Super Saiyan Goku and Freeza Battle Power Debate

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

otakutrevan
Not-So-Newbie

Super Saiyan Goku and Freeza Battle Power Debate

Post by otakutrevan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:14 pm

I remember there was a original thread about this that was pretty lengthy. If someone could link it it'd be cool.

Kaboom

Re: Super Saiyan Goku and Freeza Battle Power Debate

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:39 pm

I don't remember anything recent, which probably means it was a LONG time ago. A quick look on my part didn't reveal anything, but maybe someone else can find the one you're talking about.

But if there's a particular question or issue you wanted to bring up, then feel free to just ask here. Starting a new discussion is preferable to bumping a really old thread, and there might be some new insight since it happened anyway.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 pm

There were several threads devoted to this topic, albeit while serving different functions. Notable highlights include the following:

A. The most in-depth analysis/debate pertaining to Goku and Freeza's battle powers can be found here. Excellent for reference.

B. A lesser discussion that highlights the opinion of (mis)translations of the Daizenshuu's battle powers for Goku and Freeza can be found here.

C. Duo's single-handed explanation of Freeza's power as explained from a manga-exclusive perspective can be found here

Under no circumstances should any of these threads be bumped.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks for the assist, Lemmy. Just remember, kids: necro-posting is a no-no!

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:09 pm

So basically, it all comes down to when you think Goku started using the Kaioken.
Trunks & Goten forever

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Obviously, Goku was using K-Ken for his ENTIRE battle with Frieza.

It just wouldn't add up, otherwise. 8)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:08 am

Thanos6 wrote:So basically, it all comes down to when you think Goku started using the Kaioken.
And if you think Goku should get more of a powerup from minor scuffs than Vegeta gets from having a gigantic hole blasted through him.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:34 am

Rocketman wrote:
Thanos6 wrote:So basically, it all comes down to when you think Goku started using the Kaioken.
And if you think Goku should get more of a powerup from minor scuffs than Vegeta gets from having a gigantic hole blasted through him.
Of course. He is ~GOKU~.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:33 am

Godo wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Of course. He is ~GOKU~.
This. You may not like it, or think it doesn't make sense, but I see no reason to actually doubt it. Goku got a ridiculously massive power boost because that's just how it goes.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Also, two other things that would explain Goku's bigger boost.

1) He was being set up as THE Super Saiyan at this point. Not just A Super Saiyan, but the ONLY one. Think about it; he was one his way to becoming the single, legendary warrior who was the strongest in the universe. His boosts were bigger because, uh... destiny?

2) Consider the circumstances of what happened to him for that last boost. I'm not just talking about him getting beaten up, I mean what happened right BEFORE he was beaten up, thanks to Ginyu. Goku's soul was literally torn from his body and plunked into someone else's. For all intents and purposes, that could have been treated by his Saiyan brain or body as something of a near-death experience. That little incident alone could, theoretically, have been precedence for a MASSIVE zenkai once Goku was returned to his body and healed.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 pm

On the pro-crazy zenkai side:

1) We're talking multiple zenkais in a short span of time under extreme gravity. In other words, he trained his zenaki ability as he had any other skill. Vegeta's zenkai would therefore be based entirely on the closeness to death, whereas Goku's no longer is.

2) Ginyu in Goku's body: Damage = that of someone with a BP of 23,000, zenkai = someone with a BP of 90,000. It's possible Goku's BP returning to normal (ie: stronger) resulted in a stronger zenkai gain.

EDIT:
3) Goku's mastered Kaioken by this point. It's possible the zenkai was affected by it.

4) Goku's surpassed his own potential by this point. This could have messed with how powerful zenkais become.

4b) Some or all of the above combined.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:41 am

Of course, Vegeta got some ridiculous boosts too. His rating goes up about 6,000 each time the two times in the healing tanks, which seems okay (18,000 to 30,000). But another two boosts later (Reacoom and Freeza) he surpasses Freeza's third form, which should put him well over 1,000,000.

It seems that potential Super Saiyans just get the cheapest power-ups. Maybe they should have kept exploiting that gimmick, instead of actually going Super. :mrgreen:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:06 am

It also might have something to do with the frequency of the boosts that ultimately makes them bigger. Like whatever part of the brain that controls them has been giving boost after boost, each a little bigger than the last, but is realizing, "oh damn, this isn't working, he's STILL getting beaten down again and again... it's time for a HUMUNGO-ZENKAI!" So suddenly BAM, you're soaring into ranges of over a million.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Also, we don't know the extent of Goku's wounds. Let's say a rib broke and got lodged INSIDE an internal organ. Healing is not the same as expelling and then healing, so it's possible he got closer to death than Vegeta.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Kaboom wrote:Also, two other things that would explain Goku's bigger boost.

1) He was being set up as THE Super Saiyan at this point. Not just A Super Saiyan, but the ONLY one. Think about it; he was one his way to becoming the single, legendary warrior who was the strongest in the universe. His boosts were bigger because, uh... destiny?
Wow, now that I think about it, that's pretty much the most logical explanation. And if Vegeta wants to bitch about, then as Piccolo once said, "If you're gonna blame anything, blame your own fate."

Also, reading the first thread, I don't understand why people are arguing as if Goku never got the ridiculously huge boost in the first place. This post in particular struck me as odd:
That deserves a pretty high ZPU
And that's exactly what it got. 90k to 300k, a 3.3 fold increase, he's greatest boost in power, ever.
The fact is, Goku DID get a ridiculous boost. The problem that most people are trying to figure out is HOW, he got such a big boost. Let's not pretend that it didn't even happen and try to downplay it.

"It's not whether you believe in unbelievably lower or higher numbers, it's going by gumption and what the Manga has to say."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:14 am

Dayspring wrote:Also, we don't know the extent of Goku's wounds. Let's say a rib broke and got lodged INSIDE an internal organ. Healing is not the same as expelling and then healing, so it's possible he got closer to death than Vegeta.
Vegeta's heart got punched out his back.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:00 am

Rocketman wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Also, we don't know the extent of Goku's wounds. Let's say a rib broke and got lodged INSIDE an internal organ. Healing is not the same as expelling and then healing, so it's possible he got closer to death than Vegeta.
Vegeta's heart got punched out his back.
And his spine shattered, yet he can walk fine!

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:26 pm

People still think Freeza's power wasn't in the hundred millions? Wow.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Nazi Cola wrote:People still think Freeza's power wasn't in the hundred millions? Wow.
They think that Goku was using Kaio-ken x10 from the beginning of his fight with Freeza, as absurd as it may sound.

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:06 am

Savage68 wrote:
Nazi Cola wrote:People still think Freeza's power wasn't in the hundred millions? Wow.
They think that Goku was using Kaio-ken x10 from the beginning of his fight with Freeza, as absurd as it may sound.
Yeah. I don't get it really. Goku at only 300,000 when everything in the manga says otherwise? Please. Vegeta was able to tango with 1st Form Freeza before going down, and even after a Zenkai where he stated he was strong enough to whoop on 3rd Form Freeza, he still practically shat his pants at Goku's newfound power before any fighting with 4th Form Freeza even took place. Unless they believe Goku just uses the Kaioken x10 nonchalantly while he's not even fighting, I just don't know.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.