Kai Episode 1 (05 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:18 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Eh, I'm still not fine with the cropping. No matter what you call it, you really can't deny that the frames they're using were made with the intention of a 4:3 frame. They "fix" a few frames here and there, but overall I prefer the original aspect ratio.

Also, people seem to say "it's Z" and "it's not Z" whenever it's convenient. It *is* Z when you want to say that the same thing is available in 4:3 on the Dragon Boxes, but it's NOT the same when talking about whether or not cropping is bad. It's Kai, so the "original" framing doesn't exist. It just sounds ridiculous to me.

This doesn't mean Kai sucks, but it does mean that there is an aspect of its production that I am by no means happy with.
That's another reason why I compare it to the manga. If I compare it to the anime then, yes, it does look weird and cramped.

Yes, I am a manga purist. But, I did watch most of DBZ as an anime even after I started mostly looking at it as a manga. Nowadays, though, I've looked at both versions and prefer to compare Kai to the version I hold most dear.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:43 am

Kanzentai folks, your episode comparisions DBZ and DB Kai are truly magnificient to read =) Keep up the great work.

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:Do not forget about Piccolo's wrist which is green. The animators probably ran out of colors while drawing the scene.
Except "painting" nowadays is almost all done digitally. I'm not even sure if TOEI Japan still has manual cel painters anymore.

More likely the paint-checker missed that frame during his/her checking duties.