able to do good in it. Each characters basic attacks have their own likeiness to them, some are good for pokes, others may hit multiple times or cause more damage, and the speed of each varies character to character, and this is what enables you to create some devistating combos on your own.
Izlude wrote:
Have played, you must have missed what I said. They all play the same.
Play againest some human oppenents and not the CPU, you'll quickly see the differences.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:57 pm

Cool movies in the Gamespot link mentioned in the update! Opening movie is very cool, and a great movie with Raddits vs. Gokuu

"WATCH THE BIRDIE!"

XD
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 pm

Pretty damn awesome! But I still like the Budokai 2 intro a lot better! oh, and EX, you mean that the vocal version has the original Japanese V.A.'s singing!? OMG! FANDOM OVERLOAD!!

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:08 pm

As far as the fighting system worked, yes I agree it's a shame the characters do play alike. Maybe with a bit more work they could make the characters a little more different. But as far as jumping and ducking goes, do you remember them actually jumping and ducking in the anime or manga? I can't say I do. They either take the attack, block it or fly out of the way.

And as far as the intro goes, that was great (was that Gohan fighting Metal Cooler?) but it is a shame the BG music, while good isn't as good as the one for DBZB2.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:23 pm

Caracal wrote: But as far as jumping and ducking goes, do you remember them actually jumping and ducking in the anime or manga? I can't say I do. They either take the attack, block it or fly out of the way.
There is lots of jumping and ducking, remember how high characters would jump to dodge? Or how about ducking at the last second? ^^

I wanna see this opening though... but Game Spot sucks for me, never fully loads.
Last edited by Izlude on Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:30 pm

No matter what differences people have about the play mechanics, Budokai 3 is still a great piece of digital entertainment for all the guilty fan pleasures.

I'd buy it if I had a PS2 (hoping Atari shows love for the Gamecube again.)

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:59 pm

Izlude wrote:
Caracal wrote: But as far as jumping and ducking goes, do you remember them actually jumping and ducking in the anime or manga? I can't say I do. They either take the attack, block it or fly out of the way.
There is lots of jumping and ducking, remember how high characters would jump to dodge? Or how about ducking at the last second? ^^
*cough* Been a long time since I last watched it and I was (kinda) quoting an article from a preview of DBZB2.
I wanna see this opening though... but Game Spot sucks for me, never fully loads.
I could stream it but I couldn't download it (bloody GameSpot).

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:41 pm

I don't get Gamespot either. I signed up for the basic Gamespot, clicked on the download and, lo and behold... nothing. It does nothing no matter how many time I fucking click it. It's maddening! What am I doing wrong?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:34 pm

*grumbling angrily*

I signed up for their stupid free membership thing, but it won't let me download, something about Active X controls. Why the hell do these websites make it so damn difficult?

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:39 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Why the hell do these websites make it so damn difficult?
Simple, its all about the advertisements ^^

Ryu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ryu » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:36 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:*grumbling angrily*

I signed up for their stupid free membership thing, but it won't let me download, something about Active X controls. Why the hell do these websites make it so damn difficult?
Well I guess I was one of the lucky ones, everything worked fine for me. :P

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:25 am

There may be a few minor differences with things like hit detection, otherwise, they all play the same, seriously. There is no real strategy involved that seperates the characters because the fighting engine limits you so much to ethier dodge or charge your oppenent.
Do you know about the cancel combos? After some of the normal combo sequences, during the last attack, the charachter may have a punch/kick which can be charged up. You can cancel the charging up by pressing block, and attack the enemy before he recovers from the impact of your last attack, cotinuing the combo.

Other utilities of cancel combos is for hitting ultimates which have "combos" which aren't really combos for their activation. That means that the opponent can block those supposedly combos, making them useless. But, with cancel combos, if you side-step instead of blocking, you may go to the back of your oponent, and, in that position, any sequence will hit the enemy without problems, so, you may use any ultimate, even the ones which normally are useless.

Cancel combos are different for almost every charachter, even some who are clones of each other(though it's usually only one of the clones having all the CC of the other, and some extra ones).

Also, Budokai 2, balanced? Visit the Budokai 2 Boards in Gamefaqs. There's a huge thread there talking about tiers.

Budokai definitly is no Soul Calibur, Tekken, Virtual Fighter, Street Fighter or King of Fighters, but it's no trash.
Actually, I only remember jumps and ducking in DB, I don't think they were used in DBZ...
Last edited by Neon Z on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:15 pm

Whee, the return of the 'Kay-o-ken'. *groan*

-Corey

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:30 pm

I mean, look at it... it's... BEAUTIFUL!!!! The ENTIRE WORLD is explorable! I never even dreamed of that. I hope they have landmarks in the appropriate places where, if you know the map from Daizenshuu 7 (is that where it is?), you can easily find the Kame House, Korin's Tower, the World Tournament ring, and (apparently, from the HTC stage) Kami's Lookout!!
I guess EGM was right... more fighting games will use a MK Deception Konquest-style Story Mode.

