"Over 9000" kept in Dragon Ball Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

"Over 9000" kept in Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:59 am

So, I was wondering. With FUNimation announcing that they are doing DB Kai under the title "Dragon Ball Z Kai", do you think "Over 9000" would be kept in the dub?

Frankly, I'm thinking that they might. It's on the same line of thought as whether or not their script will improve. I'm thinking that their script will improve, but not greatly, and that, probably, the "Over 9000" line will be kept in.

Thoughts?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Re: "Over 9000" kept in Dragon Ball Kai?

Post by Sprite Satan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Now, I don't hate the "Over 9000" thing like some people, including VegettoEX himself I believe, do, but I would be PISSED if they kept it for two reasons.

1) It's an inaccurate line, created for the dub script for an asinine reason (fitting the mouth flaps as if it's vital when half the time they still talk through clenched teeth and closed mouths anyway).

2) Attempting to re-do an unintentionally amusing (to some) line intentionally just reeks of lameness.

I have little to no opinion otherwise on any English Dragon Ball Kai script, because it will mostly be balls anyway.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:15 pm

I never understood how "9000" fits better than "8000." They're the same syllables.

It's - o - ver - eight - thou - sand
It's - o - ver - nine - thou - sand
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:22 pm

B wrote:I never understood how "9000" fits better than "8000." They're the same syllables.

It's - o - ver - eight - thou - sand
It's - o - ver - nine - thou - sand
Where did you get that people thought "9000" fits better than "8000"? From the internet meme?

Perhaps it's just that people (as in, dubbies) have gotten far too familiar to "9000" now, so if they change it to "8000", they'll be like "WTF, it's supposed to be 9000! The meme is lost, wah wah wah!"
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:53 pm

That depends on what they want to do with the translation.

If their objective is to have more faithful lines along with a more faithful dub in general, they will surely change the dub to the real "8000" value, otherwise they would get pointed at, like "they said they were going to have the ultimately faithful dub and translation, and they still make a mistake of 1000 in the value attributed to a character!!". If they want to do a more faithful dub, that famous line is clearly a perfect occasion to show "see guys? We've really reworked the script with much attention and care for the original Japanese feel".

However, if they don't officially announce an enhanced translation as their objective, chances are they won't bother changing the lines they felt free to choose back then, and won't bother to change a single value at one specific point among many others at other specific points.

So, I guess it all depends on their objective and what amount of work they are ready to put in to make Kai the ultimate american script.

yunzabit
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yunzabit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:27 pm

"Over 9000" is part of Dragonball fandom now. I personally don't care what Funimation decides but they're probably thinking that they owe it to US fans now since that line is so well known.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:47 pm

What do they care about accuracy? They're bringing back terribly inaccurate voices, so why not indulge fan spooge like "OVER 9000" as well?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:49 pm

I still don't get why the line is popular, regardless of the translation. It's not funny... or am I missing something? Anyhow, I vote for 8,000 to be in the new dub.

www.KristaMichaels.com

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:52 pm

@Mountain:

its a HUGE funny joke for the US of the 9000, so much so as they have gone against the japanese even when the scene is in video games.

BUT about the new dub, I didnt see the Kai episodes [or even if they kept this scene] but when Goku had to make King kai laugh...is that still in? It was funny in the dub but when I wanted it in JP and read the subtitles, it was swing and a miss, it wasnt funny at all and was just stuff that rhymed at the end instead of ACTUAL jokes.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:07 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:@Mountain:

its a HUGE funny joke for the US of the 9000, so much so as they have gone against the japanese even when the scene is in video games.

BUT about the new dub, I didnt see the Kai episodes [or even if they kept this scene] but when Goku had to make King kai laugh...is that still in? It was funny in the dub but when I wanted it in JP and read the subtitles, it was swing and a miss, it wasnt funny at all and was just stuff that rhymed at the end instead of ACTUAL jokes.
Wasn't that the idea though? Really lame jokes?

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:08 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:@Mountain:

Well, I'm in the US and have been a Dragon Ball fan for over ten years. I own the VHS tape with the Ocean dub of Vegeta saying, "It's over 9000!" I have seen the numerous YouTube parodies and I have seen most things that FUNimation have contributed (including the mindless insertion of 9000 on the scouter reading of the Dragon Box Z menu). Still, I don't get it. What is the "HUGE funny joke"? Will someone explain it to me, please?

www.KristaMichaels.com

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Mountain wrote:I still don't get why the line is popular, regardless of the translation. It's not funny... or am I missing something? Anyhow, I vote for 8,000 to be in the new dub.
Brian Drummond's original delivery was funny because of how much he stretched the "thousaaaaand!" to match the silly lip flapping going on in the Japanese version, even though Ryo Horikawa's original delivery was a lot more restrained. The same thing happened with Vegeta asking Gohan "Understaaaaand!?"
In Season 3, though, Freeza's laughing before he kills Krillin also looks weird and the dub just changes him to actually say something so it doesn't look as odd.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:04 pm

I don't wanna hear 9000; I'm tired of it, never really found it overly funny, and I'd rather they stick to the actual translation of that line. :p

So yes, I vote for 8000.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:20 pm

I hope they change it, but I would not ruin the project of they did not.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 pm

They couldn't even keep it out of their commercial for the first Dragon Box.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Keep it. They'll keep the 9000 quote since Mr. Brian Drummond did it in the Ocean days, Sabat will still do it.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Sabat mentioned at a con once how he had them change 8000 to 9000 for one of the Sparking games, they'll probably change it in the Kai dub as well. It's honestly one of the most insignificant changes in the entire series. Who gives a shit about power levels anyways?
­

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 am

Taku128 wrote: It's honestly one of the most insignificant changes in the entire series. Who gives a shit about power levels anyways?
I've been wondering that since I opened this thread.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:05 am

Now that we know Sabat's directing it, it's almost guaranteed to be 9,000.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:06 am

If you care, congratulations, you are a better fan than I.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki