Why Wasn't Piccolo In Movies 10 Through 13?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why Wasn't Piccolo In Movies 10 Through 13?

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 pm

I mean, I could maybe understand why he wasn't in movie 10. By that point, everyone had fought Broli in movie 8 already, with the exceptions of chibi Trunks and Goten.
Was it because they felt that he had been in enough of them already by movie 9, or what?

Kaboom

Re: Why Wasn't Piccolo In Movies 10 Through 13?

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:02 pm

Because the first 9 movies had been overloaded by his awesome. They needed to take a break.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Because he got sick of his role being "rescues Gohan, then gets knocked out".

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:05 am

He realized how useless he was at that point?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:26 am

I admit that his presence in some of the movies he appeared in was starting to get a bit repetitive, if not a little stale.
I could see him having made a possible presence in movie 13, though. Hildegarn was strong, but Piccolo still could've helped out on some capacity, while Goku figured what to do. It was the last of the Z-movies, afterall.
Last edited by Ultimate_DB_Fan on Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Someone more knowledgeable can feel free to correct me if needed, but I sincerely doubt that when Movie 13 was produced it was with the idea that it was the final one. It probably just "happened" that way. I'm sure that if 13 were made to have been the Last Word, they'd have found a way for Piccolo to be useful and/or give him a chance to comment on the situation, for the sake of his inclusion (particularly given his string of absences up until that point). Y'know, a la the new special.

Lovin' the new board, by the way. A subtle update but without any major changes in look and feel. I'm old; I fear change.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 pm

I think Piccolo was absent for the same reason that T'en, Chaozu and Yamcha were absent.
Well, 'cept for movie11. In movie11, I think Piccolo's absent because Gohan is absent. XD.
Movie12 would have been a fun place for a few random scenes of the Forgotten Warriors™ doing stuff, but it probably would have felt boggy at that point if it hadn't been planned well.

Movie13... well, Vegeta's one scene there is already extraneous fanservice, and seeing as everyone else quietly faded away before then, it'd be more abrupt to reintroduce them at that point. At least Vegeta made a little sense, what with the fight being near his pad.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:24 pm

I think it's because he wasn't major character anymore in main anime series at that time..... That's quite logical, same as Krillin, Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chaotzu left movies some time around Android arc
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:50 pm

>_> Because someone's a dumbass? I don't really know. Many of the warriors drop off through time as they become less powerful (ala the humans), but Pic has this rather pre-established bodyguard duty that he never fails in except for the last movies. That'd be reason enough to keep him in, even if he doesn't have a speaking part.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:00 pm

He probably wasn't in Movies 10 through 13 because Movies 10 through 13 were set in the Majin Boo Saga and afterwards, and by that time, Piccolo was basically a watcher from the sidelines, like the humans.

It does puzzle me why Kuririn was still in the movies, though. I cannot tell you how pissed off I was that it was Kuririn who saved Gohan, not Piccolo (Granted, it would've been a clishe again, but at least Piccolo would've gotten some screentime).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Velasa wrote:but Pic has this rather pre-established bodyguard duty that he never fails in except for the last movies.
IE, when Gohan becomes Mystic.

Anyway, Piccolo had hopped in to save Gohan in eight movies, then it was lampshaded in the 10th, Gohan wasn't in the 11th and by the 12th and 13th he was Mystic and really shouldn't need his bum saved by someone much weaker all the time.

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:15 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Because the first 9 movies had been overloaded by his awesome. They needed to take a break.
It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.
It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:18 pm

goodguy777 wrote:It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.
Oh geez. I don't like where this is going. He is going on a rampage because he himself is sick of getting that as an answer.

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:
goodguy777 wrote:It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.
Oh geez. I don't like where this is going. He is going on a rampage because he himself is sick of getting that as an answer.
No, I'm not because It's fact that Dragon Ball is a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:22 pm

goodguy777 wrote:
Khalid Shahin wrote:
No, I'm not because it's fact that Dragon Ball is a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.
Calm down.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Just ban the troll if he doesnt stop trollin`

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:24 pm

goodguy777, now you're just spamming. Knock it off.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:28 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:goodguy777, now you're just spamming. Knock it off.
With due respect, I'm not spamming. Dragon Ball is a gag manga because it was not really intended to become an action packed manga. I call this unfair treatment, authorities were allowed to instantly say that dragon ball is a gag manga in any thread while I'm not.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm

goodguy777 wrote:With due respect, I'm not spamming. Dragon Ball is a gag manga because it was not really intended to become an action packed manga. I call this unfair treatment, authorities were allowed to instantly say that dragon ball is a gag manga in any thread while I'm not.
This is going to be your final warning.

You are incredibly inconsistent from thread to thread, accepting what some people have to say, ignoring others, all without any discernible reason or pattern. The only thing that is consistent is that you like to claim you are being abused, and that people are putting words in your mouth.

Neither of these things are truth, and it is coming off as incredibly obnoxious. You sarcastically change your answers at the drop of a hat in some strange attempt to shove things back at the very people who are doing their best to have conversations with you. I mentioned before how people are losing their patience with you, and yet you make absolutely no attempt to work with the community as a whole to deal with this.

This is unacceptable, and will no longer be tolerated.

As for everyone else, you are expected to follow the same rules. If you are not being respectful of your peers, if you are not contributing anything more than one or two words to a thread, if you are posting ridiculous pictures as a response with no verbal contributions, you will be warned and dealt with up to and including a full ban.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote:if you are posting ridiculous pictures as a response with no verbal contributions, you will be warned and dealt with up to and including a full ban.
My bad. I only posted it because it was posted in a topic a few years back so I thought stuff like that was okay. I'll stop with that crap.

Back onto this topic. Piccolo wasn't in the later movies because the Saiyans freaking overshadow everything, but I guess he could still be in comedic relief similar to how he was in the Buu saga, or, like someone said, come saved Gohan in Broly Second Coming.