What song means "Dragonball" to you?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

What song means "Dragonball" to you?

Post by VenomSymbiote » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Ever since the music in Dragonball was replaced, we've had people argue from here and there about why they think Kikuchi's/Faulconer's/Yamamoto's music is better than any other version. And all the while, these valiant crusaders fight to the end to prove the other wrong.

So for once, I'm gonna try and avoid that.

Instead of asking stuff like, "Why do you prefer the other's music", I'm going to ask

What music makes you think of OR means "Dragonball" to you?

At the very core, these arguments stem from the fact that different music means "Dragonball" to other people. So, for the people reading this, what are the songs, that without fail, make you smile and think of our favorite show? Is it a Faulconer track? A BGM track? An image song? A song that totally doesn't relate to Dragonball at all? I'm curious.

For me, the one song that always makes me remember what DBZ is to me is the song that plays during the credits of the game "Legendary Super Warriors." When this song plays, the credits roll, and it goes through this montage of characters, starting with Gohan and ending with Goku. Everytime I watch it, I get this good feeling, and memories start flooding back to me. It reminds me of how much I love this 20 year-old Japanese show.

What about you?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Tenka-ichi Gohan feels very Dragon Ball series-ish feel me. And I can't help but hear Saban's music when I think of the Saiyan arc. Probably 'cause these aare the songs I first associated with the series.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Without question, it has to be Mezase Tenkaichi.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:27 pm

For me, it's Faulconer's DBZ theme. Either that, or some of the more epic themes in the dub score, like Gohan Fights Frieza, the SSJ3 theme, Ginyu transformation, Heroic Trunks, or The Dragon theme. Hell, almost every Faulconer song makes me think of DBZ when I hear it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:31 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:For me, it's Faulconer's DBZ theme. Either that, or some of the more epic themes in the dub score, like Gohan Fights Freeza, the SSJ3 theme, Ginyu transformation, Heroic Trunks, or The Dragon theme. Hell, almost every Faulconer song makes me think of DBZ when I hear it.
I agree with that!

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Raki wrote:Without question, it has to be Mezase Tenkaichi.
I would agree with this, especially for the original Dragon Ball series.

For Dragon Ball Z specifically, WE GOTTA POWER just edges out CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA. But then I've watched a lot of Boo arc stuff lately so maybe that's why.

And as far as GT is concerned, it's obviously got to be the Dragon Ball GT rap. Or maybe Dan Dan. One or the other.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Oddly enough, when I think "Dragon Ball", I think "Dragon Ball Densetsu", the end theme of the third DB movie. That or "Aitsu wa Son Goku". Those songs just stand out to me as capturing the adventurous spirit of the franchise.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Shigeru
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shigeru » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Makafushigi Adventure!
[b][url=http://twitter.com/ShigeruTurbo]Twitter[/url][/b]
I like the English dub. Kill me.
Fan since 1995.

RogueA007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RogueA007 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:04 pm

I have no regret in saying that the song that will nearly instantly pop Dragon Ball memories into my head is......

Rock the Dragon. It's kinda like the "Head-On" commercial, it has such blatently annoying lyrics ("Dragon, Dragon, Rock the Dragon, DRAGON BALL ZEEEE~!) that repeat over and over again, making one absolutely remember that THIS IS DRAGON BALL Z.

Not only did it drive me insane, but plenty of my friends, whether they were Dragon Ball fans or not! None of the other English DBZ themes had that sort of awesome power, I think.....

(Comparative to oh....the first US Digimon Intro? Digimon are the champions! :lol:)

However, CHA-LA-HEAD-CHA-LA, We Gotta Power, Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku, Unmei no Hi: Tamashii vs Tamashii, and Solid State Scouter will also make me think about DBZ fairly quickly, but, it's a different sort of recall which I could say probably reflects the different versions themselves. Rock the Dragon makes me excited and um, for a lack of better words, "Rockin" to watch the show. Japanese DBZ/GT songs make me think about the more refined parts of Dragon Ball, you know, the acting, plot, character, art, and so forth, and not just the fact that it's an "awesome cartoon, rar!".

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:20 pm

RogueA007 wrote:
(Comparative to oh....the first US Digimon Intro? Digimon are the champions! :lol:)
Oh, so that's what it says? XD Wow, I love the US Digimon theme, and up until now, I had no idea what the hell that line was!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:29 am

Makafushigi Adventure is definitely at the top for me, though if we disregard the more obvious choices, like theme songs or BGM from defining moments in the series, I'll say Moero! Dragon Soldiers is pretty high on the list, despite never actually appearing in the series itself.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:36 am

Like I say to every favorite DB music question, it has to be DragonBall Densetsu. Hands down, best DB song everz!
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 am

Couple things for me.

Anything using the specific synth sounds we used for DBZ makes me think of DBZ. Not any specific piece of music. I could sit down and improvise something using those synths right now and it would make me think of DBZ, hell just one note would do it...a monkey could have pressed it. Not saying its a perfect heavenly made match mind you, it's an association I have imprinted on my brain.

The Garlic Jr. theme from the Japanese version and other common music from that series because I watched the Garlic Jr Japanese tapes originally. The Funi voice actors weren't done yet so they had sent us the originals to work with. That was the most I'd ever heard of the Japanese score.

Head Chala also of course :)

Oh and the Rock the Dragon, I've heard that a zillion time too in association with the show. I haven't heard enough GT music to make an association there.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:33 am

Dragon Ball Densetsu is awesome, but one song I listen to over and over again is Red Ribbon Army by the Wonderland Gang...

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:03 pm

For DB, "Makafushigi Adobenchâ!"

For DBZ, "WE GOTTA POWER"

For DBGT, "Sabitsuita Mashingan de Ima o Uchinukô"
Last edited by Saiyajin no Tatsujin on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Faulconer's Energy Disc Music, used primarily in the end of the Goku-Freeza battle. I love the song in large part because it's so video game-esque, like something you'd hear from the SNES era of gaming.

As for the Japanese scores and songs:
Mezase Tenkaichi for DB,
the battle theme from DBZ (part 2 of the Ginyu Force track on the Daizenshuu set),
Dan Dan for GT, and
Dragon Soul (Orchestra Ver.) for DBKai.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:51 pm

I don't really like any of the vocal songs. I'll listen to Cha-la, or We Gotta Power, but they're just openings, not something you'd find on my iPod... Okay well they are on my iPod but it's on "Skip when shuffling." I'm not a fan of Hironobu Kageyama, I don't like his style of vocals. I love the background music though! So if I had to pick a background track that is Dragon Ball to me, I would pick...

Dragon Ball: Dragon Ball of Mystery - Track 5 of Disc 2 on Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z.
It's opens with a more up beat Makafushigi Adventure then transitions into something dark and mysterious, almost Arabic sounding, it makes me think of a desert. Then another serious sounding song with some snare drums, I can almost see the Red Ribbon Army marching over the sandy hills. Then finally a epic haunting melody, with some leading Tubas or maybe Baritones, that makes me think of something larger than life. Almost like I have just finished riding up to the lookout on a powerpole and I'm seeing Kami's Temple for the first time.
Of course, in the show these were all split up and used at different times. :P

Dragon Ball Z: The Fearsome Ginyu Special Corps - Track 10 of Disc 4 on Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z
This song opens with lone, smooth jazz-esque, muted trumpet, followed two more, then some strings, as they all get a little louder they crescendo into a transition with some snare rolls into my favorite part. At this point there's a steady pounding electric bass, accompanied by some brass, there are some strings in there, some sparse percussion, and it's all topped off with a flute "Ba-da-bop-bah!" It's great. Then this part transitions into a song that we've all heard millions of times. I swear to god, if this song wasn't played at least twice in every episode when we were on Namek, then I'll be surprised. But it's pretty good, nonetheless. Some powerful orchestral strikes, some leading tubas, and some steady strings in the background. It's a good track.

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Faulconer's Cell theme has always been a favorite of mine, and whenever I hear it I think of my favorite moments in db.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Raki wrote:Without question, it has to be Mezase Tenkaichi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MeYqdLkgwk

I will have to agree with you there. Other than that, I will have to say Hikari no Tabi for Dragon Ball Z and Dan Dan for GT.

plusloud

Post by plusloud » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Chôsenjô (挑戦状). Not sure what the rules are on YT links, but it's searchable by the kanji either way. That, and most people here probably know the lyrics to it regardless... >.>;
Umm... just call me Remy, already. :p