English Dragon Box Release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:30 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote: In all honesty, I very much prefer the Season Set footage over the Dragon Boxes.

I don't really get technical terms, so, while the Dragon Box may have superior remastering, to my eyes, the Season Sets are better.
Just curious, but what type of set-up do you have? I'm not trying to mess with you or anything, I'm just curious. Like I've said, people have different tastes.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:
Rory wrote:Y'know what I hope?
I hope there is no Faulconer track on here, and we finally move past the "hardcore" aspect of Dragonball Z. Both tracks should have Kikuchi's original score, so if anybody imports it, they don't need to be dumbfounded by the god awful music on the "3rd" track.
It'd be a completely pure Dragonball experiance, even if you switch to the dub.
The completist in me wants that track on there regardless of my feelings toward it. It’s been around for too long to just pretend it doesn’t exist. That’s how a lot of us first experienced the show, and I think it’s fun being able to relive that, even if the Japanese score ultimately suits the show better.
You know, as long as the footage is from the DBOX, and the music we get is both Faulconer's and Kikuchi's...

It really will be the complete Dragonball Z expirence, both for the dubbies and the fans of the originals.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Rory wrote:Anybody else a little scared that this won't sell as wildly as the Season Sets, due to it's price and focus on the original, and will perhaps get left in the dark like the Ultimate Uncuts?
Funi's not expecting this to be as huge a seller as the Season Sets. They even marketed it towards the "hardcore" fans. Most of casual buyers probably didn't even notice or care there was cropping or incorrect OP/EDs. They've made their money from the casual market. Now they're reeling back in the hardcore fans that they've lost, and are now appealing to their demographic with these releases.

I gotta say, even though they're still somewhat expensive: The packaging looks beautiful and I WILL own these.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Rory wrote: I gotta say, even though they're still somewhat expensive: The packaging looks beautiful and I WILL own these.
What do you expect, it's the Dragon Box, loL!
Last edited by Krycek7o2 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:34 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Like it or not, the dub music is still A PART of Dragon Ball and it'd be silly not to include it to just to satisfy a few people who hate it.
But it's not a part of Dragon Box which is what they're selling here. Again, I don't mind if it's included, but if they sacrifice any amount of quality to squeeze in any extra junk, then they're idiots.

They spent money specifically for the Japanese masters, I doubt they'll be willing to sacrifice quality for extra dub tracks. It's like buying a specific car with a crazy stereo system, and then ripping the stereo out and throwing it in the trash.
VenomSymbiote wrote:In all honesty, I very much prefer the Season Set footage over the Dragon Boxes.

I don't really get technical terms, so, while the Dragon Box may have superior remastering, to my eyes, the Season Sets are better.
So then why do you want to buy these sets? You should get the season sets if that's what you prefer. There's nothing wrong with liking the season sets...
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:
Rory wrote:Y'know what I hope?
I hope there is no Faulconer track on here, and we finally move past the "hardcore" aspect of Dragonball Z. Both tracks should have Kikuchi's original score, so if anybody imports it, they don't need to be dumbfounded by the god awful music on the "3rd" track.
It'd be a completely pure Dragonball experiance, even if you switch to the dub.
The completist in me wants that track on there regardless of my feelings toward it. It’s been around for too long to just pretend it doesn’t exist. That’s how a lot of us first experienced the show, and I think it’s fun being able to relive that, even if the Japanese score ultimately suits the show better.
I'd love to ignore it completely.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:34 pm

I wonder if we have to order through retailer online stores just like Japanese Dragon Box? Or will it be on Wal-Mart, mall, or other stores?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:35 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I wonder if we have to order through retailer online stores just like Japanese Dragon Box? Or will it be on Wal-Mart, mall, or other stores?
Most likely it will be everywhere. I don't think they will do a Beatles Mono set limited to 10,000. What kind of bullshit is that! Grr...If I miss out I'll be pissed!

Though, something like that would be pretty bad here stateside.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
VenomSymbiote wrote: In all honesty, I very much prefer the Season Set footage over the Dragon Boxes.

Just curious, but what type of set-up do you have? I'm not trying to mess with you or anything, I'm just curious. Like I've said, people have different tastes.
"I don't really get technical terms."

I meant it when I said that. As much as I think I get technology better than anyone else in my family.

I do like widescreen better simply because it looks cinematic. It fits my TV better too. It fills it all the way, as opposed to fullscreen.

And as far as the image goes, like I said, I just think the Season Sets look better.

