Dragon Ball: Introduction into manga/anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball: Introduction into manga/anime?

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Dragon Ball Z wasn't my first anime, it was more like my 4th. There were other anime shows that were airing before DBZ started being airing like Pokemon, Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:37 pm

DB was not even my first manga since I have been reading manga since 1998 or 1999, I think mine was some Pokemon manga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

nachochip

Post by nachochip » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:15 am

Yes it did. I was a big cartoon watcher, and right when Dragon Ball Z started airing on Cartoon Network in 98(I think it was 98) it caught my eye.

After the show started repeating from episode 1, I went to Blockbuster Video looking for tapes of episodes after whatever episode they stopped on. What I found was the Kidmark Dragon Ball tapes, and a lot of other shows I never heard of. I started renting things like Ninja Scroll and MD Geist and have been an anime fan ever since.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:15 pm

It wasn't my first anime, but it was one of the earlier ones I saw (starting watching anime in 1996 with Sailor Moon, and discovered DBZ in '97 or '98). Although, there were a couple of anime that I watched when I was younger that I didn't know were anime at the time: The Little Bits (airing on Nicktoons, in the early 90's, I think?), and Voltron (on Betamax tapes! :lol: ).

As for manga, it's pretty much the same. Sailor Moon came first, and I collected the Dragonball manga around the year 2000 (in Japanese).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 pm

mysteriousdbzgt wrote:Dragon Ball Z wasn't my first anime, it was more like my 4th. There were other anime shows that were airing before DBZ started being airing like Pokemon, Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing.
London got Gundam Wing before DBZ? In the US DBZ came over in '95 or '96 while Wing came to the US in 2000.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:21 pm

The first anime that I ever saw, to my knowledge, was probably Ronin Warriors (and at that time, of course, I had never heard of Yoroiden Samurai Troopers). My memory isn't very clear about which came first, but I remember a lot of Sailor Moon, too. My first love was Pokemon and I'm almost certain that Dragon Ball was my first manga.

www.KristaMichaels.com

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:22 am

It definitely wasn't my first Anime, since before I was five I was already utterly in love with films like Unico and The Enchanted Journey that ran on the Disney Channel back in the old days when it was still awesome. Even disregarding things I didn't realize were anime, back in.... 97? I was already aware that Pokemon wasn't really from here.

Manga wise however, I'm almost certain it was the first one I ever read. I still remember being able to walk into the mall, slip into the comic book shop and leaf for the new releases for the individual comics that were put out ages ago ^^ I've still got those first 11 or so issues and kind of want the rest some day despite having most of the tankobon at this point. There was just something enjoyable about them in the large format, and the letters section frozen in time from way back in the day. And the fanart! Oh, Piccolo Love Fest! So much fun.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:39 am

Those monthlies are awesome. I started collecting after the viz tankobon were already mostly out. However, they were my first real exposure to Freeza-sama, and for that I have been collecting them for years. Endless.....tiring.....long....fruitless...years.

Seriously, why are those things so fucking hard to find!?
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog