Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:27 pm

:lol: people think the legend of chun li is better than DBE? LOL you guys just made my day.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:52 pm

I think all the haters are causing some kind of bizarre mass hysteria. Seriously people it's only a god damn movie, and it's decent.

"This movie made me physically ill" NO
"I felt like stabbing my eyes out and swirling my brain" DOUBLE NO

Can people please, for the love of god, stop over reacting to the extreme. I have never seen such immaturity in my life.

And I am tired of reviews like this.

"I love dragonball, but I knew the movie was going to be different so I went in with an open mind. But even then it was horrible, I mean, Roshi wasn't old enough, Bulma didn't have blue hair, GOD GOKU WAS NOT JAPANESE, this movie is a failure, 1/10"

This is 90% of the reviews out there. People claiming to be unbiased but then immediately proving other wise. Absolutely disgusting. I agree the movie isn't great, but it's at least a 4 out of 10. It is nowhere near a 1.

Oh, and by the way, this outrage isn't necessarily being directed toward people here, I just get so mad reading IMDB's message board! I really should stop going on that.

It has a much more reasonable average on Watch Movies, out of 2447 votes it has a 6.3 average, on IMDB out of 1712 it has a 3.6 rating.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Yeah, those kinds of people are just not worth listening to. At least some of us aren't acting like this movie is giving us colon cancer or that it's the worst thing we've ever seen. I mean, I've sat through 4Kids' One Piece dub, I've seen Contact and Twister, I've seen Garbage Pail Kids and one of the genre movies that comes out every year.

DBE is a bad movie for several reasons, but it's not something that'll start a war. If anything, DBE's a little worse than Godzilla '98. That's about it.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Tsukento wrote:Yeah, those kinds of people are just not worth listening to. At least some of us aren't acting like this movie is giving us colon cancer or that it's the worst thing we've ever seen. I mean, I've sat through 4Kids' One Piece dub, I've seen Contact and Twister, I've seen Garbage Pail Kids and one of the genre movies that comes out every year.

DBE is a bad movie for several reasons, but it's not something that'll start a war. If anything, DBE's a little worse than Godzilla '98. That's about it.
I'm glad you and me finally agree on something.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:54 pm

omegacwa wrote:You mentioned the special effects being not up to par with "today's standards" well, I hate to break it to you, but no movie's CGI is as good as Jurassic Park 1 which came out in 1993. How terrible is that?
Funny you should say that. I just watched JP again on HBO last night and kept thinking, "I actually bought into this CGI as a kid." It's nowhere near on par with LOTR's Gollum. Anyways, after seeing DragonBall Evolution, I should say that it isn't all bad. But it is BAD. The production values just seem so friggin poor during some parts. I've seen TV shows that look more like a film than it does. That being said, the movie was short, which definitely helped it feel like an Okay movie. It's like: You can't have too much of a good thing...but in reverse.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:58 pm

masenko wrote:
omegacwa wrote:You mentioned the special effects being not up to par with "today's standards" well, I hate to break it to you, but no movie's CGI is as good as Jurassic Park 1 which came out in 1993. How terrible is that?
Funny you should say that. I just watched JP again on HBO last night and kept thinking, "I actually bought into this CGI as a kid." It's nowhere near on par with LOTR's Gollum.
That's one of very few exceptions. But Gollum looked good because there was an actor there, they just went over him with CGI.

Most CGI looks fake no matter what, in all honesty I prefer practical effects. But the days of movies having that is pretty much over.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Some new stills have popped up... one featuring Goku driving a car..!! XD

Driving
Chatku holding a DB
Lord Piccolo
Master Roshi
Mai & Piccolo
James Wong & Justin Chatwin
Bulma

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:08 pm

I've watched Evolution. It's far from ever reaching my collection of "Really Bad, nigh 'ma eyes are bleeding'" movies, aka my Uwe Boll collection + 4 (make it 5 once Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li had reasonably priced used DVDs). It's far from those edited One Piece, and Cardcaptors singles I have. And it's even farther away from those low budget CBC TV movies from the 90's.

Is DragonBall Evolution good? No.

Is DragonBall Evolution terrible? No.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Bura wrote:Some new stills have popped up... one featuring Goku driving a car..!! XD

Driving
Chatku holding a DB
Lord Piccolo
Master Roshi
Mai & Piccolo
James Wong & Justin Chatwin
Bulma
:lol: @ the Bulma pic. Harry & Milo's Avatar Emporium? I'm really starting to think these filmmakers would have rather made an Avatar movie.

Tenshinhan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenshinhan-san » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Yeah, you saying that makes it a fact. But let's say for the sake of this argument that you are right and 1993 Jurassic Park had, in fact, the best special effects to this date.

That still doesn't excuse that the effects in DBE look worse than the ones we've seen in Transformers, the X-Men movies, the Spider-Man movies, the LOTR Movies, the new Hulk movie just to name a few. Yeah some of them had a bigger budget, but most of them are also somewhat older and had a more expensive cast.

Some effects in DBE look downright awful; Oozaru looks terrible - when he changes back they even recycle the animation from the transformation (making him change back in perfectly tucked in gi n stuff LOL) , Shenlong looks terrible, Ki looks waaay too much like smoke/fire and nothing like it should look. When Goku is attacking Gohan with a flying kick (right before the shadow crane strike) the wirework looks so bad it makes 80's Hong Kong movies look professional.

Sorry for my rant, but all these examples just kept popping up in my head while I was typing, lol
Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Is DragonBall Evolution good? No.

Is DragonBall Evolution terrible? No.
Does your opinion apply to everyone? No.

Do I think DragonBall Evolution is terrible? Yes!

Except for the names, is this movie anything like DragonBall? HELL NO!

Does that make it even worse? To me it does!

In conclusion, let me add that I was firmly supporting this movie for the last 18 months and gave it a serious chance (you can read earlier posts of me on various other DBE related forums if you don't believe me), but after I saw it I was simply shocked at how bad it was. I never expected that. There were things that I didn't like before I saw the movie, but I still thought it would ultimately be a good movie and at least a somewhat decent adaptation. Well, so much for that theory...
Last edited by Tenshinhan-san on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

UMMX

Post by UMMX » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen Goku has something to say....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kHW8EYGH8Y

Now that you watch that do you have anything to say?
This takes me back early 97. I remember those days

http://daizex.db-destiny.net/Daizenshuu_EX_-_Episode_0070.mp3

I remember watch Dragonball on UPN or was in fox back in 1987. It air 4:00am in the morning.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:22 pm

UMMX wrote:Now that you watch that do you have anything to say?
Saw this months ago, and my opinion hasn't changed:

PHAIL.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:32 pm

UMMX wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen Goku has something to say....

At first I thought it was a link to Masako Nozawa during an interview or something. Instead, I see another terrible video from Blunty that I saw months ago. It was terrible then, it's still terrible now.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:36 pm

That video is so annoying. I saw it months ago as well.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 pm

UMMX wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen Goku has something to say....

I imagine Toriyama's reaction was very similar.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:40 pm

Aw geeze the new crop of members here are coming in with the whole "I've got something to prove guize!" mentality. We all saw this coming...
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:44 pm

snaku wrote:I imagine Toriyama's reaction was very similar.
He was actually indifferent about it. He kept to himself and stated it was probably best to look at the movie from a point of view of "Well, this is a different universe for DB."

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Tsukento wrote:
He was actually indifferent about it. He kept to himself and stated it was probably best to look at the movie from a point of view of "Well, this is a different universe for DB."
Sure, that was his public reaction. :P

Tenshinhan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenshinhan-san » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:50 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:Aw geeze the new crop of members here are coming in with the whole "I've got something to prove guize!" mentality. We all saw this coming...
I can't help but feel your post was directed at me specifically. Let me say that I've got nothing to prove, why would I? Me being a "noob" here doesn't make me any less of a member than you does it? I'm just expressing my view and am choosing this forum (among others) to do so.

I was a long time viewer here before registering and this seemed one of the more knowledgeable DragonBall forums so I registered since I wanted to share thoughts with the members here.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:11 pm

masenko wrote:I just watched JP again on HBO last night and kept thinking, "I actually bought into this CGI as a kid." It's nowhere near on par with LOTR's Gollum.
Really?

I'll admit that Gollum's animation was impressive looking, but...while it was good enough for me to ignore that it was CGI and see him as a character, he didn't look real or solid to me. Everything in Jurassic Park, on the other hand, does. To me anyway.

It seems like the better CGI gets, the more obviously CGI it is.
snaku wrote:
Tsukento wrote:
Sure, that was his public reaction. :P
We all know his real reaction was something like, "Son Goku? He was from Chrono Trigger, right?"

More seriously, I think he cared a lot less than people on this forum.