I will say that one major reason I don't like the DBOX footage is because of all the grain. Sure, it's part of the show, and it can never go away. But, although FUNi wnet over board in removing it, the fact is, they removed a lot of it. And that made the imgae clearer for me. Not only that, but I feel the colors in the DBOX are so... light. Like, the Season Sets have Goku's gi as Red, as opposed to the orange I'm not accustomed to.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:39 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:

I meant it when I said that. As much as I think I get technology better than anyone else in my family.

I do like widescreen better simply because it looks cinematic. It fits my TV better too. It fills it all the way, as opposed to fullscreen.

And as far as the image goes, like I said, I just think the Season Sets look better.

I will say that one major reason I don't like the DBOX footage is because of all the grain. Sure, it's part of the show, and it can never go away. But, although FUNi wnet over board in removing it, the fact is, they removed a lot of it. And that made the imgae clearer for me. Not only that, but I feel the colors in the DBOX are so... light. Like, the Season Sets have Goku's gi as Red, as opposed to the orange I'm not accustomed to.
I disagree with you, but you have your own opnion. I used to adore the old Pioneer discs because it had English only!

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:42 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:

I thought that way for awhile to, but as soon as I saw Dragon Box in action I threw my sets to the fucking store and make over $100 bucks to. Now that we're getting US dragon boxs I can say that FUNimation did something right, even keeping the original packaging!

If they're releasing like the Dragon Boxes, Dragon Ball will be next but as 4 volumes instead of 1 or it could be 2 volumes. Dragon Ball GT will probably be 1 volume.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:43 pm

DBW wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Like it or not, the dub music is still A PART of Dragon Ball and it'd be silly not to include it to just to satisfy a few people who hate it.
But it's not a part of Dragon Box which is what they're selling here. Again, I don't mind if it's included, but if they sacrifice any amount of quality to squeeze in any extra junk, then they're idiots.

They spent money specifically for the Japanese masters, I doubt they'll be willing to sacrifice quality for extra dub tracks. It's like buying a specific car with a crazy stereo system, and then ripping the stereo out and throwing it in the trash.
The dub isn't a part of the Dragon Boxes either. You guys are acting like it'd be some sort of victory if the dub was ostracized from these sets.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Looks like we will be able to own all series with 4:3 ratio :D
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:44 pm

I noticed that we're still only, overall, going to be paying around $560 for all of this by the time it's done as opposed to the $1900-ish that we'd be paying for importing.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:44 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:

To be honest, you should probably save your money. You are accustomed to the season sets and to blow 80 on something you'll not like seems redundant. Just throwing that out there.
Kendamu wrote:I noticed that we're still only, overall, going to be paying around $560 for all of this by the time it's done as opposed to the $1900-ish that we'd be paying for importing.
That about how much I paid for all the boxes. But, then again I bought them on Yahoo Japan.
Last edited by Krycek7o2 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
If they're releasing like the Dragon Boxes, Dragon Ball will be next but as 4 volumes instead of 1 or it could be 2 volumes. Dragon Ball GT will probably be 1 volume.
I have to disagree, I think that there will be two GT sets, 32 episodes each.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:48 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
DBW wrote:

The dub isn't a part of the Dragon Boxes either. You guys are acting like it'd be some sort of victory if the dub was ostracized from these sets.
Because people would have no choice but to watch DBZ without all the added nonsense and rewrites. I know many of you love the dub to death, but it's because of that same dub the show is a joke to many.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:49 pm

Does anyone think that the Disks will be the same? They're pretty much using the exact packaging.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:50 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:The dub isn't a part of the Dragon Boxes either. You guys are acting like it'd be some sort of victory if the dub was ostracized from these sets.
No, infact I hope that it's included. I'm just saying that demanding multiple versions of the dub might be excessive.

FUNimation has already bought the series twice. The reason why they're now purchasing it a third time is specifically for the Pony Canyon remastering process. If they end up doing something to hurt the quality of this (like over-packing the disks, poor encoding, etc.), then they'd have just completely wasted their money.

It's great if they can fit 20 dubs on there, but if any of it sacrifices the product that they're selling (the Dragon Box, aka Pony Canyon's remastering), then they should not include it.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Raki wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
DBW wrote: But it's not a part of Dragon Box which is what they're selling here. Again, I don't mind if it's included, but if they sacrifice any amount of quality to squeeze in any extra junk, then they're idiots.

Because people would have no choice but to watch DBZ without all the added nonsense and rewrites. I know many of you love the dub to death, but it's because of that same dub the show is a joke to many.
Well here's a way for you to not have to deal with the dub.

Wait for it...

It's mind blowing...

DON'T LISTEN TO IT
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler