English Dragon Box Release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:56 am

gallagtor wrote:Holy shit! I'm away from the internet for one day and I miss the biggest Dragon Ball news ever to hit North America.
But it's a great feeling man.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:00 am

Thanos wrote:
I'm just saying, before you all go craigslistin'/eBayin'/Amazonin' your Season Sets you saved all that money for, you really should think about this long and hard.
I'm not thinking long. Dragonbox Z Volume 1 here I come.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:00 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I might be willing to buy Dragon Box for you if you have anything good deal related to Dragon Ball merchadises.
All of us sound like a bunch of greedy, gambling merchants. :lol:
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:00 am

gallagtor wrote:Holy shit! I'm away from the internet for one day and I miss the biggest Dragon Ball news ever to hit North America.

Totally understand the feeling. I wasn't online all day today either and missed the news. I'm tempted to go back and read through all those pages that I didn't because of how long this thread is, but it wouldn't be the same as if I'd been there when the news broke.

It is still amazing news though. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:01 am

Thanos wrote:Maybe that's something you all should ask yourselves: When you've sold all of your sets that you've shelled out $300 for and gotten only half in return, and you go out and buy your first set with only the first 40 or so episodes (and having to wait another few months for the next), after you've drooled over the art and nice booklet, at the end of the day... will you be completely gratified with no sense of resentment whatsoever?

I'd probably go for the Dragon Boxes had I not already purchased the bricks. And I'm not going to buy both; such would cost in the neighbourhood of $800. Just for two sets of the same series. Nuh-uh.

I'm just saying, before you all go craigslistin'/eBayin'/Amazonin' your Season Sets you saved all that money for, you really should think about this long and hard.
Thank you. I'm glad to see that some people are thinking this way.
Pain wrote:Maybe I'll win the lottery and buy out all of the sets, just to be a douche?
14 year-olds can't play the lottery. You lose again. :P
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:03 am

Chuquita wrote:

Totally understand the feeling. I wasn't online all day today either and missed the news. I'm tempted to go back and read through all those pages that I didn't because of how long this thread is, but it wouldn't be the same as if I'd been there when the news broke.

Well, we got the wish, right? Remember in one of the threads, you guys said you wanted to get thread flooded again for old's sake? :lol:
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:05 am

Chuquita wrote:

This happened while I was asleep over in Australia. I wake up to find a fifteen page thread on a Dragon Box release in the US. I post my opinion and go to Yum Cha. Come back, there are fifteen more pages! It's crazy.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:06 am

DBW wrote:
Pain wrote:Maybe I'll win the lottery and buy out all of the sets, just to be a douche?
Kami, damn it all! My plans are foiled once again! And it's all thanks to you inquisitive Daizex members!

email2003 wrote:
We said the same thing about Kai. I'm sure there will be bigger news.......okay, maybe not. :lol:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:06 am

This is pretty much the best release for Dragon Ball Z EVER...

FFFUUUU 4 Months away!

I need to buck up, exercise, I'm so damn out of shape, stay in college, earn my money and buy these sets...

It's putting Dragon Ball Season One to shame!!!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:08 am

Pain wrote:
DBW wrote:
Kami, damn it all! My plans are foiled once again! And it's all thanks to you inquisitive Daizex members!

email2003 wrote:
We said the same thing about Kai. I'm sure there will be bigger news.......okay, maybe not. :lol:
The only hypothetical news I can think of that could possibly even rival the DBox news would be a brand new DB series that has direct involvement by Mr. Toriyama; or a new 2-D full-feature-length animated DB movie by Toei.

I can't imagine either of those scenarios coming to fruition though.
*Wonders if DB's got any special anniversary's coming up*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:12 am

Thanos wrote:Hmm. I don't even know what to think aside from their advertising this as "the definitive collection", when that was exactly the marketing-tag they used for the Season Sets. Weasels, the lot of 'em. :?

I love my Season Sets. I have all of them, and just today got the first Double Feature (Trunks + Bardock) in the mail. My subsequent purchases will likely be the remaining Double Features & Triple Feature.

I originally had a minor gripe with the cropping, but that went away half-way through the first set. The quality seems passable, nothing remarkable, although I didn't really have that much problem with the original quality (even that which was aired on TV didn't bother me). On top of that, it actually looks quite good on my HDTV in widescreen.

As much as I hate to say it, I likely won't be picking up these Dragon Boxes. It almost seems like a brush with fate that I just finished my collection and they're now releasing these perfect boxes :P . Either way, I've watched nearly half of the series on the Season Sets (in original Japanese audio/Simmons subtitles of course), and I can't honestly think of one thing to complain about. I have the entire, (mostly) unadulterated series, episodes 1-291, and I honestly never dreamed I would. I haven't a thing to complain about.

Maybe that's something you all should ask yourselves: When you've sold all of your sets that you've shelled out $300 for and gotten only half in return, and you go out and buy your first set with only the first 40 or so episodes (and having to wait another few months for the next), after you've drooled over the art and nice booklet, at the end of the day... will you be completely gratified with no sense of resentment whatsoever?

I'd probably go for the Dragon Boxes had I not already purchased the bricks. And I'm not going to buy both; such would cost in the neighbourhood of $800. Just for two sets of the same series. Nuh-uh.

This is Dragon Box we are talking about here. If I'm poor enough not to be able to buy Dragon Box, I'd shoot myself. Not literally

I'm loving Season sets, however I'm a collector too. So I would like to purchase Dragon Box without second thought because if I dont, I probably will rgeret myself and resent it for the rest of my life.

I mean look at Season 2 quality. It's horrible! Maybe they can sell Season 1 and 2 and but it. But I wouldn't sell my sets because I love em to death and would die if they are stolen! So that being said, I'm not going to hestitate buying Dragon Box. Here I come. The pool's full of Dragon Box so dive in, guys! :lol:

500,000 copies x $80 = $$$$ for Funimation :lol:
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:12 am

DBW wrote:
Thanos wrote:Maybe that's something you all should ask yourselves: When you've sold all of your sets that you've shelled out $300 for and gotten only half in return, and you go out and buy your first set with only the first 40 or so episodes (and having to wait another few months for the next), after you've drooled over the art and nice booklet, at the end of the day... will you be completely gratified with no sense of resentment whatsoever?

Thank you. I'm glad to see that some people are thinking this way.
Personally I'll be happy to get rid of them. I never really wanted them to begin with and only bought them because I thought this would be it. I know this is a lot of money to throw around but it will serve as a great learning tool for most of us: "Always wait for a better release if one can come".
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:14 am

Chuquita wrote:I can't imagine either of those scenarios coming to fruition though.
Um, the 25th?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:17 am

Chuquita wrote:

I can't imagine either of those scenarios coming to fruition though.
Most likely after they are finished with all 7 Dragon Box releases since that TV Special is kinda part of movies so I would pit it in them. Actually this might be first "Ossu!" to be released using Dragon Box masters since Toei havn't done that before.
jda95 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I can't imagine either of those scenarios coming to fruition though.
Um, the 25th?
I think she meant Dragon Box.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:20 am

Chuquita wrote:The only news that could possibly even rival the DBox news would be a brand new DB series that has direct involvement by Mr. Toriyama; or a new 2-D full-feature-length animated DB movie by Toei.
I can see it now:

News Cast: "Thanks to the EVIL Gen Fukunaga, leader of con artist group, "F.U.N.i.", Dragonball creator Akira Toriyama has been bought buy the evil monopoly, "T.O.E.I.". Now he has to continue drawing Dragonball, forever! Yeah, that's it! The new series will be called Dragonball Forever!"

Toriyama:***Creams His Pants*** Was I even informed?!

Toei: Here's a paycheck. :twisted:

Toriyama: I'd love to. :D

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:21 am

Chuquita wrote:

Yeah, I was here for the initial announcement, but I just go to work and come back and this thread has DOUBLED IN SIZE!!

Holy Crap!!

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:22 am

Chuquita wrote:or a new 2-D full-feature-length animated DB movie by Toei.
Rebuild of DragonBall Z: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) AN EARTHLING

Day-fucking-one!
Raki wrote:Personally I'll be happy to get rid of them. I never really wanted them to begin with and only bought them because I thought this would be it. I know this is a lot of money to throw around but it will serve as a great learning tool for most of us: "Always wait for a better release if one can come".
Huzzah!

This is all I've been trying to say. :D
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:22 am

*ahem* So, Pain... Do we have a deal? I can buy it for you if you gaive me any DB posters, cards, singles, etcs. You pick any merchadises with 6 of em and Dragon Box is yours.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:23 am

email2003 wrote:Well I have a job and I'm glad I didn't decide to buy the G.I. Joe Entire Series Set ($145.00). I bought the $19.99 instead but the Dragon Box is just too awesome. It's like a dream to me still. :P
I just bought the Matrix of Leadership Edition Complete Series for the Transformers. It's like a Transformers DragonBox!

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:31 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:*ahem* So, Pain... Do we have a deal? I can buy it for you if you gaive me any DB posters, cards, singles, etcs. You pick any merchadises with 6 of em and Dragon Box is yours.
I've got nothing that I really want to sell. And the only Dragonball merchandise that I have organized, are my Viz DBZ volumes, but I wanna keep those. Sure, I've got a few posters(Two Posters...Seriously), but I have nothing that can benefit your deal, but thanks, my friend. :wink: