Kai Episode 37 (20 December 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2943
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Kai Episode 37 (20 December 2009)

Post by coola » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:35 am

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 37, aired 20 December 2009

悪夢の超変身!戦闘力100万のフリーザ
Akumu no Chō Henshin ! Sentōryoku 100 Man no Furīza
A Nightmarish Super Transformation! Freeza's Battle Power Reaches One Million

Cover DBZ episodes 77&78,end when Freeza stab Kuririn {Nice new chorous song}

User avatar
Bura
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by Bura » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:21 am

I really liked it that they used "Only a Chilling Elegy ~The Theme Of FREEZA~" as an insert song. It was really fitting, if you ask me. :)

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12965
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 pm

Yeah, great musical cues in this episode. And I love Nakao bringing back his usual voice change for form two.
She/Her | 29 | Bisexual | Certified Dragon Ball Fangirl since October 1998

Vino
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Post by Vino » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Almost all the episode was redrawn, which is pretty impressive, some of them were unneceassary like some Piccolo ones, but they were better than the usual ones. I like how Freeza's old voice returned for form 2, I just wish he used it for form 1 :P

I'm not sure what to think of the inserted music...its..different..

User avatar
Timo
Regular
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 2:10 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Timo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Wow, the end was epic.

User avatar
NeptuneKai
I Live Here
Posts: 3576
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:36 pm

That insert song was SO bad ass. This is my new favorite moment in Kai.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

User avatar
Son Wukong
Regular
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Also Kame House

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:28 am

Would be so awesome if someone could provide English lyrics.

User avatar
Sprite Satan
Regular
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:25 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:45 am

Son Wukong wrote:Would be so awesome if someone could provide English lyrics.
kenisu3000 did just that. A month ago, in fact!

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=12053

It's song number 10.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:28 am

While it works well, I find myself worried that it'll be overused quite a bit in the coming episodes. Though I could be wrong.

-Corey

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16462
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:34 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:While it works well, I find myself worried that it'll be overused quite a bit in the coming episodes.
Spot-checked it myself (especially after reviewing the damn CD) and I'm feeling the same way. I think it worked incredibly well, but it has the potential (more-so than any of the other inserts thus far) to be incredibly reused, recycled, and therefore annoying and will lose its point. I think that's part of what's scaring me a little bit about having all of these insert songs ahead of time:

(1) I'm losing a bit of that jaw-dropping surprise aspect by even knowing about them first, and...

(2) We have the potential to be flooded with insert songs. If we have tons of them, don't they stop being special? That's what made DBZ's insert songs so great -- there were only four of them, and they were each used only once (OK, so "Battle Point Unlimited" was used twice, but at least it was within the same episode). I think the original DB was pushing it with insert songs and how often a couple of them were re-used, and it looks like Kai is following suit.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
RoarkVegeta
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Flower Mound, TX

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:30 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:While it works well, I find myself worried that it'll be overused quite a bit in the coming episodes.
Spot-checked it myself (especially after reviewing the damn CD) and I'm feeling the same way. I think it worked incredibly well, but it has the potential (more-so than any of the other inserts thus far) to be incredibly reused, recycled, and therefore annoying and will lose its point. I think that's part of what's scaring me a little bit about having all of these insert songs ahead of time:

(1) I'm losing a bit of that jaw-dropping surprise aspect by even knowing about them first, and...

(2) We have the potential to be flooded with insert songs. If we have tons of them, don't they stop being special? That's what made DBZ's insert songs so great -- there were only four of them, and they were each used only once (OK, so "Battle Point Unlimited" was used twice, but at least it was within the same episode). I think the original DB was pushing it with insert songs and how often a couple of them were re-used, and it looks like Kai is following suit.
Yeah, I mean Dragonball Densetsu was used 3 times in a row between episodes. :/

Vino
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Post by Vino » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:57 pm

5 bucks saying the SSJ scene will be with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXiwt3fXdCc

User avatar
Timo
Regular
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 2:10 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Timo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:34 pm

You mean like this?

Vino
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Post by Vino » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:55 pm

Timo wrote:You mean like this?
Well yeah, but if I posted this video then I would have lost the bet since they may play it differently :P

User avatar
NeptuneKai
I Live Here
Posts: 3576
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Timo wrote:You mean like this?
Oh man if this comes into fruition I'm tempted to take back all the bad things I said about Kai. It is shaping up really really nicely.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Super Klonoa
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:37 am

Post by Super Klonoa » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Vino wrote:5 bucks saying the SSJ scene will be with this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXiwt3fXdCc
Huh, funny how I'm the original uploader of that and that its posted on here. lol

In a serious manner, yes, I assume that it will be the song for that scene, just due to the first few seconds of it alone. That, and SSJ Goku is in the background of the song's lyric page in the booklet.

Truly awesome song it is, btw, and VERY fitting for the SSJ.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:53 pm

Timo wrote:You mean like this?
Ugh, I got vibes of the Faulconer music for that scene. That moment should be big and dramatically orchestrated, like it's a force of nature being produced, not some mere moment of badassery.

Not that it isn't a decent track in its own right, I just wouldn't use it for that moment. I suppose I would enjoy it more than one of the same four instrumental pieces they play in every episode of Kai, though.

The Freeza insert song was used well.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Son Wukong
Regular
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Also Kame House

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 am

Sprite Satan wrote:
Son Wukong wrote:Would be so awesome if someone could provide English lyrics.
kenisu3000 did just that. A month ago, in fact!

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=12053

It's song number 10.
Ah, me see. Thanks

''The day I claim eternal life is the day love especially will have abandoned the worms '' :lol:
penguintruth wrote:
Timo wrote:You mean like this?
Ugh, I got vibes of the Faulconer music for that scene. That moment should be big and dramatically orchestrated, like it's a force of nature being produced, not some mere moment of badassery.

Not that it isn't a decent track in its own right, I just wouldn't use it for that moment. I suppose I would enjoy it more than one of the same four instrumental pieces they play in every episode of Kai, though.
Here's my take on that song in combination with Goku's transformation.
If they decide to use the first ''godly'' like part during the transformation, the whole scene will be ruined. Why? Well, that piece just sucks and it doesn't have any place in that particular scene. Even if you look at the song as a standalone that piece of music is off-putting compared to the rest of the song.

If they decide to skip the beginning and start somewhere later in the song, it might turn out well. But even then there are some aspects that I considered while I listened to the song.
-The first one is conditional and I guess only applies to people, like myself, who are known with the show for a long period of time. It’s the discrepancy I’m having with the modernity of the song and the knowledge of the age of the show.
-The second one is the composition of the song in combination with the animation. Where the song is very dynamic and it feels like there is some sort of a race going on, the animation is rather very static.
They might find some balance between these aspects and mangle a decent scene out of it, but I doubt it will be perfect.

You know which scene I think this song would combine perfectly with? Gohan’s first SSJ2 transformation. Think about it. The window panning to Gohan’s teary eyes while the dude is shouting ''SAKURETSU Super Dragon Soul’’ in Japanese. Even the lyrics fit Gohan’s character better than Goku’s.

Courtesy of kenisu3000:

‘’So embrace the love I protect with my hands
And set up proof of it in the cosmos

Get it! Don't close your eyes
Take it now and stand
Free yourself up from your fear’’

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:34 pm

I'm glad that the Song Collection tracks will be used in the show (at least some of them), even when not included on the regular soundtracks.
Some of the songs are so good that it would have been a waste not to use them, precisely like Only A Chilling Elegy, which I'm glad they used!
I'm surprised, cause I thought that if it was to be used, it would be when Freezer joins the small group, the scary calm music at the beginning being when he says his "congratulations, you've ruined my dream" speech, the church-like vocals when he says his first angry line (not yet yelling) and the rock starting right after when he yells his "I'll make you pay and die slowly!!!" part!
I haven't seen how its used in this episode, but I trust the production staff and you guys seem to think it was used well, so I can't wait to see that, it must be amazing!

Apart from that, one of you (Vino) said the episode was almost entirely redrawn?! I wonder why they would do that, but it sounds good, I can't wait to see it!

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Post by B » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:59 pm

This is starting to make me wonder.

When the heck would "Saiyan Blood" be appropriate for Vegeta? It's a cool song, but I can't think of any specific moment where it would fit.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Post Reply