What happened to animal characters in late DBZ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What happened to animal characters in late DBZ?

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Now I am referring to the humanoid animals that could talk and stuff (and no Oolong and Puar don't count).

But what happened?

In DB, and pre-Trunks Saga DBZ, there were many humanoid animals to be seen in the public, but starting in the Android Saga, it becomes basically ALL humans. Sure, we get the occasional filler animal character, such as the boar in the Great Saiyaman Saga, but that's about it.

I believe this to be a HUGE plothole in DBZ, unless there's an answer. Is there?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:32 pm

The general consensus is that the Dictator killed them all.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Re: What happened to animal characters in late DBZ?

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:32 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:Now I am referring to the humanoid animals that could talk and stuff (and no Oolong and Puar don't count).

But what happened?

In DB, and pre-Trunks Saga DBZ, there were many humanoid animals to be seen in the public, but starting in the Android Saga, it becomes basically ALL humans. Sure, we get the occasional filler animal character, such as the boar in the Great Saiyaman Saga, but that's about it.

I believe this to be a HUGE plothole in DBZ, unless there's an answer. Is there?
In an interview, Toriyama said that he forgot about them later on in the series. President/King Dog was around all the way into GT.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:33 pm

Economic downturn was blamed on them. Genocide resulted.

OR

As the series continued, Akira Toriyama just felt like drawing them less and it, perhaps, detracted from such otherworldly things like aliens and demons when you have animal people running around.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 am

Maybe most of them migrated to a uninhabited island where they formed their own bipedal-animal society.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:07 am

Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:Maybe most of them migrated to a uninhabited island where they formed their own bipedal-animal society.
Been watching “The Island of Doctor Moreau” much?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:22 am

The show got slightly more serious. Dragon Ball is ridiculous as a whole really, if you're going to have SUPER SERIOUS DRAMA VEGETA'S LIFE IS HORRIBLE FREEZA IS DIABAWLICAWL TRUNKS YOU GOTTA SAVE DA FUTURE DAWG, the least Toriyama could've done is remove the animals to help people take it more seriously.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:00 am

I like to go with genocide :lol:
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:10 am

Wait, I think I know.

-Saiyans eat a lot.
-Vegeta has no qualms about eating sentient beings.
-Animal people vanish around the time Vegeta moves to Earth.

Conclusion: Vegeta ate them all.

Horgus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Horgus » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:24 am

Buu turned them into chocolate and ate them, and since animals don't have souls to begin with, they were never resurrected by the Dragon.

Yasai-R-Mighty
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yasai-R-Mighty » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 am

Yes, all very good theories especially Rocketman's, but what if in fact there were never any animal people, instead it was just the fashion for a time, to go around dressed in animal costumes? :shock:
[Insert mind blowingly cool quote here]

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:26 am

What about they were all visiting the moon to gather some mooncheese when it was blown up?

Personally I liked the idea by Rocketman about Vegeta eating them all. :P That certainly sounds quite accurate, I don't see him as much of a vegetarian (With the exception of the egg rolls at the tournament and the last scene of the special. :) ) Now if they were all walking talking fish people, I would put the blame straight away onto Goku.
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

nikko

Post by nikko » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:39 pm

Rocketman wrote:Wait, I think I know.

-Saiyans eat a lot.
-Vegeta has no qualms about eating sentient beings.
-Animal people vanish around the time Vegeta moves to Earth.

Conclusion: Vegeta ate them all.
:lol:

I guess that Akira Toriyama forgot them on purpose, since the Cell saga gravitated towards a more serious/scientific tone... and that's no place for the Beagle Boys! :P

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:10 pm

Explanation to Rocketman's theory, and why I hold it most accurate:
Vegeta was seen eating a humanoid creature when being on a planet, prior to heading to Earth.
He was probably told not to harm humans when he resided at Capsule Corp.
But they said nothing about the animals, so he decided to eat them as a snack whenever he was hungry.
As Saiya-jins eat a lot, this lead to extinction of the animals, because of that he ate the women and children first, being the Saiya-jin warrior he is.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Yasai-R-Mighty
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yasai-R-Mighty » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:52 am

Wojak wrote:Explanation to Rocketman's theory, and why I hold it most accurate:
Vegeta was seen eating a humanoid creature when being on a planet, prior to heading to Earth.
But they said nothing about the animals, so he decided to eat them as a snack whenever he was hungry.
As Saiya-jins eat a lot, this lead to extinction of the animals, because of that he ate the women and children first, being the Saiya-jin warrior he is.

.....but fortunately Earth's King was some how spared from becoming part of this "smorgasbord board"! :P
[Insert mind blowingly cool quote here]

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:01 am

Yasai-R-Mighty wrote:
Wojak wrote:Explanation to Rocketman's theory, and why I hold it most accurate:

.....but fortunately Earth's King was some how spared from becoming part of this "smorgasbord board"! :P
That was because of that Vegeta could relate to him because of that they both had royal blood, and that both of them were ruling their own planet.
It was a close call when he was to eat Earth's king, and the King shouted "I am the king, don't kill me!". Thus he spared his life.

Later Vegeta and Piccolo drank a couple of cold ones and laughed at the stories they had with the King, since both of them had threatened the King.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!