Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Sun May 17, 2009 8:01 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: *images removed from quote*

Also, glad to see that the Kid Buu episodes look good. They were blurry in the trailer, so I feared that Funi went back to their old process. I'm glad I was wrong.
This may be the first time (and probably the last) time I prefer a FUNimation release to the R2 releases. This set just seems perfect! Why can't they maintain this level of quality with their other releases? With the exception of the first "test-release" Broly Blu-ray and the R2 movies, this is probably the best specimen of Dragonball video-wise in existance.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Wow, those are really... red... I was thinking of picking this one up as it's where my nostalgia lies, but after seeing shots I think I'll pass. This is a step down again x[
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote:

Also, glad to see that the Kid Buu episodes look good. They were blurry in the trailer, so I feared that Funi went back to their old process. I'm glad I was wrong.
This may be the first time (and probably the last) time I prefer a FUNimation release to the R2 releases. This set just seems perfect! Why can't they maintain this level of quality with their other releases? With the exception of the first "test-release" Broly Blu-ray and the R2 movies, this is probably the best specimen of Dragonball video-wise in existance.
My screencaps were from the Funi single. Also, the quality of these releases have been at this level since Season 6.
bkev wrote:Wow, those are really... red... I was thinking of picking this one up as it's where my nostalgia lies, but after seeing shots I think I'll pass. This is a step down again x[
Are you serious?!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sun May 17, 2009 8:15 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote:

My screencaps were from the Funi single. Also, the quality of these releases have been at this level since Season 6.
bkev wrote:Wow, those are really... red... I was thinking of picking this one up as it's where my nostalgia lies, but after seeing shots I think I'll pass. This is a step down again x[
Are you serious?!
Yeah, the sets have been quite good since Season 6 where they kept the grain by turning their DVNR lower and lost the problem with missing lines or Vegeta Bukkake Syndrome.

I think these are really great coming from FUNi, but if they would release a BD version at the same quality as Season 6-9 at 4:3 they'd have my money in a heart beat. I know there are better releases out there, but damn it I love my Season Sets for letting me have the entire series in a compact, decent edition.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 17, 2009 8:16 pm

Oh, I know the quality has improved - less grain reduction, etc. But that doesn't change the fact that the colors are REALLY wacky in this season.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun May 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Haseowolf wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi wrote: This may be the first time (and probably the last) time I prefer a FUNimation release to the R2 releases. This set just seems perfect! Why can't they maintain this level of quality with their other releases? With the exception of the first "test-release" Broly Blu-ray and the R2 movies, this is probably the best specimen of Dragonball video-wise in existance.
Are you serious?!
Yeah, the sets have been quite good since Season 6 where they kept the grain by turning their DVNR lower and lost the problem with missing lines or Vegeta Bukkake Syndrome.

I think these are really great coming from FUNi, but if they would release a BD version at the same quality as Season 6-9 at 4:3 they'd have my money in a heart beat. I know there are better releases out there, but damn it I love my Season Sets for letting me have the entire series in a compact, decent edition.
BD?????
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 17, 2009 9:48 pm

I think they mean Blu-Ray Disc.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sun May 17, 2009 9:49 pm

bkev wrote:I think they mean Blu-Ray Disc.
Right-o! That's usually the acronym for it, IIRC.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun May 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Cant people just say BR? BD doesnt make sense anyway.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 17, 2009 9:55 pm

Hey, I don't get it either. But whatever works works.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun May 17, 2009 10:03 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Cant people just say BR? BD doesnt make sense anyway.
Why doesn't BD for "Blu-Ray Disc" make any sense?

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun May 17, 2009 10:13 pm

Can anyone tell answer this for me. Is there added dialogue in the Dub over the montage of the Forms of Majin Buu right before Goku kills him? Because I know the Ocean Dub had one (Which I hated).

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Sun May 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Have they been selectively cropping in newer sets?

Based on the DBox comparisons, the cropping is not dead-center anymore, instead cropping out unnecessary stuff such as Buu and Gohan's necks. Actually, I prefer the FUNi versions in this instance.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sun May 17, 2009 11:38 pm

I think I speak for everyone here when I say if anything there is one shot I have to see in the new set:

I've been loving these recent sets, but I can't imagine any way Funimation could make this part look decent in 16x9.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sun May 17, 2009 11:57 pm

Levlik wrote:I think I speak for everyone here when I say if anything there is one shot I have to see in the new set:

I've been loving these recent sets, but I can't imagine any way Funimation could make this part look decent in 16x9.
What episode number is that from? That way I can get a screen cap.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:24 am

jjgp1112 wrote:*Bunch of pictures*
Are those second ones from the FUNi 4:3 singles or the R2s? They look like they're from the FUNi singles, but everyone else has been saying they're from the DragonBox, despite you not saying which release it was from.
­

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

He said they were the singles in a later post. :p

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:03 am

bkev wrote:He said they were the singles in a later post. :p
Oh... Well I missed it, so other people probably would have too if not for my post clarifying it... right? .....Right?
­

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon May 18, 2009 1:09 am

Haseowolf wrote:What episode number is that from? That way I can get a screen cap.
I'm not sure on the number, but the screencap is from when Goku is just about to finish off Kid Buu with the Spirit Bomb after getting his ki restored. Everyone in the shot is pretty much saying, "do it, Goku!" just before he gives the final push.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon May 18, 2009 10:14 am

It looks like this: