Episode #0183 (12 July 2009)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote: I'll let Meri go into detail if she wants, since she's the one who said it. Like she said on the show, she loathes forums, do I wouldn't necessarily expect a response :P. I'll pass on the word, though.
Yes, I loathe forums, so I'll make this quick.

I've never heard that clip before until Mike played it for me right then and there. And my gut reaction was that it made my skin crawl. It just sounded nasty and awkward. I ain't gonna overexplain myself or justify my opinion. There's no deep underlying reason WHY I didn't like it (and no, it has nothing to do with dubs. There are dub performances that are halfway decent). This clip just totally rubbed me the wrong way.
[url=http://www.templeotrunks.com]http://www.templeotrunks.com[/url]

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Have I ever said I don't understand? I might have... but that wouldn't be accurate :P.

Furthermore, if someone thinks that... excellent. We're not your typical, high-school-age, FUNimation dub fans... so if someone wants to mentally differentiate and categorize us in a way that makes sense to them... NEGATIVE CONNOTATION OR NOT... that's helpful to both us AND them.
Yeah I guess I don't really support that kind of blind categorization, on either side. Maybe that's where I got confused assuming you guys felt the same. :?
VegettoEX wrote:If it's negative, I guess that sucks. Maybe they'll come back. Maybe they'll be suckered in to keep listening just to see how much they disagree with. We caught YOU, didn't we? :P
Yes, but... but... I don't LIKE it when you insult my dub. Waaaaa. 8)

Just for the record, I don't listen to find things I disagree with. That'd be a waste of time, I'd say.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Not to sound utterly lame by taking this position (which it is, but here goes anyway), we're all fans of the same thing, aren't we? With the exception of the AB Group dub which gets points for hilarity anyway or Portuguese singing Ginyu, every version of the series has its own shining points in my opinion.

Up until now I've only seen the English dub. One of my goals with the fandom is obviously to watch it subbed, but I haven't yet because I want to wait until I own the entire series in Japanese because I'm OCD like that (and I may be forced to surrender to the season sets because I need my subtitles). While I believe that yes, the dub does do some pretty ridiculous things that make no sense - Freeza's voice immediately comes to mind - I still have to give props to it because without that dub I wouldn't be into Dragon Ball, or maybe even anime right now, a fandom that has defined who I am as a person. I would've turned out to be a varsity high school football player that didn't get his scholarship and ended up taking drugs on street corners to- okay, maybe that's a little extreme...

So everyone likes whatever version they do. No one here is trying to be elitist, I can recall a few times where Mike has said that he doesn't hate the dub, hell there were a few instances where he praised parts of it. But now for the ultra-lame closing thought - in the end, we're all Dragon Ball fans. ^_^

...except GT. No one ever counts GT.

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Yay Lanipator!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:30 pm

How does not liking the dub make you elitist anyway?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Herms wrote:How does not liking the dub make you elitist anyway?
It doesn't. I don't think anybody really thinks that. It's more or less just people's attitude that cause that reaction.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:45 pm

...you know..

I'm still hearing you mispronouncing his name "Sown Gowku" here.

And yeah, the "fort" excample is a good one. Fort isn't pronounced "fowrt", so why do you pronounce "son" as "sown"?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

tlsmith1963

Post by tlsmith1963 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:23 pm

I was eagerly awaiting the next interview with the DBZ Abridged voice-actors. I love it that they are going with the Funimation version of Freeza. The dub voice is so ridiculous! They should have a lot of fun with the Freeza arc. There is plenty to spoof there. I'm looking forward to Season 2.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:26 pm

In the audio clips, it sounded a lot more like San Goku. The way that many translations do it is Sangoku, and that seems pretty accurate to me...
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:04 am

Kuhan wrote:In the audio clips, it sounded a lot more like San Goku. The way that many translations do it is Sangoku, and that seems pretty accurate to me...
The Japanese /o/ is usually analysed as a pure [o], though to my ears it actually lies somewhere between [o] and the more open [ɔ] (perhaps more so in Kansai than in Kantō). That might be the reason why some foreign-language editions transliterate Goku's surname as "San" rather than "Son".

The English "long o" phoneme is actually realized as a diphthong: /oʊ/ in the U.S. and Canada, and /əʊ/ in England and California. (This is why Mike's rendition of the name still doesn't sound quite the same as the Japanese pronunciation.) The "o" in "fort" is actually the "aw" sound, /ɔː/, but is sometimes analysed as a pure "o" in American dialects that have lost the distinction between "ah" (/ɑː/) and "aw" (/ɔː/), such as Californian and West Canadian.

And there's your daily dose of phonetics.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

anomaly

Post by anomaly » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:22 am

Good one @Char!!!
As cheesy and lame his post may look like, in the end it is right. There is no reason why anyone should be called bad names or do it to others just because he likes/dislikes a specific version of dbz.
No one is perfect so are the different versions of dbz.
Why can't we all be friends!! :roll:

And about the "Sown Gowku" - thing I have to say. This "BurstLimit"-clip sounds so awrkward to me. But hey we german fans have our "version" of Goku. Throughout the whole series db/z/gt and the manga he's called "Son-Goku". Yes fellas, we got the first and last name combined to a single name.... :roll: But hey I grew up with it, I can't imagine a german dub without it...

tlsmith1963

Post by tlsmith1963 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:28 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Kuhan wrote:In the audio clips, it sounded a lot more like San Goku. The way that many translations do it is Sangoku, and that seems pretty accurate to me...
The Japanese /o/ is usually analysed as a pure [o], though to my ears it actually lies somewhere between [o] and the more open [ɔ] (perhaps more so in Kansai than in Kantō). That might be the reason why some foreign-language editions transliterate Goku's surname as "San" rather than "Son".

The English "long o" phoneme is actually realized as a diphthong: /oʊ/ in the U.S. and Canada, and /əʊ/ in England and California. (This is why Mike's rendition of the name still doesn't sound quite the same as the Japanese pronunciation.) The "o" in "fort" is actually the "aw" sound, /ɔː/, but is sometimes analysed as a pure "o" in American dialects that have lost the distinction between "ah" (/ɑː/) and "aw" (/ɔː/), such as Californian and West Canadian.

And there's your daily dose of phonetics.
I'm in California, & I have never thought of us as having any sort of distinctive accent. Maybe it's because our accent is the one you hear a lot in Hollywood productions. I have always thought of our accent as kind of flat & dull. So all of this is kind of surprising. We have similarities at times to Western Canadian or English accents? I had no idea.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:22 am

anomaly wrote:And about the "Sown Gowku" - thing I have to say. This "BurstLimit"-clip sounds so awrkward to me. But hey we german fans have our "version" of Goku. Throughout the whole series db/z/gt and the manga he's called "Son-Goku". Yes fellas, we got the first and last name combined to a single name.... :roll: But hey I grew up with it, I can't imagine a german dub without it...
Hey, it's better than eliminating one of the only Family names ever specified in the series...

Also, I've gotta admit, with a minimal knowledge of the Japanese dub, I think I like Sabat better than Drummond as well, but it IS very close. On a similar note, I never liked Nozawa all that much until Kai, because she was a bit TOO high-pitched for an adult Goku IMHO. I wasn't able to get too far in to the Japanese dub of DBZ because of Nozawa's Goku. I want to get back into the Japanese dub though...
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

Bernhard

Post by Bernhard » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:51 am

Herms wrote:Hey Mike and anyone else who's going to Otakon, I'd like to invite you to try and check out a particular panel, if you have the time. It's called "the Evolution of Anime" and it's being done by Froborr, a person I know from another site, and will be on Sunday I believe. It's about memes and changes in culture over time and whatnot, so it should be pretty interesting. Mention pie and win a booby! Or not.
I'll try to make it, but I won't be able to catch the whole thing because I need to make sure the flyers get handed out in Video 4 for "The Roots of Japanese Anime".

Speaking of Video 4, thought I'd let you know that the Broly trilogy will be in 4:3. I blame you for this, Mike. :wink:

After I discovered that the DBZ movies were all originally 4:3 (albeit "Binbou Vista"), I scoured the used sections of every Suncoast and FYE between central PA and Baltimore (well, figuratively) and found all the earlier movie DVD's except, ironically, the Bardock Special.
Kamen no shita no namida o nugue

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:58 am

Kuhan wrote: Also, I've gotta admit, with a minimal knowledge of the Japanese dub,
Is it really accurate to refer to "the Japanese dub"? Dubbing is the replacement of the original voices with different ones, but for DragonBall the Japanese voices are the original ones. I mean, you wouldn't refer to "the English dub of The Simpsons", would you?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:14 am

Herms wrote:
Kuhan wrote: Also, I've gotta admit, with a minimal knowledge of the Japanese dub,
Is it really accurate to refer to "the Japanese dub"? Dubbing is the replacement of the original voices with different ones, but for DragonBall the Japanese voices are the original ones. I mean, you wouldn't refer to "the English dub of The Simpsons", would you?
For some reason, Dragon Ball is the only anime I've seen people refer to the original Japanese voices as a "dub".

It's usually by idiot fans though, the same ones that say "animes" and "mangas".

I was watching TV late at night the other day when Anime Central turned on, had loads of adverts in-between show casing cosplayers, and they said stuff like "Cosplay is a play on words on Costume Play", the word is "portmanteau", it's not a play on words, if it was a play on words it'd be Postume Clay! And these Postume Clayers kept pronouncing it as ANAMI. This is the difference between anime fans and weeaboos, weeaboos get everything wrong!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 am

Well, they animated the footage first then fit the voices to it in the original, if I recall correctly. That process is known as dubbing, right?

And personally, if I were speaking in context of other dubs of the Simpsons, yes I would refer to the original as the English dub.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:45 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Well, they animated the footage first then fit the voices to it in the original, if I recall correctly. That process is known as dubbing, right?
Dubbing is indeed the process of recording and replacing voices, but when something is the original, you wouldn't refer to it as a dub.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:52 am

Why not? What's so wrong with it? Is it just better to say "the original?"

It sounds appropriate to me. Like I said, I would call the original of any American show, the English dub, if I were talking about various dubs of that show.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:02 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Why not? What's so wrong with it? Is it just better to say "the original?"
Because saying something is a dub implies that it's a replacement of the original voices. That's how the term is almost always used, in my experience at least.