And concerning depth on fighters, I don't care how "deep" it is, it has to be fun for me to play it more than 10 minutes. Of course, I'm not entirely sure what "depth" is in fighting games despite having played them since SFI's release in '87 or whatever. I mean, they say Soul Calibur II is one of the deepest, but yet I find even Mortal Kombat 3 and Street Fighter II to be more complex fighters.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:20 pm

S, I think they mean that Soul Calibur II is more deep story-wise... but yes, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II are deeper in content.

Izlude
Regular

[quote="Neon Z"][quote]There may be a few minor di

Post by Izlude » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:59 pm

Neon Z wrote: Do you know about the cancel combos?
Yes, I know ALL about them, and they are extremely cheap/cheesy, allowing you to do infinite combos/Full Life Combos, at least in Budokai 1. I havent tested it out for myself in 2 since I dont have a PS2 anymore. But you can basically wail on someone all day if you know what your doing, and this sort of thing is commonly disappointing to see. And people wonder why Budokai 2 wasnt at Evolution 2004...
Neon Z wrote:Also, Budokai 2, balanced? Visit the Budokai 2 Boards in Gamefaqs. There's a huge thread there talking about tiers.
There are barely any "tiers" when every character is essentially, the same. Dont listen to those guys at gamefaqs boards, they are nubz. A tier decides how effective a character is in a fight, and how they match up with other characters. In Budokai you just cant form up any tiers because everyone plays exactly the same.

Although might I suggest, rather than going to GameFaqs, check out Shoryuken- www.shoryuken.com <--- The place for fighting games.
Budokai definitly is no Soul Calibur, Tekken, Virtual Fighter, Street Fighter or King of Fighters, but it's no trash.[/quote[

True, its no SC, Tekken, VF, SF or KOF, but the fact is we have had DBZ fighters with better gameplay than this old rehashed engine. Budokai is an astounding looking and sounding game, but it plays poorly. I've tried to convince myself that Budokai is a tight fighting game, but I was lying to myself, its just not fun playing a fighting game where matches end in under 30 seconds to a minute, a few button presses give you dozens of multiple hits, and you sit back watching the cinematic battle situations.

But, it will no doubt sell and get mixed reviews, as the last two installments did.
Actually, I only remember jumps and ducking in DB, I don't think they were used in DBZ...
You need to watch or read more DBZ ^^

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:41 pm

For the love of god, please create a new thread concerning the game mechanics and the fighting engine ^^;;
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:47 pm

Tenshinhan got a special intro against Vegeta in B3... :D Though Vegeta didn't get one against him...

Tenshinhan: You're still on Earth?!
Vegeta: I'm the prince of all Sayans!

About creating another topic... I don't think this discussion will be long, don't worry.
Yes, I know ALL about them, and they are extremely cheap/cheesy, allowing you to do infinite combos/Full Life Combos, at least in Budokai 1. I havent tested it out for myself in 2 since I dont have a PS2 anymore. But you can basically wail on someone all day if you know what your doing, and this sort of thing is commonly disappointing to see. And people wonder why Budokai 2 wasnt at Evolution 2004...
In Budokai 2, they were toned down, though rather artificially. Later hits, even in medium sized combos, do almost no damage. That cut off the number of one hit kill combos, though it's still possible with 1 or 2 capsule set ups for a few top tier charachters, IF the other player isn't using any defensive capsule.
There are barely any "tiers" when every character is essentially, the same. Dont listen to those guys at gamefaqs boards, they are nubz. A tier decides how effective a character is in a fight, and how they match up with other characters. In Budokai you just cant form up any tiers because everyone plays exactly the same.
Budokai has MANY clones. True. But not everyone plays the same. Even if we forget about any differences about the simple attacks/combos, the cancel combos are different, and they are the definying factor in Budokai 2's tiers. Charachters with good set ups, and ultimates are infinitly better than Super Buu, who needs two combo strings to finally launch an ultimate, and has almost no cancel combos.

Even in Budokai 1, just play with Goku, Vegeta, Yamcha, Teen Gohan, Piccolo, Freeza, and Cell. You'll see that each one of those charachters has completely different combos, though it's true that there are many clones. Vegeta's moveset is shared by Tenshinhan, Mr. Satan, Trunks, #17, #18...
Although might I suggest, rather than going to GameFaqs, check out Shoryuken- www.shoryuken.com <--- The place for fighting games.
I go to those boards, though I rarely post (Smashz is my nick there). It's usually a good place, but the last B2 discussion that I saw there, they claimed that Kid Buu is Budokai 2's best charachter, based on his size and speed, ignoring the cancel combos, which is stupid.
You need to watch or read more DBZ ^^
No, I don't. You need to do it. The only time that jumps/ducks are used in dbz are either:

1-Flying upwards a few rare times, not jumping.

2-Theorically, while dissapearing and reappearing behind the other fighter, though the viewer is unable to see the movement, so it's unconclusive.

If they really are used a lot, give me five examples.