Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragonball Kai dub?

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Xyex wrote:Tao's listed as a mercenary in the games now, so it's something the realized they goofed on and fixed. I'm guessing no one bothered to fact check the first time Tao appeared (which I think was in their Z run) and they just saw him working with the RRA and assumed he was an active member.
Is he? Mind you I haven't played anything since BT3, but I think he's still "General Tao" there.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:38 pm

I think that Freeza should've been voiced by the guy who did The Riddler in Batman: TAS, only slightly deeper.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:57 pm

with his: KAMAY HAMAY HA.
You need to get your ears checked. I quite clearly heard "Kame Hame Ha".
Is he? Mind you I haven't played anything since BT3, but I think he's still "General Tao" there.
No, he's listed as Mercenary Tao in BT3.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Xyex wrote:
The pronunciation would be the same for both wouldn't it?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:35 pm

Xyex, please include the user name in your quotes. It's added automatically if you just use the darn button! :D

As for the pronunciation, it's rarely been an issue for them when saying it as a long, drawn-out version. They're almost forced to get it right. It's only when it's said aloud in casual conversation that it comes out with a weird emphasis as "ka - MAYA - MAYA".

In dub conversation, the "me" and "ha" get strung together to create that "maya" sound that just doesn't exist in the actual word.

Do they also still add the redundant "Wave" after it?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Xyex wrote:
In that trailer it sounded like he said "Kame Ahme Ah". At about 14 seconds sounds like he says "AH".

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Xyex, please include the user name in your quotes. It's added automatically if you just use the darn button! :D
Unless I'm quoting only one line of the post I tend to copy out whatever I'm quoting into a wordpad and then write my post up in that, as opposed to in the reply box. It's just faster to type just [­quote][­/quote] than go back and look up the name and stick it in there. I've been doing it that way since I joined in 2004. :lol:

I'll include names as/when I remember too, though, but an almost 6 year habit is hard to break.
SSJSteve wrote:
Xyex wrote:
In that trailer it sounded like he said "Kame Ahme Ah". At about 14 seconds sounds like he says "AH".
Meh. Sounds exactly the same to me as in the JP audio for B3 and BT3.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Do they also still add the redundant "Wave" after it?
I don't really mind when they do that, it seems like an effective way to explain the term to casual viewers while maintaining the flow of conversation. Sort of like Viz's lines like "I am Kaio-sama, the Lord of Worlds!"
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Not that I've heard for a long while. I thought that was only in Dragon Ball?
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:58 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Not that I've heard for a long while. I thought that was only in Dragon Ball?
I can vividly remember the Z narrator talking about people being blasted with Kamehameha waves.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:56 pm

UristtheGreat wrote:I think that Freeza should've been voiced by the guy who did The Riddler in Batman: TAS, only slightly deeper.
That would make many Smallville fans happy.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
UristtheGreat wrote:I think that Freeza should've been voiced by the guy who did The Riddler in Batman: TAS, only slightly deeper.
That would make many Smallville fans happy.
Aye, it would indeed...however Glover would cost far too much. That Troy Baker chap might be a good glove-fittin', though...but that might just be because I loved him in Darker Than Black.
She/Her

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 am

Better yet, let's just get Mark Hamill to do the voice of Freeza.

My god. I would love that so much.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:06 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Better yet, let's just get Mark Hamill to do the voice of Freeza.

My god. I would love that so much.
In a perfect world... that would happen.

Hardly anyone can sound more menacing.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 am

SSJSteve wrote:
Xyex wrote:
I heard "Ka may ha may HAHHHH!!!".

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Regarding the upcoming dub, Sean Schemmel has now weighed in with his opinions via Facebook:
Sean Schemmel wrote:Here's what you guys don't know, but need to. Chris Sabat has gone far beyond the call of duty behind the scenes to make this version happen in an amazing way that it did not before. He has donated much of his personal time and energy into this, and has been extraordinarily picky with the direction, as well as double checking japanese meaning against the adaptation for accuracy as well as entertainment value. If it were not for him personally, I would probably not be able to be a part of it. On a technical note, sound quality will be unmatched to the previous due to the amazing and highest quality gear available at Okratron as well as Rawly Pickens golden ears checking every single line for audio quality. It's the way it should have been done to begin with, but that's 20/20 hindsight. I am thrilled about the new cast, and no offense to my awesome castmates, but my new favorite voice for DBZ Kai is the Narrator. You're going to love it. Also, I am still awesome.
Chris Sabat replied:
Christopher Sabat wrote:Hey Sean! Glad you popped in and thanks for the vote of confidence.

This version of DBZ means a lot to me. It's extremely rare that you get a chance to do something you did 10 YEARS ago all over again. And I'm not wasting the chance. We're fixing things that were wrong with the first version and trying to make it better, which is why you'll see some changes. But we don't want to make Kai so radically different that doesn't feel like DBZ anymore, so they may be some things that we don't change that you wish we would. But I honestly believe you're going to find DBZ Kai to be a totally mature version of a show, a version that grew up over the last 10 years and has come home stronger, well trained and a hell of a lot cooler.
Whether we will agree or disagree come the final product remains to be seen, but either way it's nice to see someone closely involved with the show A) admit to mistakes that were made in previous versions and B) talk up the new version with personal conviction.

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:15 pm

Ah, as I somewhat suspected: this is a off-campus dub for FUNimation (i.e. not recorded as FUNimation like the games have been).
She/Her

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:26 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Regarding the upcoming dub, Sean Schemmel has now weighed in with his opinions via Facebook:
Sean Schemmel wrote: On a technical note, sound quality will be unmatched to the previous due to the amazing and highest quality gear available at Okratron as well as Rawly Pickens golden ears checking every single line for audio quality. It's the way it should have been done to begin with, but that's 20/20 hindsight.
Very good news to hear.

Thanks for posting this. :wink:

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:27 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:But we don't want to make Kai so radically different that doesn't feel like DBZ anymore, so they may be some things that we don't change that you wish we would.
I can see a lot of people being pissed off by this, because what he means is they don't want to be really different from their existing dub. If the dub turned out radically different because it was as accurate as possible to the original, it'd still feel like DBZ, because... Well, it would be DBZ as it should be.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Chris Sabat wrote:But we don't want to make Kai so radically different that doesn't feel like DBZ anymore, so they may be some things that we don't change that you wish we would.
I figured this would happen. Attack names, character names, misspellings, and memorable lines will probably remain the same. The script, however will probably be as accurate as FUNimation's One Piece.
I'm a little disapointed that they don't have the balls to change some of the really wrong stuff like Tien and Freeza's voice actress, but I'm excited at the prospect of having an accurate script, seasoned voice actors, and a really dedicated director.

Chris Sabat loves the show, he respects the source material, and he understands what American fans want. I can't imagine somebody better.

Also, I thought Ocatron was at FUNimation.