Big Green dub - Movie 8 and Bardock Special

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:09 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Adamant wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: *sighs*
Still not getting it, are you?

Yes, this dub is awful. It's horrible, it's a mockery of the series, and I can't see how anyone can actually find it enjoyable beyond it's "so bad it's good" qualities. That's also the case with the FUNi dub, and I feel really sorry for Americans and Europeans alike, having recieved such an awful "reimagining" of the series.

And since no one seems to have a problem mocking this dub as the abomination it is, I don't see why there should be a problem doing the same with the equally bad FUNi dub.

Whee.

(or, in simplified terms, you're being kind of hypocritical here)
Except we already went over in page 1 or 2 how when the Funi Dub WAS bad in Season 3 and part of Season 4, it was still Mozart compared to this. I'll repeat myself:

Old Funi dub is bad.
Big Green Dub sounds like an Abridged Parody

I'd rather have a bad dub than something that sounds like its from Abridged.
Personally, I'd rather just watch it in Japanese with subtitles for enjoyment, watch the Big Green dub for laughs once in a while, and pretend the FUNi dub doesn't exist. :P The Big Green dub is really only a problem with the movies anyways, for the TV series the UK got the ocean dub for Z, and dubs of Dragon Ball and GT by Blue Water Studios which were a lot more faithful to the Japanese version then the FUNi dub is.
­

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:54 pm

Taku128 wrote:and dubs of Dragon Ball and GT by Blue Water Studios which were a lot more faithful to the Japanese version then the FUNi dub is.
Funimation was pretty faithful in both DB and GT. But any way about the Big Green Dub here, I truely couldn't stand to listen to more than a few seconds without skipping around.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:00 pm

Gozar wrote:Funimation was pretty faithful in both DB and GT. But any way about the Big Green Dub here, I truely couldn't stand to listen to more than a few seconds without skipping around.
Both DB and GT had quite a number of liberties taken through out their dubs.

Take Goku vs Kuririn. In the original, we see everyone's amazed at the two fighting evenly with "Mezase Tenkaichi" playing in the background and Roshi admiring how much his students have progressed.

In the dub, while there is no music, Roshi looks on and thinks "It should be a law to have wild hair."

This is one of those things where DB's dub had talking where there shouldn't have been any. Another instance was Goku preparing to storm the Red Ribbon Army. The dub kept the insert song, but had the narrator talking over the ENTIRE DAMN SCENE.

GT's dub tried pushing the idea that the series was "hardcore dark", especially with the way the narrator in that spoke. Another thing worth noting is how all three dubs have their own narrator, when the original had just one.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Adamant wrote:Who said the UK fans were? :P
No one. How could they be, with dubs like that? That was the whole point: I feel bad for them given it’s all they have to choose from.
B wrote:Ooooh shit~

Thanks, I was hungry.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:08 pm

Yikes. I think it's shots like those that are a testament to why the movies are better off cropped.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Yikes. I think it's shots like those that are a testament to why the movies are better off cropped.
But then you wouldn’t get the sense of just how much food Gokū is able to stuff in his mouth…

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Gozar wrote:Funimation was pretty faithful in both DB and GT. But any way about the Big Green Dub here, I truely couldn't stand to listen to more than a few seconds without skipping around.
Both DB and GT had quite a number of liberties taken through out their dubs.

Take Goku vs Kuririn. In the original, we see everyone's amazed at the two fighting evenly with "Mezase Tenkaichi" playing in the background and Roshi admiring how much his students have progressed.

In the dub, while there is no music, Roshi looks on and thinks "It should be a law to have wild hair."

This is one of those things where DB's dub had talking where there shouldn't have been any. Another instance was Goku preparing to storm the Red Ribbon Army. The dub kept the insert song, but had the narrator talking over the ENTIRE DAMN SCENE.

GT's dub tried pushing the idea that the series was "hardcore dark", especially with the way the narrator in that spoke. Another thing worth noting is how all three dubs have their own narrator, when the original had just one.
Yeah, the three narrator thing sucks, espicially since Hebert gets the most attention of the three (I wish Armstrong did more narration). :cry:

Alas, can't change it now, can we?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:59 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Yikes. I think it's shots like those that are a testament to why the movies are better off cropped.
Cropped on the sides or on the top and bottom?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Yasai-R-Mighty
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Big Green dub - Movie 8 and Bardock Special

Post by Yasai-R-Mighty » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Ah so...Bardock's physic visions aren't completely accurate, I mean don't recall Vegeta, sucking the helium from a balloon, before fighting with Goku. Man that flashback seen was priceless! I'm guessing they decided you use the same voice actor, that was playing kid Vegeta, to dub the flash back scene with?
Taku128 wrote: Don't get me wrong, I think FUNi's dub is horrible too. The thing is the FUNi dub isn't laughable bad, it's just bad.
I'd have to disagree, I think FUNimation is mondo funny. :P
[Insert mind blowingly cool quote here]