Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragonball Kai dub?

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:58 pm

Damn, I was hoping we'd at least get "Tenshinhan," but I guess the cast list should've tipped me off. I mean, like I've said previously, I don't mind Krillin, or Master Roshi for that matter (Hell, I still don't get what's up with the two names in the Japanese version anyway) so most of this won't bother me much. As long as Vegeta wasn't taken away from his daddy by Freeza, I guess.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:16 pm

The reason "Master Roshi" has two "names" is because you just assume that they're names (which is hard not to do after watching the dub). Muten Roshi is one of his titles. It means immortal master. There are two problems with him being called Master Roshi. One problem is that you're calling him Master Master. The other problem is that it makes it sound like Roshi is his name (which it's not; he doesn't have a name).

So I'm hoping they either call him Muten Roshi or Immortal Master. Schemmel did say that Sabat was "checking japanese meaning against the adaptation for accuracy", after all. It's actually quite likely to happen, too. Calling him Muten Roshi in the dub might make fans think "why didn't they say 'master'?", but that's not really going to confuse them or anything; it still has Roshi in it. Or if they go with Immortal Master, they won't even think anything of it. It's just a title after all.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 pm

Oh hey, you learn something new every day. I remember reading years and years back that both of them just meant "Turtle Hermit", so it confused me.

(Actually, come to think of it, I think Viz had Goku refer to him as "Master Muten" at one point.)
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Really? Master Muten, huh? I've called him that before, but I haven't seen it in the comic (haven't read enough).

But about Turtle Hermit... Kame-Sen'nin is the title that means Turtle Hermit (or Turtle Sage). Kame equals turtle. That's where Kamehame-Ha gets it's name. Well, that and King Kamehameha. Lol.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:But we don't want to make Kai so radically different that doesn't feel like DBZ anymore, so they may be some things that we don't change that you wish we would.
I can see a lot of people being pissed off by this, because what he means is they don't want to be really different from their existing dub. If the dub turned out radically different because it was as accurate as possible to the original, it'd still feel like DBZ, because... Well, it would be DBZ as it should be.
And, again, it'd be DBZ as you think it should be. Not as the majority of the fanbase thinks it should be. You really have to learn the difference here. What you want =/= what the majority of the fanbase expects. Really, all this line means is that some things wont be change so much as to alienate the existent fanbase. And that's really a "no duh" notion. There was never, ever, any chance, at all, that FUNi would make such drastic changes to their old script that fans of the original dub would be left going "What the hell?" over them.

What does this mean in the end? It means that despite changes the dub characters, while likely to be more like their Japanese counterparts, will still be recognizable in personality to those who've only seen the dub.
Innagadadavida wrote:I'm a little disapointed that they don't have the balls to change some of the really wrong stuff like Tien and Freeza's voice actress,
Neither of these come close to 'really wrong' however.

They barely even rate as issues.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Xyex, how on Earth can you say that these things would "alienate" the audiences?

The uncut releases said Mr. Satan, and that somehow didn't "alienate" their standard dub audience. A video game said "Son Goku", and that didn't somehow "alienate" their standard dub audience.

A few more minor kicks towards authenticity isn't as drastic as you make it out to seem, and only has positive benefits in the end.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Oh, I'm not really talking about the the little bits and things, like names. I'm talking about the more drastic differences in characterization that exist in some cases. Goku's non-hick-ness, for instance. Occasional familiar lines (though hopefully not 9,000 ><) and so on.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Damn, Chris Sabat is uber-dedicated to this. Why couldn't they have given him a bigger role back when they first did the dub? :P
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Xyex wrote:Oh, I'm not really talking about the the little bits and things, like names. I'm talking about the more drastic differences in characterization that exist in some cases. Goku's non-hick-ness, for instance. Occasional familiar lines (though hopefully not 9,000 ><) and so on.
I think Sabat's going to stick to the original characterization of the Japanese script. He seems very adamant about making it as close to the original as possible without changing things like voices. He wants EVERYONE to like it, so he's giving dub fans the voices they want, while giving fans of the original the script, characterization, and amazing acting they want.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Speaking of the script, I have to wonder about language. Shall Gokû and friends be cursing?
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Speaking of the script, I have to wonder about language. Shall Gokû and friends be cursing?
Probably.

Season 2 re-release was riddled with cursing.

And this is going to be a more accurate script, so there may be some colorful language.

Doubt it'll be as often as the japanese though, every other word kuririn or vegeta say is "DAMMIT"

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:06 pm

I wonder what exact radical changes Sabat is talking about. He didn't really give an example. I wish he did. I mean, if they pronounced everything better in the English dub to what the Japanese dub had, such as the names, and certain moves. I don't consider that a radical change. How would that make it so it does not feel like DBZ anymore?

Everything about the Japanese dub makes DBZ feel like DBZ also. So what possible changes is he talking about? Maybe it's the "Over 9000" thing. And the other funny memes people like, that they thought that made DBZ, DBZ? Or was it the music, the Bruce Faulconer track?

Sabat is not making any sense whatsoever. Everything was fine until he said that statement.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm just going to wait until I see the dub for myself. For all we know, Sabat might just be playing with words to try and please those who are already pissed off (like the crazy overractions to the recasts) while still maintaining the support of everyone else.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:17 pm

SSVegetto wrote:I wonder what exact radical changes Sabat is talking about.
I assumed he was talking about the script and whatnot being "changed" from their Z dub.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
SSVegetto wrote:I wonder what exact radical changes Sabat is talking about.
I assumed he was talking about the script and whatnot being "changed" from their Z dub.
I thought they already decided that the script was going to be close to the Japanese dialogue as they could possibly could get it. So I don't see that as a radical change.

Well, whatever , I'm sure I would be satisfied with their English dub either way. But I was just concerned for the people that hate Funimation's English dub of DBZ. I want them to be satisfied as well.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:33 pm

SSVegetto wrote:I wonder what exact radical changes Sabat is talking about. He didn't really give an example. I wish he did. I mean, if they pronounced everything better in the English dub to what the Japanese dub had, such as the names, and certain moves. I don't consider that a radical change. How would that make it so it does not feel like DBZ anymore?
By "we don't want to make Kai so radically different that [it] doesn't feel like DBZ anymore, so the[re] may be some things that we don't change that you wish we would", Sabat was probably referring to the voice cast. As much as people wish for them to get a different voice for Freeza, it's not going to happen. :(
Last edited by linkdude20002001 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:34 pm

The more Sabat speaks, the worse this sounds. He should keep his mouth shut until it's out there.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Xyex wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:But we don't want to make Kai so radically different that doesn't feel like DBZ anymore, so they may be some things that we don't change that you wish we would.
I can see a lot of people being pissed off by this, because what he means is they don't want to be really different from their existing dub. If the dub turned out radically different because it was as accurate as possible to the original, it'd still feel like DBZ, because... Well, it would be DBZ as it should be.
And, again, it'd be DBZ as you think it should be. Not as the majority of the fanbase thinks it should be. You really have to learn the difference here. What you want =/= what the majority of the fanbase expects.
What the majority of the fanbase expects =/= what the show should be like. It's nothing to do with what I like or want, it's just how the show was made. There's a reason Funi never dubbed another show in the same way they dubbed DBZ. In an ideal world, the only difference between dubs would be the language. Each audience should be able to watch a show in their native language and get the same experience the original audience got, which appears to be what Funi aims for now, and so they should.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:42 pm

So, taking another look at Chris's Facebook, I notice that a bit before Sean weighed in, we got this from Colleen Clinkenbeard:
Colleen Clinkenbeard wrote:Hey, guys! Had to throw a quick word in here, even though I just posted about it extensively on my page. I am so thrilled to get to be a part of the DBZ universe this time around! I hope I do it justice and I can promise to put everything I have into it (including most of the inside of my throat). For those of you who were fans of the original Japanese cast, we are trying to stay closer to the original youth of Gohan for the beginning of the show and let him grow vocally as he does in the animation. Chris is a phenomenal director and is so dedicated to making this series everything it can be. I think the result will be a fun new take on the character and the show in general and hope you'll give me a chance to be a part of the DB joy with you. :)
So, I don't actually have a Facebook account and can't access Colleen's as a result, anyone want to tell us what she says on her own account?

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:45 pm

My hopes are up, don't break my heart Funi. :lol:
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.