Dragon Ball Wikia Shenanigans

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Wikia Shenanigans

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:58 am

Yeah, I KNOW... I know that the wikia is unreliable 80% of the time...

But don't you find some interesting things there? Here's what cought my attension the most:
  • = Goku:
    - Although he is the main protagonist, at some points in the series, Goku is surpassed in strength by Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo and several others.

- In the Pokemon anime series the character Morrison is voiced by Goku's voice actors, Masako Nozawa in the japanese dub and Sean Schemell in the English dub.

- Goku was never the first to fight any of the 3 main villains in Dragon Ball Z. Vegeta fought Frieza first, Piccolo fought Cell and Gohan fought Buu.

=Vegeta:
    - Kazuya Mishima of the Tekken series looks similar to Vegeta and his attitude is also quite similar to Vegeta's. In the animated Tekken movie Kazuya's hair looks exactly the same as Vegeta's.

- Vegeta is usually the main cause of the main villain transformations. First when he urged Frieza to transform so that he may see it, second when he let Cell absorb Android 18, and finally when he pulled Majin Buu's pod out of Super Buu in belief that he may become weaker.

=Freeza:
    - After Frieza is defeated by Goku and injured when Planet Namek explodes, he is salvaged by his allies and is given cybernetic attachments to repair his injuries, and returns to seek revenge. The Same thing happened to "Darth Vader" in "Star Wars".

- The fight between Goku and Frieza was the longest in Dragon Ball Z anime, at 19 episodes.

- Frieza' third form vaguely resembles a Xenomorph from the Alien film series, particularly in skull structure. (In addition, Cooler's final form vaguely resembles a Predator.)

=Kuririn:
    - Krillin Breaks the fourth wall in Broly: the second coming by saying "None of you would have lasted a season without me!"

- Krillin is the only person to come face to face with every form of each main villain (If filler counts) in Dragon Ball Z, he was there when Vegeta first came, he went back to help Goku and saw his Oozaru form.

He was there for all 4 of Frieza's forms (Unless one counts 100% final form as a different form), he tried to fight all forms of Cell, He saw both of Garlic Jr's forms. And was there at the relese of Fat Majin Buu, tried to fight Super Buu and in filler, tried to fight Kid Buu.

=Cell:
    - Cell, despite not being the last villain in the show, is often the final boss in Dragon Ball Z video games such as Budokai, Sagas, Burst Limit, and Super Dragon Ball Z.

- Out of the three main villains, Cell is the only one who doesn't kill Krillin (ironically, one of his other selves is killed by Krillin), and the only one who is killed in a beam struggle. He is also the only one of the three to not be bitten by Goku (Goku bites Frieza's tail and Kid Buu's head).

=Mr. Satan:
    - He and Bee are the only characters who didn't die in the whole series excluding GT, where it is implied that everyone died, except Pan (who is very old at that time).

- Ironically, Mr. Satan gets himself into far more dangerous situations than anyone in the series yet he always come out alive unlike most of the other characters despite being one of the weakest of the Z-Fighters, if not the weakest. Typically, it's his bond with the fat Majin Buu that allows for him to come through, against both the Super and original forms of Buu.

However, it is to be noted that despite the Buu in question having merged with the same Uub (or Majuub) who was out of the count at the time, he manages to survive a kick from Omega Shenron, which even the strongest of the human Z-Fighters should logically be unable to do.

This occurs in a similar fashion to Kid Buu's punch to Satan's nose merely doing enough harm for him to shout in pain.

=Piccolo:
    - According to Toriyama, Piccolo was originally going to fall under Babidi's spell but his editor decided that Vegeta would be a better choice to use in the story since fans would like to see Goku and Vegeta fight again. (reference needed)

- It is interesting to note that, while he only actually dies three times in the Dragon Ball anime series, he comes close to death a number of times.

The first is when Frieza shoots a Death Beam through his chest before killing Krillin (though, he was fairly injured by Frieza's "Crazy Finger Beam" assault before, only to be healed by Dende).

The second is when Kami is weakened by the former guardians during the Garlic Jr. Saga, and Kami is almost killed, which would kill Piccolo Jr. as well.

The third is when Cell breaks Piccolo Jr.'s neck, shoots a hole clean through his stomach, and throws him into the lake.

The fourth is when he is turned to stone by King Dabura during the Babidi Saga, and accidentally shattered to pieces by Kid Trunks later in the Majin Buu Saga.

He is able to regenerate because his Namekian heritage allows him to recover from any injury as long as his head remains intact (much the same way that Cell, who inherited this ability from his cells, can regenerate so long as his core is untouched).

Also, he was badly beaten after a long, hard fight against Goku in the final round of the 23rd World Tournament at the end of the Piccolo Jr. Saga, but Goku allows him to have a Senzu Bean after he ate his own, so that Piccolo may live (contrary to Kami's intention of killing him and himself in order to protect the Earth, one that would thereby deactivate the Dragon Balls).

- Coincidentally, Piccolo and Zoro were seen together during Cross Epoch and they both have the same FUNimation dub voice actor, Christopher R. Sabat.

Ironically, Zoro and Piccolo appear together again in the One Piece and Dragon Ball Kai "Dream 9" promo, yelling that people should watch One Piece after Kai airs.

=Burdock:
    - It is unknown if Bardock was a veteran of the Saiyan-Tuffle war, as his exact age was never given. However, he appears to be around the same age as King Vegeta, so it is plausible that he may have battled in the war, which took place from 720 Age to about 730 Age.

- It should also be mentioned that Bardock was the first anime character to be included in the manga a rare phenomenon even today.

=Gyumaoh:
    -In an episode of the Androids Saga, Ox-King seems to call Fortuneteller Baba his mother.

In the Dragon Ball anime, Fortuneteller Baba displays a motherly panic during the flaming castle event after believing he's been killed. If this is true, then the old fortune-teller is Chi-Chi's grandmother, Gohan and Goten's great grandmother, and Pan's great-great grandmother.

However, it is very likely that he was using a respectful Japanese term for an elder woman which can be construed as "Mother" or "Grandmother". Though, this may be why Fortuneteller Baba has been helping Goku a lot through the Buu era.

And it may also explain the Family's long age expectancy, for example, Ox-King remains alive throughout GT while Bulma's parents seemingly don't, and Pan is still alive at the end of GT being over 100 years old. Although Pan's long life might be a result of having Saiyan genes, being related to Fortuneteller Baba not being a major factor even if they really are related.

If Baba is Ox-King's Mother, then Master Roshi is Ox-King's uncle, Chi-Chi's Great-uncle and so on.
    This also means that Goku could be related to his sensei, Roshi.

=Grandpa Gohan:
    - Grandpa Gohan apparently had an appetite similar to Goku's. In Dress in Flames Ox King comments Goku shares his grandfather's fierce appetite, though since it would later be revealed Goku was a Saiyan this is just a coincidence.

=Maron:
    - Maron has the largest cleavage in the the entire series. :lol:
Last edited by SHINOBI-03 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Interestings notes from the Dragon Ball Wikia

Post by Bussani » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:33 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:- After Freeza is defeated by Goku and injured when Planet Namek explodes, he is salvaged by his allies and is given cybernetic attachments to repair his injuries, and returns to seek revenge. The Same thing happened to "Darth Vader" in "Star Wars".
Darth Vader was injured by an exploding planet?

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:04 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote: - According to Toriyama, Piccolo was originally going to fall under Babidi's spell but his editor decided that Vegeta would be a better choice to use in the story since fans would like to see Goku and Vegeta fight again. (reference needed)
Just when I start thinking DB wiki isn't so bad I stumble upon info like this.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:16 am

Freeza.exe wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote: - According to Toriyama, Piccolo was originally going to fall under Babidi's spell but his editor decided that Vegeta would be a better choice to use in the story since fans would like to see Goku and Vegeta fight again. (reference needed)
Just when I start thinking DB wiki isn't so bad I stumble upon info like this.
They got that from Super Sonic Warriors 2... :x
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Interesting notes from the Dragon Ball Wikia

Post by Herms » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:02 pm

Maybe I'm being blinded by my sheer hatred of the DB wikia, but I didn't find many of these to be too interesting. Particulary the notes of similarities with characters from other series, since you could go on like that forever, depending on how loose you set your idea of a similarity (this guy's hair looks like Vegeta's! Mecha Freeza is like Darth Vader...sorta).
- In the Pokemon anime series the character Morrison is voiced by Goku's voice actors, Masako Nozawa in the japanese dub and Sean Schemell in the English dub.
This is kinda interesting, though.
- Goku was never the first to fight any of the 3 main villains in Dragon Ball Z. Vegeta fought Freeza first, Piccolo fought Cell and Gohan fought Buu.
So Vegeta wasn't a main villian?
-Vegeta is usually the main cause of the main villain transformations. First when he urged Freeza to transform so that he may see it, second when he let Cell absorb Android 18, and finally when he pulled Majin Buu's pod out of Super Buu in belief that he may become weaker.
It seems to me that this is the sort of thing that ought to be incorporated into the main body of the article, and not listed as a piece of trivia.
- Krillin Breaks the fourth wall in Broly: the second coming by saying "None of you would have lasted a season without me!"
Oh yeah, dub quotes that don't make sense. Would someone tell these people that DB doesn't have seasons?
- Cell, despite not being the last villain in the show, is often the final boss in Dragon Ball Z video games such as Budokai, Sagas, Burst Limit, and Super Dragon Ball Z.
So in other words, Cell is the final villian in games that stop at the Cell arc. Good to know. Well OK, Super DBZ doesn't fall into that category, but still.
- Out of the three main villains, Cell is the only one who doesn't kill Krillin (ironically, one of his other selves is killed by Krillin), and the only one who is killed in a beam struggle. He is also the only one of the three to not be bitten by Goku (Goku bites Freeza's tail and Kid Buu's head).
"Of the three main villians"? So again, apparently Vegeta doesn't count. And they don't even say "three main villians of DBZ", so apparently nobody in DB counts as a main villian.
- According to Toriyama, Piccolo was originally going to fall under Babidi's spell but his editor decided that Vegeta would be a better choice to use in the story since fans would like to see Goku and Vegeta fight again. (reference needed)
This is false.
- It is interesting to note that, while he only actually dies three times in the Dragon Ball anime series, he comes close to death a number of times.
That's...not terribly interesting. It certainly doesn't warrent the absurdly long paragraph that follows, at any rate.
- Coincidentally, Piccolo and Zoro were seen together during Cross Epoch and they both have the same FUNimation dub voice actor, Christopher R. Sabat. Ironically, Zoro and Piccolo appear together again in the One Piece and Dragon Ball Kai "Dream 9" promo, yelling that people should watch One Piece after Kai airs.
That's not what "ironic" means, but OK.
- It should also be mentioned that Bardock was the first anime character to be included in the manga a rare phenomenon even today.
"Rare even today"? Well, inasmuch as the manga ended over a decade ago, I guess it is pretty rare even today for anime characters to appear in the manga. And for the record, Barduck is in fact the only anime character to ever be included in the manga, so I've got no idea what they mean by implying that there were others.
-In an episode of the Androids Saga, Ox-King seems to call Fortuneteller Baba his mother. In the Dragon Ball anime, Fortuneteller Baba displays a motherly panic during the flaming castle event after believing he's been killed. If this is true, then the old fortune-teller is Chi-Chi's grandmother, Gohan and Goten's great grandmother, and Pan's great-great grandmother. However, it is very likely that he was using a respectful Japanese term for an elder woman which can be construed as "Mother" or "Grandmother". Though, this may be why Fortuneteller Baba has been helping Goku a lot through the Buu era. And it may also explain the Family's long age expectancy, for example, Ox-King remains alive throughout GT while Bulma's parents seemingly don't, and Pan is still alive at the end of GT being over 100 years old. Although Pan's long life might be a result of having Saiyan genes, being related to Fortuneteller Baba not being a major factor even if they really are related.
If Baba is Ox-King's Mother, then Master Roshi is Ox-King's uncle, Chi-Chi's Great-uncle and so on.
This also means that Goku could be related to his sensei, Roshi.
Paragraph breaks: use them, at work and play. Anyway, this whole wall of text is completely useless without giving an exact episode number and citing the actual line. Then you'd have to determine if this line were dub-only, and if it appeared in the manga (which it didn't).
- Grandpa Gohan apparently had an appetite similar to Goku's.
Apparently? Based on what?

I probably shouldn't be posting when I'm grumpy.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Don't trust Wikipedia, anyone can change it around...but go Krillin, I didnt realize we was there with like EVERY villian.

But give him some credit, he only died twice [in DBZ] and the second time, everyone in the Lookout died with him.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:12 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:... and finally when he pulled Majin Buu's pod out of Super Buu in belief that he may become weaker.
Oh, great! They think Chibi Buu is stronger than Shin Buu.
Herms wrote:And for the record, Barduck is in fact the only anime character to ever be included in the manga, so I've got no idea what they mean by implying that there were others.
Didn't South Kai appeared first in the Anime than in the Manga?

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:Didn't South Kai appeared first in the Anime than in the Manga?
No, though South Kaio does appear earlier in the anime storyline than the manga storyline, due to his appearance in the afterlife tournament story arc. But South Kaio first appeared in either chapter 426 or 427 (I can’t quite remember), which came out on June 28th and July 5th, 1993. Meanwhile, South Kaio first appeared in the anime in, what, episode 195? 196? These episodes aired July 28th and August 11, 1993. Closer to his manga debut than I thought, but still a bit later.

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:56 am

Eh, most of those are kinda weak. I actually came up with some trivia of my own a few years ago:

Namu vs. Ranfan is the only Budokai battle in which both characters are not pre-established.

Trunks is the only character who fights Cell in all three of his forms.

Mr. Satan does in fact die in GT.

Tenshinhan, despite his original dream to be an assassin, never kills a single sentient being (in the manga, at least).

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:03 am

WhatTheDarn wrote:Trunks is the only character who fights Cell in all three of his forms.
He never fights second-form Cell, does he?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:05 am

WhatTheDarn wrote:Mr. Satan does in fact die in GT.
When?

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:05 am

Well, he tries to fight him after he absorbs #18, but Cell puts up a barrier so he can transform in peace. Basically, it's like blocking a punch. I'd say that counts.

RattleMan

Post by RattleMan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:06 am

Herms wrote:
WhatTheDarn wrote:Trunks is the only character who fights Cell in all three of his forms.
He never fights second-form Cell, does he?
Only briefly to stop him from trying to absorb #18.
Under construction.

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:07 am

Bussani wrote:
WhatTheDarn wrote:Mr. Satan does in fact die in GT.
When?
At some point during the final 100-year gap.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:08 am

Bussani wrote:When?
The narrator says that everyone but Pan had died in the 100 years between the battle with Baby and the GT special
WhatTheDarn wrote:Well, he tries to fight him after he absorbs #18, but Cell puts up a barrier so he can transform in peace. Basically, it's like blocking a punch. I'd say that counts.
I don't know, seems like a stretch. And Cell is already visibly between forms at that point, if I remember right.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:22 am

"- According to Toriyama, Piccolo was originally going to fall under Babidi's spell but his editor decided that Vegeta would be a better choice to use in the story since fans would like to see Goku and Vegeta fight again. (reference needed)"
Sigh... if only... that would have been way cooler than the tired out "I MUST DEFEAT MY RIVAL EVEN IF I CHEAT" thing Vegeta had going.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 am

Herms wrote:The narrator says that everyone but Pan had died in the 100 years between the battle with Baby and the GT special
Oooh, right.

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:31 am

Here's an interesting one I only just learned the other day from the wiki (yes, it has proved useful once):

Chronologically, the last known event in the Dragonball timeline is the hatching of Caterpy (Is that a dub name only?) in the year 1967, a good 1070-odd years after the fight between Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr..

That is, assuming FUNimation's "1200 years" number was accurate. I can't find any information from the Japanese version on such an obscure character.
Last edited by WhatTheDarn on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

RattleMan

Post by RattleMan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:39 am

WhatTheDarn wrote:Here's an interesting one I only just learned the other day from the wiki (yes, it has proved useful once):

Chronologically, the last known event in the Dragonball timeline is the hatching of Caterpy (Is that a dub name only?) in the year 1967.

That is, assuming FUNimation's "1200 years" number was accurate. I can't find any information from the Japanese version on such an obscure character.
South Kaio says "sen ni hyaku" at this point which is 1200. His name in the Japanese version is pronounced "Ka-ta-pi".

Also, Herms, Trunks begins fighting second-form Cell about two minutes ago Episode 159's title card.
Under construction.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:41 am

RattleMan wrote:Also, Herms, Trunks begins fighting second-form Cell about two minutes ago Episode 159's title card.
But only in the anime, right?