How often do you read Dragon Ball manga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

How often do you read Dragon Ball manga?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:47 pm

I know a lot of us here have volumes of Dragon Ball manga, but how often do you read Dragon Ball manga?

I read Dragon Ball pretty much every day. That sounds pretty obsessive, I know, but sometimes when I'm bored, it's enjoyable to just whip out a manga volume and entertain myself by reading through it and looking at the wonderful Toriyama art inside. A good portion of it is to do with the pictures. Somedays I just can't be arsed to use my imagination in non-picture books. :lol: It's usually night-time reading material nowadays, though.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Pretty much every day. Toriyama's art, especially in the early volumes, just pulls me in and I wind up reading late into the night. In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't put my tankoubon collection RIGHT in front of my bed.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:11 pm

I got all 42 Viz volumes on my shelf and I just grab a random one and get hooked on reading a few times a day.

I think I'll grab one right now!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:22 pm

Sheesh, from 2004 to 2007 I must have read the entire series up through the Cell Arc a dozen times, then as each of the volumes after that came out I would read them several times over.

But nowadays they just stay in the closet. My DB obsession comes in cycles, and I just had a long downtime. Right now I'm focused on the Dragon Box anyway.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:27 pm

I read through the first 3/4 VIZbigs about a month ago. Aside from that, I haven't, really.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:35 pm

When I'm spending my long hour on WC
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:51 pm

Whenever I buy one.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:54 pm

All the time. I'm desperately trying to get a job for the holidays right now so I can finally get my grubby hands on Z VizBig #5.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:40 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:All the time. I'm desperately trying to get a job for the holidays right now so I can finally get my grubby hands on Z VizBig #5.
Do so, it smells delicious.

That new paper smell...

...but yeah, I read it quite often myself (although right now I'm in the thick of rerereading Naruto).
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:12 am

I've only got 29 issues and five of them I haven't read at all yet. The rest of them I've really only read once :? I have reread the 23rd Budokai issues... maybe twice besides that and I flit through the issues that have Piccolo re-fusing with Kami and the destruction of Dende's village fairly often but that's skimming more than reading. I have three Kanzenban for the Daimaou battle/23rd Budokai and I page through them a lot but that's just because the printing's so damn gorgeous, I can't actually read the Japanese.

In all honestly I use them mainly as reference and collect them out of duty as a fan. I've 'reread' my doujinshi dozens and dozens more times than the original manga. The anime just means so much more to me than the manga does.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:08 am

I often read them whenever I'm bored, or when I need a stated line to prove someone wrong.

Out of the entire 42 volumes, I've only read about 30 of them, while skimming over the others. I haven't read all of the DB volumes.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:12 am

Almost everyday. Manga is much quicker to read than watching the anime... and easier to obtain.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:53 am

I reread the entire series at least once a year. I love the anime, but the manga is much less time consuming.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I got all 42 Viz volumes on my shelf and I just grab a random one and get hooked on reading a few times a day.

I think I'll grab one right now!
I'm pretty much the same. I have the complete 42 Viz volumes as well as the entire 42 tankoubon in Japanese. I pick up a random one and read through it all the time. The only time I ever read with a goal is when I read a few chapters to refresh myself on what I should be seeing in the upcoming Kai episode.

My girlfriend also reads them, but not that often. I'd say a couple years ago is when she last read them. The other day we got into a discussion about Chaozu's deaths while watching the DBox so she decided to refresh her memory on the whole sh'bang by reading the manga from start to finish again. She's on volume 6 or 7 right now.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:09 pm

I'll probably read all 42 volumes at least 4 times a year. I tend to go without reading them for a couple months and pick up one just to read that single volume. One turns into the rest of the arc, rest of the arc turns into rest of the series, and rest of the series turns into rest of Toriyama's works that I own.

It's a really fun, unintentional cycle. :D
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

AndoKomando

Post by AndoKomando » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Whenever I am bored and remember. I have it all them on my computer in Japanese which also helps me practice reading so it's all good.

RogueA007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RogueA007 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:30 pm

I use the Japanese tankobon to try and keep my rusty Japanese reading skills (somewhat) less rusty, so when I have the time I find myself reading the manga.

Recently because I don't own any of the tankobon which fall in the "Dragon Ball Z" era, I've also been looking through my small English volume collection to compare the original art to how the staff at Toei handled it in Dragon Ball Z. Just for kicks. Obviously it's hard to beat the original. :P

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:07 pm

Sometimes I tell myself I'll only read a few pages, but I end up reading an entire volume.

Man, I love this series. :D

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:11 pm

These days, I read one volume once a month.

Yep!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Nice plug. :wink:

I've actually only read the manga up to when Radditz appears (and have only watched DBZ and GT, so I have my experience split neatly between manga and anime). Buying the whole manga is one of those things that I've meant to do for ages but keep putting off. One of the main reasons is that concern that once I get all the volumes, a newer, better release comes out.