Vegeta/Vejita?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Vegeta/Vejita?

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:02 am

Silly question. In drawings and possible nametags in the anime, how is Vegeta's name spelled? Is it Vegeta or Vejita? Or even Vegita?

Kind of like how when Toriyama wrote out Goku's name, it was always spelled Gokuh.

With the exception of Goku Jr. who spelled it without the H. Which is weird since in the same series, Goku's spacesuit has the H.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 am

I belive it's actually Begeeta a good deal of the time.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Re: Vegeta/Vejita?

Post by jda95 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:07 am

Toriyama hadn't decided what romanizations to use. Goku is the most common these days, but Gokuh and Gokuu are still seen (Also, in filler, Goku was spelt 'Gokuu').

To be honest I don't remember Vegeta's name ever being written in English. So I didn't really answer your question at all. :(

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:14 am

I knicked this from an old post by Olivier Hague, but he listed all the alphabet spellings for Vegeta that he'd found on official Japanese merchandise as: Vegeta / Begeta / Bageta. His complete list of official alphabet spellings for characters can be found here, if you scroll most of the way down.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:17 am

Herms wrote:I knicked this from an old post by Olivier Hague, but he listed the all the alphabet spellings for Vegeta that he'd found on official Japanese merchandise as: Vegeta / Begeta / Bageta
I would so mispronounce that as "Baggetta." Doesn't that just paint the funny mental image...

I think we can all agree there's only one universally accepted way to write Vegeta's name: 'BADMAN.'

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:20 am

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:I think we can all agree there's only one universally accepted way to write Vegeta's name: 'BADMAN.'
Agreed. :lol:

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:00 am

Herms wrote:I belive it's actually Begeeta a good deal of the time.
Wow.
Still not nearly as surprising as "Yama" for Enma Daiô. Now I'd like to know how that happened. While I guess it does make sense, in a twisted way, most Japanese kids probably went "huh?"

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:33 pm

jda95 wrote:
Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:I think we can all agree there's only one universally accepted way to write Vegeta's name: 'BADMAN.'
Agreed. :lol:

And here is why.... http://www.bloodofasaiyan.com/images/wa ... %20man.jpg

Was I the only person who thought Bulma was really mean giving him the horrid lime yellow/green trousers? The Badman logo... So true. Vegeta should have released his own brand it would rival Adidas! :P
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:38 pm

saiyanprincess wrote:And here is why.... http://www.bloodofasaiyan.com/images/wa ... %20man.jpg

Was I the only person who thought Bulma was really mean giving him the horrid lime yellow/green trousers? The Badman logo... So true. Vegeta should have released his own brand it would rival Adidas! :P
And yet, no video game has ever had Badman Vegeta as a playable costume... :cry:

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Rocketman wrote:
saiyanprincess wrote:And here is why.... http://www.bloodofasaiyan.com/images/wa ... %20man.jpg

And yet, no video game has ever had Badman Vegeta as a playable costume... :cry:
It's soul destroying isn't it :( And yet they have how many different costumes for Son Goku!
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:23 pm

bJi:tta in Saiyanese (you guys are probably like "yeah... okay...." but whatever) - sounds quite close to how his name is said in Japanese. I'll be making a YT video on this sometime..
Last edited by SaiyaMel on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just Saiyan...

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Re: Vegeta/Vejita?

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:45 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:Silly question. In drawings and possible nametags in the anime, how is Vegeta's name spelled? Is it Vegeta or Vejita? Or even Vegita?

Kind of like how when Toriyama wrote out Goku's name, it was always spelled Gokuh.

With the exception of Goku Jr. who spelled it without the H. Which is weird since in the same series, Goku's spacesuit has the H.
I would have loved the “Vegita” spelling but that ship has sailed and I think it would have halted the whether his brother’s name is “Tarble” or “Table” argument.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:49 pm

I am pretty sure the spelling, "Vegeta" is the most common. But I think I see Vejita and Bejita fairly often as well.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 pm

I'm happy with "Vegeta". Older spellings like "Bejita" or "Vejita" make me think of old-school fanfics from waaaaay back in the early 2000's, so I'm ok with those too. :D

My favorite "Goku" spelling is "Gokou", but I never use it. ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm happy with "Vegeta". Older spellings like "Bejita" or "Vejita" make me think of old-school fanfics from waaaaay back in the early 2000's, so I'm ok with those too. :D

My favorite "Goku" spelling is "Gokou", but I never use it. ^^;
G O K O U (sorry, it keeps word filtering it to Goku) is a weird one. Wouldn't that be pronounced Goko?

Personally, I don't think names need to be spelled in a particular way to make sure people say them right. My surname isn't pronounced as it's written. It's like how Pioneer changed Aeka's name to Ayeka in Tenchi Muyo, it's a little condescending in a way, like "They wouldn't possible understand if it was pronounced this way but written this way".

That's why I'm okay with Table. It matches Vegeta that way, which seems to be the most common spelling for Vegeta's name.
Last edited by Bussani on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:05 am

Gokou is pronounced the same as Gokuh. It's like with the English word "caribou". My mom even spelt it that way because that's how she though it would be spelt since it's pronounced "goh-koo".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."