Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
B wrote:Christopher R. Sabat's SOULLESS performance(in comparison to the heavenly vocal chords of Furukawa-san) in the series will forever cripple Doragon Boru of having a good dub. The script can be so accurate, seven minutes of every episode could be straight Japanese, and Sabat's smokey, unfitting voice would still just RUIN it all.

RUIN IT AAAAAAAAAAAALL
I don't really think he cares what you think. He's worked his ass off in the Dragonball franchise and has plenty of his own fans.
I was joking. I used a rough romanization of "Dragon Ball," referred to Toshio Furukawa as being godly, threw in a smartelic joke about accuracy, and ended the demi-rant in caps.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed May 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Schemmel has probably improved the most out of all the cast members. Going from the Ginyu saga to the Freeza saga in the season sets is a terrible experience. You get used to his great acting, then BAM! Terrible delivery, no heart, just over all horrible acting. All that on top of the bad script.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed May 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Schemmel has probably improved the most out of all the cast members. Going from the Ginyu saga to the Freeza saga in the season sets is a terrible experience. You get used to his great acting, then BAM! Terrible delivery, no heart, just over all horrible acting. All that on top of the bad script.
Even his Cell saga stuff isn't too great in my opinion. The Buu arc is where he gets the hang of his Goku voice and the season one and two redubs are where he masters it for the most part.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 06, 2009 10:22 pm

B wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
B wrote:Christopher R. Sabat's SOULLESS performance(in comparison to the heavenly vocal chords of Furukawa-san) in the series will forever cripple Doragon Boru of having a good dub. The script can be so accurate, seven minutes of every episode could be straight Japanese, and Sabat's smokey, unfitting voice would still just RUIN it all.

RUIN IT AAAAAAAAAAAALL
I don't really think he cares what you think. He's worked his ass off in the Dragonball franchise and has plenty of his own fans.
I was joking. I used a rough romanization of "Dragon Ball," referred to Toshio Furukawa as being godly, threw in a smartelic joke about accuracy, and ended the demi-rant in caps.
Ah, sorry about that. The romanized version can tend to blend together when you read it as fast as I did.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed May 06, 2009 11:12 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:Schemmel has probably improved the most out of all the cast members. Going from the Ginyu saga to the Freeza saga in the season sets is a terrible experience. You get used to his great acting, then BAM! Terrible delivery, no heart, just over all horrible acting. All that on top of the bad script.
Even his Cell saga stuff isn't too great in my opinion. The Buu arc is where he gets the hang of his Goku voice and the season one and two redubs are where he masters it for the most part.
Actually, even some of the Buu saga stuff is a bit shaky. I just watched season 8 and I always remembered him doing well in that saga. But after watching it again, sometimes he just does a line or two that doesn't feel right.

But his Season 1 and 2 redubs are fantastic. All that video game voice-recording probably really helped him stay in character over the years.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 06, 2009 11:18 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:All that video game voice-recording probably really helped him stay in character over the years.
Or get into character in the first place, depending on how you look at it. :lol:
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed May 13, 2009 10:24 pm

So, it's on the shelf at my local Best Buy already... thinking of picking it up, but wanna see an example of quality other than a very blurry-looking youtube video. Does anyone have access to screen captures yet?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 am

I just picked it up at Best Buy yesterday along with the last movies set. I'll be going back to Best Buy later to exchange it for another copy. Disc 3 has some small scratches, and disc 5 has something resembling glue in a ring about half a centimeter wide along the outer edge of the reflective part of the disc. This is the 3rd time I've had to return to Best Buy to exchange one of these season sets (Z season 5, Z season 7, GT season 2, which had ring scratches on one of the discs before I ever put it in my DVD player).

As for the quality, I have an upconvert DVD player attached to a 32" widescreen LCD television via an HDMI cable. Holy shit does it look nice. I know some people don't like the oversaturation, but it never bothered me. I always felt that the Kid Buu episodes were some of the best looking of the series, but they really delivered here.

As an aside, though I know this isn't the thread for it, the movie double feature also looks astounding. Movie 12 is excellent (though I kind of prefer the American BGM for that one), and Movie 13 with the actual Tapion Theme playing throughout is almost flawless (Dragon Fist, Funi, not Dragon Fire). If you've been along for the ride with the rest of them, I wouldn't hesitate to get these two DVD sets. It's nice to have all of the episodes and movies in a consistent format, even if the series is cropped.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Thu May 14, 2009 10:43 am

Hey, I was just watching the Vegito episodes in the season set, and I noticed that Buu's voice seemed different. I compared it to the single, and in fact, the voice seems to be higher pitched. Actually, it sounds more natural. I think what you hear in the season set is the original recording, and the single had the voice pitched down a little bit.

For a point of comparison for anyone else with both available, listen to Buu's line in the episode called "Meet Vegito" toward the beginning right after Vegito says the line beginning with "What do you call a Vegeta and a Goku?" Its definitely different.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu May 14, 2009 10:53 am

xzero wrote:Hey, I was just watching the Vegito episodes in the season set, and I noticed that Buu's voice seemed different. I compared it to the single, and in fact, the voice seems to be higher pitched. Actually, it sounds more natural. I think what you hear in the season set is the original recording, and the single had the voice pitched down a little bit.

For a point of comparison for anyone else with both available, listen to Buu's line in the episode called "Meet Vegito" toward the beginning right after Vegito says the line beginning with "What do you call a Vegeta and a Goku?" Its definitely different.
This could just be another example of them getting rid of the voice filters like how they did with Freeza and 19.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sun May 17, 2009 5:38 pm

Scanning through the thread I saw there wasn't very much in the vein of actual screen caps or a lot of videos from Season 9. I picked it up Thursday and currently viewing it now.

Are there any screen cap requests or questions I could help out with? Keep in mind I don't know much about the redubbing as I only watched a few of the English dub episodes on Toonami as they aired and I'm not really that familiar with lines from the dub either.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun May 17, 2009 5:55 pm

I'm sure I'll pick this up when I can get it for something more along the lines of $20 rather than $30. THe way I figure it, that is what these are worth to me.

I'm sure it's been common knowledge for months now, but I never picked up on it: Does Season 9 have all the original title cards like every other season set?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Haseowolf wrote:Scanning through the thread I saw there wasn't very much in the vein of actual screen caps or a lot of videos from Season 9. I picked it up Thursday and currently viewing it now.

Are there any screen cap requests or questions I could help out with? Keep in mind I don't know much about the redubbing as I only watched a few of the English dub episodes on Toonami as they aired and I'm not really that familiar with lines from the dub either.
Can we get some caps of:

-Mystic Gohan vs. Super Buu (when he first arrives, so I can post comparisons from my Fusion - Ambush DVD)
-Vegetto vs. Gohan Buu
-Goku vs. Kid Buu
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun May 17, 2009 6:20 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:-Goku vs. Kid Buu
Oh sweet Dende, YES. Especially this.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:24 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:-Goku vs. Kid Buu
Oh sweet Dende, YES. Especially this.
Yes, specifically episode 279, when SSJ2 Goku fights Kid Buu.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sun May 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Wow that took a lot longer than I thought. Anyways, I got around to nabbing those screens you guys requested. I hope you enjoy.

EDIT Changed them to links for the sake of peoples' bandwidth. Sorry, I've always seen people wanting lossless PNGs, usually posted straight to the forum. If people want them in other forms, I'll go with the majority.

Episode 263
1Image
2Image
3Image
4Image
5Image
6Image
7Image
8Image

Episodes 269-271
1Image
2Image
3Image
4Image
5Image
6Image
7Image

Episode 279
1Image
2Image
3Image
4Image
5Image
6Image
7Image
8Image
9Image
Last edited by Haseowolf on Sun May 17, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun May 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Jeez, that pic of Vegeta punching his hand seems like it has a pink hue to it.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun May 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Oh wow.

It might be a good idea to turn those into links... they're playing hell with my connection loading them all...

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Sun May 17, 2009 7:53 pm

Looks like FUNimation finally turned the noise reduction filters down. Other than the over saturation, these look pretty damn good. They also seem to have figured out how to encode properly, judging by this shot:
8Image
Can anyone post some Dragonbox or R2 single shots for comparison? I have a feeling that sharpness and detail wise it may be an impossible call this time around.
Last edited by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi on Sun May 17, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Also, glad to see that the Kid Buu episodes look good. They were blurry in the trailer, so I feared that Funi went back to their old process. I'm glad I was wrong.
Cold World (Fanfic)