Is there censorship in the Shonen Jump?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:21 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:I guess they went back on their promise to real fans and decided to cater to kids of the "Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon dub trail of thoug
Such a shame.

Gouki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:52 pm

But are the graphic novels censored in these stupid ways?
... Maybe later.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:10 pm

Gouki wrote:But are the graphic novels censored in these stupid ways?
Yes.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:31 pm

The graphic novel only titles don't have censoring from what I've seen, but I could be wrong because I only read Rurouni Kenshin and Bleach. The mangas featured in the SJ magazine keep the edits that were made when they're printed as graphic novels. So yeah, "Hercule" is in the GNs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:46 pm

Kenshin gets its own share of complete mis-translations and numerous typos to rival censorship any day of the week, though :D.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:09 am

I just noticed, on page 332 in the March 2005, you can see #17 reaching for his gun. XD VIZ is lazy. :D

Scan and post, EX.

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Kenshin gets its own share of complete mis-translations and numerous typos to rival censorship any day of the week, though :D.
Yes, I saw the typos. You'd think that a "professional" company like Viz would catch these things but no. The sad thing is, the typos are becoming more and more prevalent as the volumes go on.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:09 pm

Heritic wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Kenshin gets its own share of complete mis-translations and numerous typos to rival censorship any day of the week, though :D.
Yes, I saw the typos. You'd think that a "professional" company like Viz would catch these things but no. The sad thing is, the typos are becoming more and more prevalent as the volumes go on.
What volumes are the typos you speak of in? I've only read as far as vol. 7 so far. As for other things not censored, Ranma isn't though the purists may have a problem with it being read from left to right.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:19 pm

If you're reading Viz's Kenshin and haven't seen any typos, you're definitely not reading very carefully. Or they've gone back and released fixed versions.

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:55 pm

Super Sonic wrote:What volumes are the typos you speak of in? I've only read as far as vol. 7 so far.

Volume 2: Page 124. I would look for more but I'm too lazy. :P

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:41 pm

Yeah, I've noticed them typos as well. I thought at first they were just small mistakes, but they continued and became more prevalent. Viz's grammar also doesn't sound too good...it's not bad, but there are times when characters say something you know they wouldn't say (i.e. sentence structure, vocabulary...).

Mmm...the last post I'm making in this house....
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:09 am

Heritic wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:What volumes are the typos you speak of in? I've only read as far as vol. 7 so far.

Volume 2: Page 124. I would look for more but I'm too lazy. :P
I hust saw that in my copy of vol. 2. I have to say that I never noticed that before actually. That's happened to me a few times in American comics as well, but in my initial readings of them, I didn't notice them.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:45 am

Meh...maybe DBZ will be fully uncut when it gets out that Shonen Jump magazine and goes to becoming a monthly GN series (They better re-print the earlier volumes again just for the hell of it if they do). Rurouni Kenshin and Bleach get treated a helluva lot better than most of the SJ titles in the magazine do, even if their are typos here and there, but I don't think its too bad, we all make mistakes. Hell, I've seen worse from Tokyopop >_>

I am kinda wondering though, who is doing all the editing work/adaption writing these days for DragonBall Z? Last time I checked, they changed around the people I think, but I don't think that could effect things much.

Seems like to me IMO ever since Shueisha and Viz partnered up, they have been becoming more hardass on the Shonen Jump magazine titles. I don't know if its due to soccer mom complaints or tightening of trying to keep that "teen" rating...but jeez...I kinda wish they could at least keep the consistancy straight if they were to edit things out. But it's nothing like Viz at all, Viz is usually badass at these things...but then here comes Sheuisha and Shonen Jump and its like, just badly inconsistant.l

Honestly though, I think Shonen Jump should be scrapped and all the titles should go straight to GN format, no censorship, just true to the original, like how the real Viz works and how every other company handles manga. SJ started off as a good thing, but the tighter Shueisha's control gets, the worse SJ gets as a whole the way I see it. This is what happens when Japanese companies try to "do the right thing" in running American media publications! Exactly what happenend to Raijin Comics trying to push the whole weekly format idea!

Let me tell you though...and I WILL say this...this same exact scene with 17 and the old guy... it was kept inact in the EDITED DUB! What the hell???
Last edited by Izlude on Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:38 pm

This is probably wrong, but as for the bad grammar in RK, that might be due to the characters themselves. A lot of them speak in rough dialects (like Sanosuke). *shrug*

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:24 pm

They also cenored a middle finger in the February Issue (Page 216 I think)
NeverRamza wrote:How terrible... Back a long time ago I remember telling myself I'd probably pick the entire series up sooner or later just to have in my collection. The manga is awesome and I'd be nice to marathon it all over a few nights sometime. From all these stupid changes though, it won't be this version anymore. The little things all really add up.

I'll probably just snag the kanzenban someday if I ever see them for cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/searc ... 64-7991116
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:26 pm

Shit, they're out of print already?

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:27 pm

How much you want to bet we'll see an "DragonBall Z Ultimate Uncut Edition" manga re-release in the future? =3
Yakakahwgakuyahwahkaywha... SON GOKU aywahakauywakaauwyaga SUPER SAIYAN wauaywjkahsajhweyawah MANGA wjayswjasuywahagawaha
:shock:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:15 pm

At least you can still buy the regular Japanese Manga.
How much you want to bet we'll see an "DragonBall Z Ultimate Uncut Edition" manga re-release in the future? =3
More like “Dragon Ball Z Uncut Flash Manga”
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:29 pm

Heh heh, you mean that animated shit with the elevator music and Goku's dangling balls.
Izlude wrote:Let me tell you though...and I WILL say this...this same exact scene with 17 and the old guy... it was kept inact in the EDITED DUB! What the hell???
That's because 17 didn't shoot the geezer in the dub. The manga is way more graphic and brutal. Then again, that is with any manga. Even Fist of the North Star. Y'know, that show with exploding heads and whatnot.
Kid Buu wrote:They also cenored a middle finger in the February Issue (Page 216 I think)
The one from 2004 and if by "a" you mean four then yes...yes they did. I felt jacked after seeing that. That feeling where you go "Damn! People just don't know what they're missing."

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:41 pm

Why don't they want people to know that he died? I mean, dying is something FUNi would censor.