DB Tattoos

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

number18
Beyond Newbie

DB Tattoos

Post by number18 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:31 am

Well, I was looking to round up some new cosplay pictures when I happened upon this delightful forum.

There's a DB tattoo thread and a bunch of neat pictures, specifically the third guy down with his entire back covered:

http://anime.myfavoritegames.com/forum/ ... topic=9954

But...correct me if I'm wrong - does it say "saiyan" in katakana under Goku? As to be pronounced the Japanese way? Poor fellow. :( What is that kanji just below "saiyan"? Can anyone make it out?

Anyway, your thoughts on the DB tattoos? I find the guy's back piece and the other guy's sleeve pretty impressive... but I don't think I'd ever get a tattoo of Dragonball.
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:49 am

o_O

I love DBZ as much as the next fan, but I don't think I'd ever get a tattoo of it, let alone one that covered my entire arm/back.

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:54 am

Yeah, I feel the same way. While I love 18 to death, and I've thought about getting maybe like...some sort of tattoo regarding her, having been such a big part of my life (rp'ing her for like 7 years and all), I just don't think I could do it and be sure I'd still love it years later.

Still, it's really cute to know that somebody out there loves Dragonball enough to pay homage on their SKIN. Haha. :)
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:31 am

Heh...the katakana under his Son Goku image says Saiyan, not Saiya-jin.

Despite how much I love something, I still wouldn't get a tatoo of it. I mean, just imagine waking up in the morning and seeing your arm full of pictures of things. It would really suck if that dude stopped liking DB. Try explaining that to your grandkids.

I think the Kanji is the one for Bu or Mu or something, meaning 'martial' (I think). I don't know, I can't really see the whole thing.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

ChibiKenji
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ChibiKenji » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:50 am

I don't think I would ever get a Dragonball tattoo, and if I did, it'd probably just be something small and sensible like the four-star ball on my bicep or something.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:15 pm

Tatoos? Not me.

There are all those things about the embarrassment of getting a kanji tatoo (or whatever foreign characters) and accidentally having a "typo" permanently in your skin... but I have to say, it seems a lot less important when you've got all that on your back. Really.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:13 pm

Dude, that tatoo on that guy's back mustve hurt like hell. I wonder if that guy has a girlfriend :p. Anyway, the only DB tatoo id ever get would be of Goku's name in Kanji or the four star ball.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:16 pm

What I wonder is how much that back tattoo cost, and how much money that guy had to waste. :lol:

Once, when I was applying for a job at Domino's (luckily never accepted), I chatted with the manager, who had a tattoo of Saiyan saga Gohan on his arm, and a DBZ mug of some sort. The tattoo was very well done, and I tried to chat him up about it, but he didn't say much. Perhaps he was regretting having it done, years later?
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:59 pm

No way am I crazy enough to get my whole back tattooed with an image of DB. But then again I've never been much a tattoo person myself. I just wonder how much that back tattoo hurt after getting it.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:20 pm

For something that takes up that guy's whole back, it's actual not drawn well enough in my opinion. I know, I know. I understand it must be hard to sketch perfectly on skin, but if I'm getting something that big and permanent on me, I'd want it to look as if Toriyama had dropped by my house and done it himself. Of course, the sessions would likely be even longer while he tried remembering how to draw the characters. :lol:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:41 pm

People who get sleeves and their whole backs (or any other large part of their body) tattooed usually have it done over several sessions. First there's outlining and then filling in, and then more outlining and filling in. Hah. It probably took him several sessions to get that whole thing completed, and he probably waited for periods at a time before he got other parts done, for healing time and financial reasons. =shrug=

Anyway, I think it's cute. It has me wondering if the guy's with the sleeve and backpiece just think DB is cool, or if there is some deeper meaning to it for them.. And if the latter, I'd love to know what. :)
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:59 pm

Someone VegettoEX and I knew from back in our college days got a tattoo of SSJ2 Gohan on his ankle. It was kinda badass, but stupid. I think I took a photo of it. I'll have to look around my computer for it.

bluewind

Post by bluewind » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:41 am

tattoos for me sort of chronicles a part of ones life. even if i get a tattoo, it would remind me of a period of my life. in the persons case, the DB tattoo would remind that person of that phase in his or her life. (havent seen the pic yet)

and theres this unwritten rule somewhere that if youre gonna get a tattoo, go big because it lessens the posiblility of you regretting it later on.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:19 am

bluewind wrote:tattoos for me sort of chronicles a part of ones life. even if i get a tattoo, it would remind me of a period of my life. in the persons case, the DB tattoo would remind that person of that phase in his or her life. (havent seen the pic yet)

and theres this unwritten rule somewhere that if youre gonna get a tattoo, go big because it lessens the posiblility of you regretting it later on.
Please be sure to re-read the forum rules, and ESPECIALLY this thread regarding grammar. Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Pipe_Dreamz

Post by Pipe_Dreamz » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:46 pm

I'd never get a tattoo. I can't take pain or needles so... I'm out! :P And I certainly wouldn't want to get a tattoo of something all over any part of my body. As much as a love DB, a tattoo seems too extreme. I'll probably end up regretting it later on.
Meri wrote:Someone VegettoEX and I knew from back in our college days got a tattoo of SSJ2 Gohan on his ankle. It was kinda badass, but stupid. I think I took a photo of it. I'll have to look around my computer for it.
On his ankle!? :shock: That's weird. Wouldn't that be a little hard to go to so much detail on something so small?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:37 pm

Hi there. Ummmmm, I guess you haven't read the forum's rules. Necro-posting is against them here. Plus your avatar is too big. The maximum allowed here is 80x80.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:13 am

ChibiKenji wrote:I don't think I would ever get a Dragonball tattoo, and if I did, it'd probably just be something small and sensible like the four-star ball on my bicep or something.
You too? The four star ball is pretty symbolic. :) That would be pretty much the only DB tattoo I would get. I'm sure as hell not getting any kanji...look at what happened to the poor dude above. :P
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:11 am

That's cool that someone took their fandom that far... I never would. I'm not a big fan of tattoos but if I could choose one thing from Dragonball to get a tattoo of it would definately have to be the Saiyan Royal Family's Emblem! I'm all for subtle references true hardcore fans would recognize!

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:11 am

While they do look cool, I have to admit the 3rd and 4th ones are way over the top. That must have cost quite a bit.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:50 pm

Eric, read the fucking rules.
  • RULE # 2: NO NECRO-POSTING
    If you see a thread has been inactive for a while (weeks, even months)... don't reply to it. What that does is knock it all the way back up to the top of the forum. This confuses myself and other visitors because we've forgotten about the thread, by now, and so it seems like there's this new thread with TONS of posts we need to go through! This is especially hard on moderators because we end up re-reading threads that we've already gone through! If you feel it's really important, don't be afraid to just start a new thread (with its own new discussion). Chances are, if you respond to an old one, we won't know what the heck you're talking about!