Canadian Dragonball GT DVD Search...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Canadian Dragonball GT DVD Search...

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:10 am

Hello, did they ever release DVDs in Canada from the Ocean Group dub of Dragonball GT? If so, can someone please link me to a site? I've been hearing that it's better then the FUNimation version and I would like to see for myself.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:26 am

All of Ocean's dubbing was TV only
Where's the beef?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:00 pm

The Canadian GT dub is worse. They just used the Funimation script with in house dubbing, that sucked ass.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:10 pm

I don't see how that's true, since the dub was completed before FUNi's
Where's the beef?

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:32 pm

The Ocean Group's version aired in the UK aswell. It kept the Japanese score and it did not use the Funimation scripts.
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:41 pm

Sunlight & City Night wrote:The Ocean Group's version aired in the UK aswell. It kept the Japanese score and it did not use the Funimation scripts.
Umm... errr.... from what I know and have seen, the Ocean Group dub by AB did not in any way keep the original Japanese score. Heck, they were using recycled Megaman music for a while. And the scripts were verbatim from the FUNimation dub.

Is there some other dub you're talking about... ?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:47 pm

EX.... We're talking about the Ocean/Blue Water GT dub here. It kept almost all original Japanese score, along with rather faithfully translated dub scripts, and only a few minor edits.

The DBZ dub by Ocean was the version that went about recycling FUNi scripts and re-using old Megaman music. That version sucked, but I found some voices to actually be incredibly much better than any choices FUNi would ever make. I'm thinking Buu here.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:50 pm

After episode 238 (dub numbers) some new music was added and it got to be very good. Even with FUNi's script
Where's the beef?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:53 pm

Aaaaahhhhhhhhh, sou sou sou sou. My bad.

People say they dislike FUNimation's Fat Buu... I really like him :).
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:09 am

FUNI's fat Buu wasnt bad, its just his dialouge was awful. Personally I loved Justin Cook's Buu. I thought it was dead on. FUNI did great jobs with the villans. Dameon Clarke's Cell, perfect, Justin Cook's Buu, perfect. Whoever did Dabura and Babidi were great too. Linda Young's Freeza was even improving by the end of the series.

Justin Cook's Buu will always be my favorite dub. I'm just amazed by his stuff in B3.

As for the Canadian GT? It was god awful. I dont know why they didnt just use Funimation's. Their "attempt" to dub Dan Dan was just bad.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:16 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:Justin Cook's Buu will always be my favorite dub. I'm just amazed by his stuff in B3.
Agreed. It's another example of Budokai work making me appreciate some of their choices. It was actually a line in DBZ2 that did it for me...

"I like your head... I THINK I'LL TAKE IT!"

That cracks me up to no end.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:"I like your head... I THINK I'LL TAKE IT!"
Indeed, B2 had some classic lines, that among them. Goku's "No, I'm not particularly praising you for it." is a good one too. It's something I've found rather odd. The voice acting in the games is better in many places than the series....
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:26 pm

The DVDs we have in Canada of GT are all the Funimation version... My boyfriend even rented a volume about a month ago. Are there even DVDs of the Canadian Z dub? I've seen all the Funi DVDs for sale here and that's it. =/ But either way, after watching it on TV, I can't stand the Canadian DB dub. ;_; I miss turning on the TV to Funimation when I lived in the U.S., because it's just better quality acting. At least there's Budokai for that. ^^;

Oh and, it doesn't matter too much since I prefer the Japanese version over anything. But if I'm gonna watch Dragon Ball on local TV... yeah. ><

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:58 pm

VegettoEX wrote: "I like your head... I THINK I'LL TAKE IT!"
Hah, reminds me of Terminator 3 for some reason ^^

CloakBass

Post by CloakBass » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:16 am

VegettoEX wrote:Heck, they were using recycled Megaman music for a while.
Woah.
Seriously?!

You mean the ones from the Ruby Spears Megaman show? Or do you mean the games(I highly doubt this)?! Either way this is awesome. I wish we got some of this stuff instead of garbage rock bands. Falcouner's fine and dandy, but this is the sweetness.