DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:56 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:As of yet, no one has had a voice pitched up or down except for the Oozaru.

And now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR0ZpULwiVg&fmt=18
Looks like I beat ya' to it Nekster. :)
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:58 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:As of yet, no one has had a voice pitched up or down except for the Oozaru.

And now:
True!

But MINE had an answer to your question. ;3
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:02 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:

And now:
True!

But MINE had an answer to your question. ;3

*Froths at mouth* :cry:
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:10 am

So, I believe it was confirmed that the season finalé would be a three parter, and with a tops of ten minutes allowed we're looking at 15-30 minutes worth of finalé right there. I wonder if some of the fighting will almost be akin to a serious dub.

I can't wait to see how Son and Vegeta play off each other.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:11 am

Man! I just can't wait to see how they're going to make this serious part funny. They've really impressed me so far with what they've done. It's inspiring, really.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:48 am

Bah, studies and twitter (mostly twitter) have been keeping me from the forums! Anyway, I know it's been a while, but lemme just say that the latest episode did not disappoint.

- Vegeta's scream after having that nosebleed was just awesome. It (almost) makes up for not including that one cut scene of Vegeta having a screaming fit at Nappa's incessant "are we there yet?"s.

- During the Destructo Disc scene, I was so sure Vegeta was gonna say "It's a trap" in reference to that one Star Wars line. Glad I was proven wrong.

- Sorry to sound even more outta the loop, but what's Nappa referencing when he says "you-a make-a me so mad." I know I've heard it from somewhere else before. As for Nappa's "laser," I honestly didn't mind it. As mentioned when interviewed in the podcast, they've got to keep a good balance between mainstream and hardcore audiences. As long as that balance is kept with the jokes, then I'm fine with 'em being in the show.

- Gotta say that I was not expecting Gohan's "other side" to be that prominent in the series. The way my friend that's been following the abridged series (but not the actual series; meh) took it, he really thought Gohan was suffering from multiple personalities in the series. With that in mind, lemme be the first to suggest that Gohan have some kind of weird dialogue with Lunch in later episodes on how to control both sides. It'd be a great way to introduce her into the series.

- Gohan actually had quite the number of lines this episode for once. In other episodes, I wasn't really able to develop an opinion of his VA, since his lines were few and far between, but after this episode I can now say that Masako's Gohan is great. You can actually tell his age in it, unlike in certain other dubs.

- Piccolo's death was very... weird. Since it's a parody, stuff like Piccolo's inner thinkings were hilarious. But to have that stuff combined with Gohan's "sad lines" just seemed a bit off. I get that TFS wants to give Piccolo's death the respect it needs, but it just seems so weird to attempt to combine that with some comedy. Really, though, it's nothing major. If anything, I shoulda expected stuff like this to make its way into the series.

- Mr. Popo... aw geez. I doubt even TFS knew they'd be using the closeup on his eyes this many times. I showed my neighbors the episode, and their favorite part had to be with Mr. Popo.

- Ah, nice use of the "Nappa's Big Day" movie ad :P.

- "...or was he never there to begin with?" Best line in the episode. The series in general makes really good use of "stock" sound clips, especially for hokey dramatic effect (falling crab, anyone?).

- Aw, poor Nappa. If memory serves, he was killed in the original just for being weak, right? I think it was a nice touch to rewrite that but so he died for having killed Piccolo. That always seemed like the more logical reason to me. Like many others, I'm curious as to how the humor will be spread out among the surviving characters. While I'm sad that Nappa won't be around to bring up the lols, I'm also kinda glad. For a sec, I was afraid Nappa would just take over the show completely. Looking through the comments, people are wondering if the next Nappa (based on the casting, I'm sure) will be Ginyu. As mentioned, I doubt TFS is gonna be that formulaic. While it'd be great to have Nappa come back as some kind of spirit, I think I've already had my share of his character for a lifetime. Nappa's character through the abridged series seems to have really remade the character for a lot of people. Just looking at that one tribute video, you can really tell he was a fan favorite (and it helps that the video's timing was actually well done).

Ooh man, can't wait for the three-parter. You guys refer to the episodes as the season finale. Does this mean you guys will be having some kind of season break or are you guys just using "season" as a way to separate the story arcs? I'm guessing it's the latter, since the former doesn't really make sense, considering you guys aren't on a solid schedule... at least not on one that I can see.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:17 am

And now:

Waaaii~! X3

Excellence. Can't wait to see it, you guys are awesome!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:21 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:
- Gohan actually had quite the number of lines this episode for once. In other episodes, I wasn't really able to develop an opinion of his VA, since his lines were few and far between, but after this episode I can now say that Masako's Gohan is great. You can actually tell his age in it, unlike in certain other dubs.
What other dubs were you thinking of? :twisted:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:Is MasakoX's Gohan his natural voice? I mean, not pitched up or anything. If it is his natural voice, then awesome. That's probably the best child voice I've heard from a man.
Nah, his natural is basically a British Gokû. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2xBluDakuY&fmt=18
He... sounds so familiar... Also, he doesn't even sound like Goku, so a British Goku? :?

Joey Batz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Joey Batz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Great episode! It was definitely worth the wait, though I'm already incessantly checking youtube for the season finale. I can already see it (shamelessly plugs lame jokes):

Goku: "Let's continue our battle somewhere else, Vegeta. I wouldn't want these hills to be damaged in our battle."

Vegeta: "Fine, Kakarrot. As you wish."

Goku: "Thanks. It may take us awhile to find a great place to fight. Humanity has spread to all corners of the globe so quickly. Globalization, information technology, urban development, no matter where we go, civilization is always right--"

Vegeta (standing in the wasteland ready to fight Goku): "How about here?"

Goku: "Uh, yeah. That's good."

Vegeta: "Kakarrot, you should be pleased. Low class warriors like yourself never have a chance to fight an elite."

Goku: "Don't sell us low class fighters short, Vegeta. With enough training, even a low class fighter can defeat a member of the elite. Didn't I just defeat your friend?"

Flashback of scene from the Bardock special with Kid Vegeta and Nappa with hair.

Nappa: "Hey Vegeta. Y'know that stuff the Saibamen shoot out of their heads? Raditz told me he puts that in his hair and that makes it grow so long!"

Vegeta: "Nappa, that stuff is acidic."

Nappa: "That means it would grow faster, right?"

Back to present day.

Vegeta: "I wouldn't put too much stock in that, Kakarrot."

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:29 am

Joey Batz wrote:Vegeta: "Kakarrot, you should be pleased. Low class warriors like yourself never have a chance to fight an elite."

Goku: "Don't sell us low class fighters short, Vegeta. With enough training, even a low class fighter can defeat a member of the elite. Didn't I just defeat your friend?"

Flashback of scene from the Bardock special with Kid Vegeta and Nappa with hair.

Nappa: "Hey Vegeta. Y'know that stuff the Saibamen shoot out of their heads? Raditz told me he puts that in his hair and that makes it grow so long!"

Back to present day.

ROFL :XD: That would be AWESOME :p Is that your own joke?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:06 pm

And something you need to fix in the fight... Goku throws the first punch! Careful editing needs to be done so we can see Vegeta throwing the first punch, so we can view Goku as the hero still!

Okay, yeah, probably best not to. :P

Oh, I love Joey Batz' jokes, and could really see them working. :D

But I'm sure what you guys have will be great aswell!
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Joey Batz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Joey Batz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:35 pm

worldmonsters wrote:
Joey Batz wrote:Vegeta: "Kakarrot, you should be pleased. Low class warriors like yourself never have a chance to fight an elite."

Back to present day.

Yeah actually. Wow, I'm glad 100% of the comments so far that have followed my jokes have been overwhelmingly in favor of them :)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:47 pm

Joey Batz wrote:
worldmonsters wrote:

Back to present day.

Yeah actually. Wow, I'm glad 100% of the comments so far that have followed my jokes have been overwhelmingly in favor of them :)
Haha, yeah, all 2 of them!

Make that three, I thought they were funny, too. :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:23 am

I didn't knew there was a thread for DBZA :roll:

I liked all the episodes and the extras thrown here and there.

But... so far, there are two jokes I have yet to fully understand them. The "Pecking Order", and the "Too soon"

Kaizer, I'll send you an idea for an "in-between episodes" clip later, so be sure to check it. :wink:

One more thing before I go... I tried to download "Hii..." and "It's coming..." from Keepvid, but it can't be downloaded at all... Is it just me or it happened with others?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:34 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I didn't knew there was a thread for DBZA :roll:

I liked all the episodes and the extras thrown here and there.

But... so far, there are two jokes I have yet to fully understand them. The "Pecking Order", and the "Too soon"

Kaizer, I'll send you an idea for an "in-between episodes" clip later, so be sure to check it. :wink:

One more thing before I go... I tried to download "Hii..." and "It's coming..." from Keepvid, but it can't be downloaded at all... Is it just me or it happened with others?
Watch episode 4 to understand the Pecking Order joke. The Too Soon joke is that Krillin keeps making jokes about atrocities that are far too recent.

And please, guys, don't keep making and sending ideas. We're not going to use them and, what if we have a similar joke idea that you're giving? We're still going to use it and people are going to think THEY came up with it, which just flat out won't be the case.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:46 am

Krillin: Welp, at least Vegeta died for a cause. And here I thought he was STONE cold.
Goten: KRILLIN. TOO SOON.
Krillin: Wait, aren't you supposed to be knocked the f*** out?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:21 am

KaiserNeko wrote: Watch episode 4 to understand the Pecking Order joke. The Too Soon joke is that Krillin keeps making jokes about atrocities that are far too recent.

And please, guys, don't keep making and sending ideas. We're not going to use them and, what if we have a similar joke idea that you're giving? We're still going to use it and people are going to think THEY came up with it, which just flat out won't be the case.
I watched it times to times, but I don't understand how it's supposed to be used as Popo wants to. :?

You don't want people to send ideas... I think you should make a video to tell that to the viewers like how you don't want anyone outside the team to voice a character ((see what I did there? :lol: ))

As for the too soon joke, I always thought it was releated to Kuririn's death by Freeza later in the series considering it usually get mentioned when someone dies.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:30 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I think you should make a video to tell that to the viewers like how you don't want anyone outside the team to voice a character ((see what I did there? :lol: ))
To be perfectly honest...

No. :?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:32 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I watched it times to times, but I don't understand how it's supposed to be used as Popo wants to. :?
It means Popo outranks them. He's at the top of the 'pecking order'.
As for the too soon joke, I always thought it was releated to Kuririn's death by Freeza later in the series considering it usually get mentioned when someone dies.
Nah, it's like... If the Titanic had just sank last week and you said, "What do you get if you cross the Atlantic with the Titanic? About half way," everyone would probably gasp. It was too soon.